Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox 360 MAC address spoofing

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey

Background info: For the next few weeks I'll be living in an apartment which has a shared wireless network connection. When I connect with my laptop the network itself is unsecured but when I open my internet browser I get prompted for a PIN code which once I enter I have internet access....I only had to enter the PIN code once to get access all the time (which I believe is because the MAC is registerd to the network once you enter the PIN).

Now on the 360 I connect to the network no problems but xbox live tests fail on the ICMP Part ( i think). This is probably because the xbox does not have the PIN code needed for the access.

I don't know how I would enter the PIN code for the xbox to use so I was going to use the option in the network setting for alternate MAC address and use the MAC from my laptop but I cant find any info online. Anybody used this before? or have a link to the info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I've had to do this aswell while I was in college, I could only register two mac addresses (One for PC, one for Mac) and I spoofed the 360's so I could pay over the LAN.

I presume you know this but if you go Start -> Run -> ipconfig, and its labellled as the physical address, and just bang that number in as the alternative mac address for your 360.

I need to be in front of my MacBook to remember how to get its mac address. If you open a terminal, and do an ifconfig, it will give you 3 or 4 options, and its one of those, but there is a nice handy way of getting it from System Preferences.

I'm not sure if spoofing the mac address will get the job done though from what you have described. If you have to enter the pin every time you open a webpage, it means it doesn't remember your mac address and automatically connect you. If so, changing mac addresses won't help as you have to be authenticated every time no matter what. Although I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I've had to do this aswell while I was in college, I could only register two mac addresses (One for PC, one for Mac) and I spoofed the 360's so I could pay over the LAN.

I presume you know this but if you go Start -> Run -> ipconfig, and its labellled as the physical address, and just bang that number in as the alternative mac address for your 360.

I need to be in front of my MacBook to remember how to get its mac address. If you open a terminal, and do an ifconfig, it will give you 3 or 4 options, and its one of those, but there is a nice handy way of getting it from System Preferences.

I'm not sure if spoofing the mac address will get the job done though from what you have described. If you have to enter the pin every time you open a webpage, it means it doesn't remember your mac address and automatically connect you. If so, changing mac addresses won't help as you have to be authenticated every time no matter what. Although I might be wrong.

I only had to enter the PIN code the first time I connected to the wireless network so hopefully if I put in the Laptop MAC address into the Xbox 360 it will work!

I will give it a shot and see how it goes..Cheers for you reply!

neacy69 wrote: »
    I only had to enter the PIN code the first time I connected to the wireless network so hopefully if I put in the Laptop MAC address into the Xbox 360 it will work!

I will give it a shot and see how it goes..Cheers for you reply!

Oh, nice one, it has a decent shot at working so! I thought you meant, you have to enter it once all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cheers worked a treat...

Nice one, happy gamin'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

can you use the laptop and the 360 at the same time now?

The answer to that is normally, no they can't be used at the same time. A mac address is supposed to be completely unique. If you have two at the same time, they network should say "Ah lads, wtf is the story here?"

When i had my 360 set to use my PC's mac address, I noticed that every time I used xbox live, I got completely disconnected from the internet on my pc, webpages, msn, everything. Then when i unset the spoofing of the 360's mac address everything worked as normal.

The reason I say "normally no" and not just "no" is: I'm not sure if my PC got disconnected from the network in college. I honestly don't know as I never tried using it when I was playing a LAN game. Maybe the proxy acts differently, but I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

hey did you use that in college because the ports werent opened thats my problem and it fails the mtu test :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

The answer to that is normally, no they can't be used at the same time. A mac address is supposed to be completely unique. If you have two at the same time, they network should say "Ah lads, wtf is the story here?"

When i had my 360 set to use my PC's mac address, I noticed that every time I used xbox live, I got completely disconnected from the internet on my pc, webpages, msn, everything. Then when i unset the spoofing of the 360's mac address everything worked as normal.

The reason I say "normally no" and not just "no" is: I'm not sure if my PC got disconnected from the network in college. I honestly don't know as I never tried using it when I was playing a LAN game. Maybe the proxy acts differently, but I doubt it!

so could he spoof the pc with the xbox address and when hes got the xbox mac on the network through the pc, unspoof so he can use the xbox and the pc together

neilk32 wrote: »
    hey did you use that in college because the ports werent opened thats my problem and it fails the mtu test :(

I used that in college because we could only register two mac addresses, and I had my PC, MacBook and 360 that I wanted on the network, so two into three doesn't go unfortunately.

I couldn't use Xbox Live in college because of the proxy. The sole reason for having it on the network was so I could use system link with my mates on the same college LAN on the student villages. If your in college and your behind a proxy, there is 99.99% chance they don't have the ports open to play on Xbox Live. If you have a MacBook though, you can bypass the proxy and use torrents. :)

• Advertisement

weeder wrote: »
    so could he spoof the pc with the xbox address and when hes got the xbox mac on the network through the pc, unspoof so he can use the xbox and the pc together

That would work. I've never tried to spoof a PC's mac address though, so I don't know how reliable any applications to do that are..

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

If you have a MacBook though, you can bypass the proxy and use torrents. :)

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Moojuice wrote: »
    How so?

It's fairly easy, MAC users consider themselves Gods so it just happens. appparently that don't have to bow to the rules of networking standards.

Moojuice wrote: »
    How so?

I'm not 100% sure how it works to be honest. I was able to use torrents without any problems on my MacBook as were others with Macs, but it wouldn't work on windows.

I guess something to do with the way the network protocols work with OS X and the proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

well rich, if you do recall; a certain black lad and a certain "god amongst men" you used to live with had torrents working in dromroe on windows.....

hmmm

:D

look at the location and youl discover who this "god" that i speak of is....mmmmm hamburgers.....*argggg* :P

also, ill try write something useful....

OP, why dont you just run an ethernat cable from laptop to xbox360 and allow the xbox360 access to the interent through the laptop.... I did it, worked really easily

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ARO656

I presume you know this but if you go Start -> Run -> ipconfig, and its labellled as the physical address, and just bang that number in as the alternative mac address for your 360..

I have been trying to do this for hours but when I go to ipconfig my physical address is 00000000 Also I have the mac address on my Xbox 360 registered to my apartments wifi network web page as well as my laptops but it still doesnt work. I am trying to run the connection through ethernet from my pc to xbox and I know I have to bridge the Wifi network and Ethernet connection but I cant since I cant open sharing settings on a public wifi network :( can someone please help me figure this out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I understand you are new but please try not to resurrect old threads. Feel free to start a new one explaining your problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement