Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks on Condell Road

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

There was a big sign this morning on the Condell road saying that there would be roadworks starting on the 20th Oct and "Major Delays Expected"
    That's a laugh, my car crawls up that road as it is every morning.

Any wise person know how long these roadworks are going to last? Also are they acutally going to close the road (:eek:)
    I sure hope not. The drive in is bad enough every morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

They did the same this time last year....they won't close the road, but you can expect serious tailbacks and maybe an extra 20 - 30 minutes onto your journey!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

DarkJager wrote: »
    They did the same this time last year....they won't close the road, but you can expect serious tailbacks and maybe an extra 20 - 30 minutes onto your journey!
    Any ideas what they are hoping to achieve with the roadworks? I can't understand why all these tasks couldn't have been carried out during the summer when there was less traffic at peak times.

Actually, can anyone advice me of the best way to Raheen from Ennis in the mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Clareman wrote: »
    Any ideas what they are hoping to achieve with the roadworks? I can't understand why all these tasks couldn't have been carried out during the summer when there was less traffic at peak times.

Actually, can anyone advice me of the best way to Raheen from Ennis in the mornings?

I couldn't tell you, they do so many roadworks around the place and its rare to see any benefit from them. Could just be to spend any surplus cash left over, I think they don't get a grant next year if this years grant isn't completely used. As for why they couldn't do it during the summer? Well thats just one of those questions to which there is no answer :D

The best way to get to Raheen is probably the Condell Road and then out the dock road. After 8am though the traffic gets quite heavy, so if you get on the road early you should be able to avoid the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I had discussions with Limerick City Council's road engineer about the fact that the signage on both sides of the pedestrian crossing lights at Barrington's pier were forcing cylists onto the road.

As well as telling me cyclists shouldn't cycle on hard-shoulder as it was only for parking, he also said if funding was approved from NRA then the Condell rd. would be resurfaced. He said they might then re-align these (newly built) obstructions.

I often think of this re-surfacing job when I'm driving along bumpy roads in other parts of the City.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had discussions with Limerick City Council's road engineer about the fact that the signage on both sides of the pedestrian crossing lights at Barrington's pier were forcing cylists onto the road.

As well as telling me cyclists shouldn't cycle on hard-shoulder as it was only for parking, he also said if funding was approved from NRA then the Condell rd. would be resurfaced. He said they might then re-align these (newly built) obstructions.

I often think of this re-surfacing job when I'm driving along bumpy roads in other parts of the City.

That road engineer needs to get his head out of his arse. It's nearly impossible to use the Condell Road as a cyclist without using the hard shoulder. Between the trucks, speeding motorists and idiots texting while driving, that stretch is a death-trap waiting to happen. Avoiding the signs at Barrington's Pier requires either cycling through mud, grass and rubbish or risking your life by pulling out into the lane itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Does anyone know how long these roadworks are going to last (and what they are for?)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

following is according to Limerick city council web site - roadworks section.

Road Traffic Notice, Road Closure - N18 Condell Road.
    Limerick City Council wish to advise road users that a portion of N18 Condell Road will have traffic restrictions from 20th October, 2008 to 16th December, 2008. The restrictions will extend from Dock Road Roundabout towards Ennis for a distance of 2 km and will operate from 9.40am to 4.40pm and 7.30pm to 7.30am.

The restrictions will allow for two way traffic on reduced width traffic lanes.

The restrictions are necessary to allow for the resurfacing of the road, the erection of traffic route lighting, the construction of a bus lane and two cycle lanes.

wouldn't have thought there was room for a bus lane, 2 roads of traffic and a cycle lane. wonder are they eating into the side banks to create this. Would be good to have a cycle lane here if they do it right.

2 months, 2 FFFFing months, are they serious? They are building a tunnel that'll be open in a year and a bit and they are doing all this stuff, they must be having a joke

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

oh well wrote: »
    following is according to Limerick city council web site - roadworks section.

Road Traffic Notice, Road Closure - N18 Condell Road.
    Limerick City Council wish to advise road users that a portion of N18 Condell Road will have traffic restrictions from 20th October, 2008 to 16th December, 2008. The restrictions will extend from Dock Road Roundabout towards Ennis for a distance of 2 km and will operate from 9.40am to 4.40pm and 7.30pm to 7.30am.

The restrictions will allow for two way traffic on reduced width traffic lanes.

The restrictions are necessary to allow for the resurfacing of the road, the erection of traffic route lighting, the construction of a bus lane and two cycle lanes.

wouldn't have thought there was room for a bus lane, 2 roads of traffic and a cycle lane. wonder are they eating into the side banks to create this. Would be good to have a cycle lane here if they do it right.

Bold text: all positive and welcome developments.
    Bold & Underlined: outside of peak times, also most welcome if accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Driving this road for the last four years and no let up. What kind of mental patient wants to put a bus lane in why not just put in an extra lane for the traffic. And will the tunnel do us any favours, especially when the toll kicks in, down turn in economy etc etc.

Perhaps when DELL closes traffic might get lighter?!?!!?!?!?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mrsoundie wrote: »

No sign of that happening, they were looking for all sorts of graduates at UL last Thursday.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Driving this road for the last four years and no let up. What kind of mental patient wants to put a bus lane in why not just put in an extra lane for the traffic. And will the tunnel do us any favours, especially when the toll kicks in, down turn in economy etc etc.

An idiot who wants to increase use of public transport? With the downturn in the economy we could all be selling our cars, and taking public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

they are also installing the last element for the tunnel as well that week, will be busy!

Anyone remember one friday a few weeks ago they were doing some roadworks on the ennis road out near the dual carraigeway took me over and hour to get from raheen onto the ennis road. Wont expect anything less on that week.

its not just for one week - restrictions from 20th October, 2008 to 16th December, 2008. which probably means 2009 the way they usually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

Are they closing the bridge tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shannon Bridge must be closed. I'm looking out my window on O Callaghan Strand and theres bumper to bumper traffic all the way along the strand. It's the same situation across the river, bumper to bumper along Howleys Quay. Thank fcuk I'm not stuck in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah it was closed this evening.
    Is it only the evenings that it will be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Why don't they work on the bridge from mid night till 7.00am. or/and Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Living on o'callaghans strand, and i can hear every bit of what they're doing on the bridge, it's making for unpleasant sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I used to get the bus in from Ennis there in the evenings a few years back. The tailbacks were awful. There is no way people who take public transport should have to wait as long as private car users so I think the bus lane is a good idea. They deserve an express trip up to the bridge.

I'm not so sure about the cycle lanes though, as there is hardly a critical mass of people who live out at the other side of Condell Road. Maybe it will encourage Clonmacken/NCR/Ferndale people to use a bike more in future.

The onus is on the people responsible for the works to minimise disruption and finish this quickly - cutting away banks for more road space and resurfacing is hardly a 'Discovery Channel'-type engineering project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

I found somne more info on the city council website...

Roads work will commence on the Condell Road on Monday the 20th October and last for approximately seven weeks. The works area will extend from Dock Road Roundabout just south of Shannon Bridge for a distance of 2000 metres approximately to the old City boundary on the N18 Condell Road just past Ted Russell Park.

The works include:

Planning out and resurfacing the Dock Road Roundabout and Shannon Bridge and resurfacing this with clause 942 and remarking with statutory road markings. This work will take place at night and will involve closure of the bridge and roundabout. The public will be informed in advance of these closures.
    Overlaying the remainder of the road from a point north of Shannon Bridge to the old City boundary with a clause 942 overlay. This will also involve the installation of a kerb link on both sides of the carriageway and some modification to the road drainage. This work will be carried out during daytime working hours and the contractors will keep two way traffic flowing during the works.
    The installation of traffic route lighting along the resurfaced route.
    When remarking the road after resurfacing the Council will be installing a City bound bus lane on this route. Therefore the area currently designated as hard shoulder will be reassigned by moving the road centre line. The road will accommodate an inbound bus lane, an inbound traffic lane and an outbound traffic lane. This new road layout will also facilitate an inbound and outbound cycle lane.
    For the duration of the works, an advisory road works speed limit of 35 km/hr will apply to this section of the road for the safety of the road workers. After completion of the works a legal speed limit of 50km/hr will apply to this road in line with other roads in the City.

These works will greatly enhance public transport access to the City for north side bus services and also for regional bus services from Shannon Airport and Galway. Cyclists will also benefit by the provision of designated cycle lanes. The bus lane will be extended to Coonagh roundabout during 2009 and we expect buses will achieve a 20 minute plus saving on journey time during the am peak traffic period. The delivery of improved public bus services in Limerick City is a priority for Limerick City Council.

The roadworks are going well at the moment, I'm not seeing much of a hold up yet I have to say, credit where credit is due

i'm guessing you weren't on the road at 1pm today when nothing moved in either direction for over 20 minutes. I was coming out of town. I couldn't even do a u-turn to go back to the Salesian's turnoff cos the cones were too close together. By 3pm it had both the Ennis Road and the Condel Roads chock-a-block and Brookville Avenue looking like its going to join the blockage as well very shortly.

Advertisement