Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessively Loud Water Pump

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've moved into a new apartment, and the plumbing seems a bit clumsy. Using a shower or the taps cause quite a commotion from the pump. But it's the toilet flush that really, ahem, takes the biscuit. Once you flush the toilet there is sustained excessive noise from the pump for the better part of two minutes.

What causes this? Is it avoidable? Can a plumber sort it out?

To be honest, it seems the whole block suffers from similar issues, as you can hear showers etc going from my place. My last apartment was a third floor apartment and had fine water pressure without the noise. This one is a first floor dwelling and the pressure is variable, but ok, but to honest it's too noisy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There have been several threads here lately about noisy pumps, but your case sounds more excessive. One thing that makes them very noisy is cavitation, caused by an insufficient water supply or by a partial airlock in the system. Your post suggests you don't have a direct supply from the mains -- only through a pump. Is that so? Is there really a pump in each apartment for the main supply? If there is, and if the supply to the whole block is inadequate, then there is no solution to your problem as everyone's pump will cavitate. However, that's a guess based on little knowledge of your system.

Advertisement