Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Ord Level eng grinds to repeat student and dont know what texts to use?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, im giving grinds to a friend of mine, a repeat leaving cert student, and was wondering about recommendations for the texts to use for single and comparison and the poets to study (ordinary level)

Ive pretty much decided on philadelphia here i come as the single text, as he did this last year. But im really stuck on the comparisons. Can you really only study two?

Im considering my left foot(sorry not on this years course,damn three year help books!!!)(maybe i can leave out a film then?), plough and stars... and the curious incident of the dog at nighttime. Using relationships, themes and social setting of course. Anyone have recommendations for the most simple comparisons to use?

However i am completely stuck with the poetry... i really dont know which poems to study... can anyone give me some recommendations, especially teachers who are teaching the course, the guy got a d2 in english last year, so he does need some pointing in the right direction.

THANKS!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is he repeating externally? He only needs two, have you checked if his texts from last year are still on? For the poems, either pick from the poems or poets list-don't do both, it's too much.

Im considering my left foot, philadelphia... and the curious incident of the dog at nighttime

Be careful, My Left Foot isn't on the course this year!

Go to http://www.skoool.ie/examcentre_senior.asp?id=4727. It'll give you all the lists of prescribed poets and texts etc.

Eh, I've just realised that The Plough and the Stars isn't on either...
    Don't know how much use you are to your friend if you don't know the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 givinggrinds

deemark wrote: »
    Eh, I've just realised that The Plough and the Stars isn't on either...
    Don't know how much use you are to your friend if you don't know the course!

Actually deemark, its on the comparison, and obviously this is the reason why i am asking for help. If you dont have anything positive then dont say anything. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well before you edited your post you did say you were using the plough and the stars as the standalone text so I think deemark was just trying to be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 givinggrinds

Piste wrote: »
    Well before you edited your post you did say you were using the plough and the stars as the standalone text so I think deemark was just trying to be helpful.

I dont think that was very helpful, but suggestion taken on board.

can anyone give me some recommendations, especially teachers who are teaching the course

I was pointing out the fact that you were going to do an unprescribed text - yeah, really unhelpful:confused:

Advertisement