Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Performance car - €40k, €1k tax??

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭

Ive decided that i cannot stomach the highest rate of road tax any more, its now gone from 1,491 to 1,565 and given that i do so little driving it is getting a little galling.

so whenever i sell the m3 im going to go for something that will cost me a max of €1k per year to tax.

If i was buying tmrw, what 'performance' cars would i be able to get, for a max budget of €40k that i could tax for less than €1k?

looking for something more exotic and quicker than the likes of a golf gti or equivalent :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

BMW 123d M Sport 3-door - €42,965 and €150 road tax.....looks hideous though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:pac:

eurgh, hoping for petrol if at all possible :o and something s/h

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When you have 40k tied up in cars, allowing a marginal annual saving guide your hand when choosing could easily see the saving eroded by a change in depreciation. There are lots of things happening at the moment that could make your car depreciate more rapidly.

In a nutshell, be careful, you could shoot yourself in the foot in the pursuit of a marginal saving.

330d?? Same tax but better saving in resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Cyrus wrote: »
    :pac:

eurgh, hoping for petrol if at all possible :o and something s/h

You read my mind...:(

BMW 135i, 221g/km so its in the 1k (+5%) tax area and 5.3s to 60 is in the M3's performance ballpark.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/BMW+1+SERIES/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-113-240-4294966959-4294967135/advert.action?R=200841320676849&distance=293&postcode=BT9+5EB&channel=CARS&make=BMW&model=1+SERIES&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

Other than that what about a Audi TT?

Its either these or a 535d, new ones emit 182g/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

fletch wrote: »
    BMW 123d M Sport 3-door - €42,965 and €150 road tax.....looks hideous though

You can buy nearly new ones of these from the UK with a decent spec for 30k all in. They're quick and a great car but it is a diesel so no nice soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

best value performance car in Ireland at the minute I think - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lotus/Elise/111R/1212444/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The difference between the 1k road tax and what ur paying now is less than €1.70 a day, i think this might be in the back of your mind when u change as to what ur missing from the M3. Perhaps a sacrifice of a daily newspaper or coffee would make more sense. Its madness with the top rate of road tax, its putting perfectly good cars, most built for 15 or 20 years of trouble free motoring off the road and results in new cars having to be built to replace them, doing more damage to the environment in the process. I think there should be a flat €500 road tax for cars of that cc when they reach 5 years old to keep them on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

+1 to Tipsy Mac. It's harldy an extra euro a day. A newspapaer costs upwards of €1.70 but you can read them online.

I really can't understand the logic of spending €40k on a car to save ~€500 a year. It'll take 80 years to get back the saving.

because spending €500 a year on a depreciating asset is a lot better than spending €1,565 a year on a depreciating asset. The right car will also save a lot on petrol.

Go on, get the Elise - I know the car, it's immaculate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

maybe he just doesnt like the fact of who he's paying all that money to. I paid nearly €900 to tax mine - it brought tears to my eyes to think where it's going...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

superjosh9 wrote: »
    maybe he just doesnt like the fact of who he's paying all that money to. I paid nearly €900 to tax mine - it brought tears to my eyes to think where it's going...

It wouldn't bother me nearly as much to pay €900 a year for it to go to a Government fund to improve the country as it would to pay €300,000 for a shoddily built house to fund some rip-off merchant builder's new S500. but some people think differently on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How about an audi rs4, very nice motors,

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OT I know, but I could never understand this reasoning. If I pay tax to the govt, at least I know some of it is going towards schools, health, roads, etc - things that benefit me. I may not be happy about it, but it's better for me than having the same money subsidising future owners of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Ive decided that i cannot stomach the highest rate of road tax any more, its now gone from 1,491 to 1,565 and given that i do so little driving it is getting a little galling.

so whenever i sell the m3 im going to go for something that will cost me a max of €1k per year to tax.

If i was buying tmrw, what 'performance' cars would i be able to get, for a max budget of €40k that i could tax for less than €1k?

looking for something more exotic and quicker than the likes of a golf gti or equivalent :)

Cyrus your insane

Everyone I know who has got rid of their M3 for whatever reason has regretted it. Its the best car of its type out there, an incredible machine and it has back seats !

Throwing this away for a tenner a week to get some hairdressers car you need your head examined, the Elise for example may be a great bit of kit but it looks ridiculous (its a girls car no matter what anyone says - Gelnda Gilson has one ffs), its so totally imprasctical you'll need a second car, and its extremely uncomfortable as a daily driver, for Gods sake you need a winch to lower yourself into the thing.

I know loads of people with Elise's as daily drivers and they look anything but ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

What about a Mazda rx-8 registered pre-July?! Its a 1.4 or something isnt it?:D Tax of €320 or so lol

Anan1 wrote: »
    OT I know, but I could never understand this reasoning. If I pay tax to the govt, at least I know some of it is going towards schools, health, roads, etc - things that benefit me. I may not be happy about it, but it's better for me than having the same money subsidising future owners of my car.

Ah yeh, sure if I thought it was going to all of those - it would be fine. I've lived in a few places over the years though, the road tax here would suggest that we have the best roads in the world - and that just isn't the case.

Anyway, it's off topic so I'll shut up!

ps. re the comment about 300,000 euro apartments. At least you don't *have* to do that. I certainly didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ive decided that i cannot stomach the highest rate of road tax any more, its now gone from 1,491 to 1,565

Have you lost the run of yourself? Sure the tax is a lot for someone who does little mileage, but your depreciation alone is costing you many times that. Cough up, pay the year up front (at the old rate) and don't worry about the tax until this time next year

Otherwise, you'll regret it.

unkel wrote: »
    Have you lost the run of yourself? Sure the tax is a lot for someone who does little mileage, but your depreciation alone is costing you many times that. Cough up, pay the year up front (at the old rate) and don't worry about the tax until this time next year

Otherwise, you'll regret it.

Maybe wait a bit - sounds like the car manufacturers are starting to pay attention to the C02 output - you can even buy a 911 with C02 of 224 I think it is.

In a year or two there might be a whole load of new cars with ultra-low emmissions - which will make all of ours worthless...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I feel the OP's pain, I really do.

But I, like he, has too often confused the issue of what's detracting from the enjoyment. It's not the car. I bet when you're driving, even just cruising, with the window part open, stereo off, and coming off the roundabout(s) ;)......and if I asked you, you wouldn't know, or care, how much the tax was. This is because you, your senses, are.....involved.......

The problem is, quite simply, when you're NOT in the car.

With my 911, and only doing 1400 miles p.a., I was not in it - a lot ! Therefore, I spent a lot of time thinking about it. And the Eur1343 tax, in particular. And the more I thought about it, the angrier I got. And, probably, depressed. Then your mind plays starts to play games, and you think ....and that a weight would be lifted, and that you'd be soooooooomuch happier in something.......less........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:.......and that selling the car is the answer. With the added benefit of "PS, Gormless, **** You

So I thought, and so I did, and lost 6k in 18 months. :(

Oh-Oh, that's 4 years + tax down the drain...............:o :o ......oh dear, and now I've no P-car........

Fast forward 2 yrs (?), read the book, saw the DVD, have the t-shirt. So, clear of mind, I went out and did it all again. Twice. In six months. :o:o oops......simultaneously.

But hey, now I have (or did, 'til last week), a Eur2600 p.a. tax bill. And you know what - who gives a **** - yes it's ****e. yes it's unjust. yes it's a complete red/green herring we're all being force fed. But worse of all........our souls are being destroyed, our very raison d'etre's are being messed with (stay with me, I'm in petrol-head mode.....), and who knows, maybe even our will to live...........

Now, take your M3 out for a spin, buy the juice at 1.13-1.33 a litre, and completely piss through a tank of it -just 'cos you can. As soon as you knock it off, and listen to the pinging of hot metal cooling, and touching all the tyres to see if you've really warmed them up at all (like on the telly...;) )....ask yourself, right there, right then..........could I swap this feeling, this emotion, .............for something less....?

Exactly.

p.s. if you do, forget the 1k tax, and just buy an Astra..........:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

At the moment the tax on my GTV is €1,231 and I do about 2k a year in it. The tax on my Almera GTI is €590 and I do about 5k a year in it.

I'm forking out €1,821 a year before petrol and insurance and both cars are depreciating rapidly so I know where he's coming from, but I want my GTV for fun and I need the Almera for a run around car.

If you like the M3 then suck it up and keep it. If you don't like it then just downgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

woah woah woah folks

im not selling the m3 because of the tax, im not selling it at all,

however, as you all well know i will be changing it soon enought, because i always do :p

tax is up in feb, ill have her 12 mths at that stage (a personal best i might add) it is such an exceptional car that i will tax it then for another 6 months and look to sell it towards the end of that (unheard of for me to keep a car 18mths)

then i will be looking at a new car, and ideally id like to keep the tax down, if there is nothing out there then i will suck it up, i was just looking for interesting alternatives, alas it seems there are none :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

What about a Mercedes CLK Cabriolet - CLK 320 CDi 235?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

steve06 wrote: »
    best value performance car in Ireland at the minute I think - http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lotus/Elise/111R/1212444/

Thanks steve! This is my car and has served me very well for the past few years! Kills me to be selling at that price as its worth a hell of alot more. It's 7000 cheaper then any other 2005 elise 111R and is much much better specced then any on the market. However i'm upgrading to an exige (as i could never be without a lotus in the garage ;)) so it needs to go. If anyone's interested just pm and i can answer any questions! I couldn't not respond with a bit of a plug for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ps. re the comment about 300,000 euro apartments. At least you don't *have* to do that. I certainly didn't!

You don't *have* to buy a car as much as you don't *have* to buy a house.

Advertisement