Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an A3 printer for CAD plots

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

As it says on the title, I need a few recommednations for A3 printers for CAD, for home/ nixer use?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HP Deskjet 1280

very similar to the old reliable 1220c

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

sydthebeat wrote: »
    HP Deskjet 1280

I've been using a 1220C for 6 years now. It's a great printer and the ink lasts beyond a few sheets.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

smashey wrote: »
    I've been using a 1220C for 6 years now. It's a great printer and the ink lasts beyond a few sheets.

yeah, we use the 1220c here as well.... probably about 6 years as well...

the plotter gets more punishment, but the a3 is an extremly handly tool..

Also, I've filled the cartridges myself without a problem but now I just buy Asda's own. It is a workhorse of a deskjet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

HP Deskjet 1280

I use same as this at home but i find it takes up too much space (i preferred the HP A3 lazer printer we used in collage the line thickness was far crisper and was way faster I cannot remember the model no.) If i was buying A3 again i would buy lazer

I hardly ever use A3 as i find my work at 1/100 fits far better on A2 or A1.

I have no prob using the work plotter/ scanner. for nixers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I've had a HP Deskjet 1100 for about 8 years with no problem other than cleaning.
    I recently bought a HP inkjet 2800 which is also very good. Main reason I bought it was as back up printer and because it is very economical on ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AutoCAD

Hi gman,

We have an Epson Stylus 1290 A3 colour printer here
    for the last 5 years or so, and its taken good abuse
    also. Prints very good colour pics and serves well for
    the regular monochrome print drawings also.

Would recommend this printer also

A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Thanks guys - HP seems to be getting the thumbs up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

whatever you do don't buy a lexmark. Cheaper to buy but the parts and ink costs are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

If you were lucky, you might find an old HP Laserjet 4V or 4MV around in one of the for sale forums.

They are a workhorse printer. My own is verging on 10 years old and still pumping out the prints.

Failing that, the newer Laserjet 5 series was quite good also, if you used the 4MV driver...

Its a longshot, but hey, if you can find one, take it.

mj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A new HP Laser will be the nuts,
    Or a phazer (just don't print to transparent sheets)

look what I miised out on yesterday
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200261971655

Mind you, I didn't bid cos I asked the seller how much would postage be, but never got a response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

This is an absolute workhorse of a machine! I've had mine about 6 years also; I've fallen on it, its fallen out of the car and I've also spilt a pint into it & it still works great!!

The paper makes all the difference 80gsm looks kinda fuzzy so go for the 120 gsm... Also you can get colour cartridges in Tesco for €29. I bought mine for €300 way back when, a mate bought one recently off ebay for half that. Also recommend the HP designjet 750c for large format printing, its the lada of plotters.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

architect firm i do computers for uses the deskjet 9800C for A3 stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

I bought A4 printer form them - great service
    - fantastic deals

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=1175

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrPreachan

I was using a deskjet 9800 but im a tight old git and the ink was costing me a fortune, so I nipped up to Wilsons auction house in Kingswood and bought a Canon Colour Photocopier, cant remember the model, for 150 euro, works perfectly, super fast, quality is excellent, and I assume its a lot less expensive to run than a standard printer. If anybody is interested there is an auction this Saturday and I think there is a goodfew up for sale again.

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/dublin.asp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mjsmyth wrote: »
    If you were lucky, you might find an old HP Laserjet 4V or 4MV around in one of the for sale forums.

They are a workhorse printer. My own is verging on 10 years old and still pumping out the prints.

Failing that, the newer Laserjet 5 series was quite good also, if you used the 4MV driver...

Its a longshot, but hey, if you can find one, take it.

mj
    +1
    HP consumables are expensive but and you can get toners on eBay to reduce costs

BTW:
    there is an A4 HP colour laser in aldi for €200 - as someone said to me it's the cost of four inkjet cartridges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alexyz

Hello, I was wondering if people on her would recommend this one for CAD:

HP Officejet 7000 Wide Format Printer
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-3328075-3328075-3882903.html

I'm looking for an A3 colour too, mainly for CAD but also for documents and graphics.

I'd like to buy something new so I don't have problems from previous abuse and old age. Also because I'd like to buy it as soon as possible, tomorrow morning even from a shop if possible, rather than have to hunt on Ebay etc.

The most important factor is that it can't miss off the odd line like I've seen some printers do. That is not good for CAD drawings!

Price is of course also important because I don't have much money right now. However, I hope to use it for my own studio if the opportunity arises, and there is a chance this could happen, so reliability and speed are good too.

If anyone could suggest another good product currently available from retailers in the UK, please let me know. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

I was looking for something similar 2 months ago, had looked for the HP 1220c/1280 but couldn't find them anywhere in Cork and ended up getting the 7000 series.
    Very happy with it so far, extremely fast at plotting and small text and symbols come out prefectly legible.

I had to alter my page borders slightly from previous drawings I had set up and solid hatched colours for windows etc might need to be tweeked to match the previous plotter you used but once you get up and running your sorted.

If you get the heavier paper you can print right to the edge too.

I got a quote of €400 for it in my local store so bought it on ebay for €260 inc delivery. Also got 4 extra ink cartridges XL sizes for about €60 off ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

the plotter gets more punishment, but the a3 is an extremly handly tool..

i always used a cannon to print, not sure the exact names/numbers,
    but its a huge printer for offices only, which are excellent

recently im using a 1220c, its a grand size but prints are great for the age and techonology.

the only problem ive noticed with it is i print a lot in a short time and it constantly pulls all the sheets through rather than just taking in one..
    other than that its great, im sure it would need some minor repair to stop it clogging up all the paper, i have flicked through the paper also to make sure it wasnt stick together.

its a comapny printer and id say its about 6 years old, i doubt its had any other maintance than just ink changes also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alexyz

Thanks all. I still haven't bought one yet. I asked HP and Misco, and only got one reply, telling me to buy an A1 instead, and not telling me which model has replaced the 1220 and 1280 :(:
    Hi Alex
    Thanks for your enquiry
    the 1220 and 1280 are both end of life now I'm afraid the replacement is now the modern day equivalent.

I am not sure how accurate it is supposed to be with line drawings so i have forwarded on to HP tech to see if they can advice

The Designjet products are usually the best for this type of work , but start off at A1 size and are there for much more expensive , it you did want to have a look at one however the Designjet 110 would be ideal

Q168374 HEWLETT PACKARD HP Designjet 110plus

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=357416&catcode=

will get back to you asap with regard to the officejet

Alexyz wrote: »
    Thanks all. I still haven't bought one yet. I asked HP and Misco, and only got one reply, telling me to buy an A1 instead, and not telling me which model has replaced the 1220 and 1280 :(:
    Try PC World. I have seen HP A3 printers there.

I started this thread a long time ago!
    I ended up buying a second hand HP Deskjet 1280 from an Ebay seller, for around £110, and it's still going strong.
    It takes a HP 45 (bw) and HP 78 (colour) which cost around €40 each - genuine.
    I only ever get refills now, at €20 a pop, and they work great!
    A cracking CAD printer, albeit a little slow, but who's in a rush these days?
    It also does photo prints on glossy paper to a very high standard also - again a little slow!
    It is a big machine to having sitting on a home desk though, so I would recommend finding a dedicated space for it somewhere else close by.

gman2k wrote: »
    It takes a HP 45 (bw) and HP 78 (colour) which cost around €40 each - genuine.
    I only ever get refills now, at €20 a pop, and they work great!
    That's the cartridges my 1220C uses and I buy Asda's own brand. They work perfectly every time.

Advertisement