Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Fixie Fun

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

blorg wrote: »
    Hard to complain with 3T bars for a fiver. Bar tape is a personal thing, what you have could go well with that blue velvet saddle :D
    Ah we'll see when its all put together. My girlfriend bought a set of blue Continental GP4000s for it also. It might be over done in blue, I'm not sure.:o

At last its all done. Here she is:

P1020400.jpg

P1020399.jpg

P1020396.jpg

I've done about 50km or so so far and its great fun but my god its some work out. I seem to be pushing hard all the time! Some laugh too rolling into roundabouts trying to time everything for smooth passage through! Final results is 9kg all in! It gets a lot of looks and smiles in traffic too which is funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

jollylee wrote: »
    I've done about 50km or so so far and its great fun but my god its some work out. I seem to be pushing hard all the time! Some laugh too rolling into roundabouts trying to time everything for smooth passage through! Final results is 9kg all in! It gets a lot of looks and smiles in traffic too which is funny!

Iconic Orange Julius Bike! Well done, it looks great - I think it should earn you a nomination on the best bike category for the cycling forum awards. You're probably pushing hard because you've got a high gear ratio, that sprocket at the back, is it a 13 or 14t? I wasnt too gone on the blue & black bar tape but it looks ok with the wheels colour matched.

I'm also heavily recommending that you fit toe clips on your pedals. You'll find you have better control over the bike (and if you're not used to riding fixed, the toe clips help a lot for those times when you get jolted out of the pedals when you forget you cant free wheel along), and also you can start to use the upstroke on your legs, which'll help with the pushing hard.

Gearing is 42x13. Serious work out! It'll be good for me :-P

I'm managing ok without the toe clips but point noted. I've spd-sl's on my road bike so know the advantages. I might take a set from work that are left over from as new bike and fit them for a week or so!

Thanks for potential nomination too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That is a slammin' hottie of a bicycle! I think some steel toe clips and single leather straps would really finish it off, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hobojojo

Jollylee, how did your friend grind down the teeth on the 53T chainwheel to make the chain guard?? its a fantastic idea.

hobojojo wrote: »
    Jollylee, how did your friend grind down the teeth on the 53T chainwheel to make the chain guard?? its a fantastic idea.
    Thanks man. It was a nice idea really. I was comtenplating ways to protect my trousers from the teeth on the larger chain wheel when it dawned on me to just grind them off.:D

He put the chain wheel in a bench vice and ground them off with a hand-held grinder. He's a tidy work man in fairness. It shouldn't be a big deal for any local engineering metal shop.

grinding.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Nice build! The exact same colour scheme as I was gonna do for my roadie.. Tires and all!

The only things left to do on my fixer atm, are sort the chainline, then respray! Was black, gonna go white (metallic - friend is a car sprayer :D) but this is making me jealous!

Keep it shiney side up!

Advertisement