Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post delivery times from Ireland to Oz

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

HI

I am wondering how long post takes to get to Oz from Ireland. I am Melbourne so not out in the sticks. And I am only talking about a fairly light package, maybe with a few clothes and some CDs. It will be under about 2.5KG.

Any had any experiences with this? Good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I've had a few parcels delivered, usually about a week for me (in sydney)

two weeks if it has to be inspected (sometimes my parents put in chocolate + tea).

I've got about 10 parcels in 3 years and only once was I waiting more than 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anything ever sent over for me from Cork to Sydney usually took 5 to 7 days. Only ever had something inspected once but I dont think it added much to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Can anyone recommend any companies to send a box over? I'm sending over my laptop (cant leave my XPS behind) and a few clothes for interviews whenn I get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

If you send over a box via shippers, it can take 10 to 16 weeks, as they send it over in the big crates, so they keep it off the boat until it's full. Then there's quarantine time and inspection charges.
    So you're probably better off asking at the Post Office or at couriers about international parcel delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've had two parcels so far sent to NZ and it's take a max of 10 days, if not less. Funnily enough it seems to take longer to send stuff from
    NZ to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Can anyone recommend any companies to send a box over? I'm sending over my laptop (cant leave my XPS behind) and a few clothes for interviews whenn I get there.

I used executive excess baggage services. They were excellent. i used air freight as shipping takes up to 3 months. We sent the box teh day before we left Ireland, spent 2 weeks in Malaysia and it was waiting in Wellington airport. The only problem is you ahve to have a physical address to send it to in Aus/NZ. You an't just send it to the airport for custom reasons. Do you have any friends you cansend it to? We put my bfs parents address on it but we were still able to collect it from Wellington airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekwi

How long does a letter take to get from Ireland to NZ - the North Island - Rotorua area? I think sending clothes in a parcel works out as, if not more, expensive as excess baggage charges, no? I recently left 4 kilos of clothes with friend in Spain as Ryanair wanted to charge me €100 and it turns out that posting them from Spain is just as expensive. Will just have to collect them at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

You should check if it can be sent via sea mail as that should work out a good bit cheaper. Probably take a good while to arrive though - think in the region of 2ish months from Sydney to Cork. I'd put it in a good thick box though as they can go through hell in that amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

An Post registered post is your best bet... Although the max it can be insured for is 125 euro I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shalome

i send parcels tomy daughter in sydney and it usually takes 7 to 10 days. it cost aprox 35e for a 2kg parcel. hope this helps xx :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

shalome wrote: »
    i send parcels tomy daughter in sydney and it usually takes 7 to 10 days. it cost aprox 35e for a 2kg parcel. hope this helps xx :):)

Phew, thought this was never gonna get answered. OP can now go back in time and send the letter:p

Check the date shalome:P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My GF got a letter sent over in april, it arrived last week.
    3 months for a birthday card - assume it was lost forever as there was money inside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You could buy new stuff on Amazon and get it delivered to Oz or NZ for free !
    Great for sending presents (offer says it expires 30th Sept - but it was previously 15th Aug - so they might extend again)

See here for details

Free delivery to India and South Africa too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s444

Does anyone know how long it takes for an express post parcel to deliver from Oz to Ireland? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

5-10 days. It really varies depending on how lucky you get with connections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

s444 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an express post parcel to deliver from Oz to Ireland? thanks.

I normally work on five working days for post between Australia and OZ, so it might be a little faster with express post, although there is no promise that once the parcel is outside the control of Australia Post that it will be prioritised. However, I think I recall there are express international parcel labels / envelopes you can get in Australia Post? Might be better to get on of those rather than the standard express post.

When sending stuff from Ireland to Australia An Post have told me not to bother with their express international post system as the letters / parcels are only prioritised in Ireland and then it up to the other countries it passes through to also prioritise it which i never knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I went to post a birthday card to Ireland the other day, thought I might send it express. So for between 12-15$ I was told it would get there in 3-7 days. Normal post took between 3-10 and only cost around $2.50 so I went with the cheaper option and the risk that it might not get there for weeks as there was no track and trace code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Looking to send a parcel to the OH who is in perth for her Birthday.
    1-2kg. Jewellery, make-up, was thinking some tea leaves(will this get caught up in customs) and other small bits.

Package will probably value around 250 euro-ish. What is the best way to send it with An post? if it's registered does it have to be signed by the OH to recieve it? and if she's not there will it be send to a depot like in ireland?

Also is there any problems with customs if the parcels values more than a certain amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If you're not home to sign for parcel in Australia, postie will leave a collection card with address of where to collect it; usually post office or depot. Depending on suburb you're in, some are open mon-fri only and a few have half day on sat. You will need ID to collect it.
    Wouldn't think value is an issue? Certain items are not allowed in Auspost eg perfume, magnets
    List is here
    http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/dangerous-prohibited-goods-packaging-post-guide.pdf

I don't know any details of posting from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Crow92 wrote: »
    Looking to send a parcel to the OH who is in perth for her Birthday.
    1-2kg. Jewellery, make-up, was thinking some tea leaves(will this get caught up in customs) and other small bits.

Package will probably value around 250 euro-ish. What is the best way to send it with An post? if it's registered does it have to be signed by the OH to recieve it? and if she's not there will it be send to a depot like in ireland?

Also is there any problems with customs if the parcels values more than a certain amount?

Yeah, I'd go An Post. Have got several parcels from home with no issues.

If you send it registered she'll have to sign, if she's not home they'll leave a card and she can pick up at local PO. Declare it as a gift and it should not be subject to any duty by customs, unless you send lots of diamonds or something ;)
    Processed tea, e.g regular tea bags are fine but any loose tea might get checked so I'd err on side of caution and leave that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement