Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP-OFF LOUGHREA BLOCKS LIDL and TESCO'S

Options
  • 09-11-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi all!
    just moved to Loughrea from galway city and even with the by-pass it seems this town is very slow on the uptake of competition(ie good for the consumer)
    I have heard mermurings about Tesco and Lidl/Aldi coming but as yet, nada!
    I believe that there are 4-5 familes that "run this town" and will not let "outsiders" interfere.
    The town is crying out for choice as the ever expanding population would do their weekly shop in either Galway,Gort or Ballinsloe,AND NOT LOUGHREA!
    When will the local council see that they cannot live in a cocoon and keep all the pie!
    john

IS LOUGHREA ANTI-COMPETITIVE ??? 81 votes

YES. Loughrea is 'Anti-Competitive'. Thanks to people on the Chamber of Commerce.
    0% 0 votes
    NO. The town tries hard to attract more Competition & Choice
    100% 81 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Tesco and Lidl have both been refused planning permission for large out of town stores. They were going to put a small shopping centre on the site of the old Christmas cracker factory, which is hardly 'out of town', but this was refused. Yet a local business man can get planning permission to build an enormous house, right on the lake front in the centre of the town.

If one was critical of the workings of local government, you could say that certain decisions appear to be suspicious. I'm no great fan of the predatory tactics of Tesco, and wouldn't buy any bread, vegetables, meat there that I could buy off a local producer, but the option should be there for people. In a town who's population has almost doubled in the last 10 years, and where many small businesses have opened, it's rather silly not to have more than one main supermarket in which to shop, especially considering the prices they charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

amen!
    all we need is a few more like you!
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Tesco and Lidl have been trying for a number of years to open retail outlets in the town but every time the local chamber of commerce or anti-commerce as they are commonly known has strongly objected to their plans.
    This group represents a small vested group of local business people who want to retain their cosy cartel in the town and refuse the people of the town choice.

C'mon ladies and gents!
    there has got to be more people in the area of Loughrea and surrounds with an opinion on this!!!
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

What's wrong with the grocery choice in Loughrea? There's a number of small shops contemplating two well run supermarkets. You can argue that the town has grown and all that but why should we tolerate a foreign company coming in and selling us inferior products? Loughrea is close enough to and is well served by transport links to Galway and Ballinasloe (and Gort for Aldi, though not transport wise) so that if anyone really wants to shop in one of the foreign supermarkets then it's a possibility. I don't see the problem

• Advertisement

Thats a good synopsis of Loughrea,a lot of potential and not alot done or will be done with it!
    All I am asking for is consumer choice,as I would really like not to have to drive 20 odd miles for the "convenience" of having Lidl,Aldi,Tescos and Dunnes in Galway on the one hand and Lidl and tescos in Ballinasloe on the other.
    Christ man they are even getting Aldi and tescos in Tuam.
    Make no mistake I like Loughrea but some of the closed-minded
    people that are in charge for the planning of the town leave a lot to be desired.
    If your from Loughrea yourself(born and bred etc)do you not think that some people are quite content to hold all the cards and remain the status quo.
    Progress is coming,house prices in Galway are staggering so more and more people are going to be moving to Loughrea like it or not.
    Choice in supermarkets overall not great,if your into meat and 2 veg your laughing otherwise drive elsewhere,thats the attitude.
    Consumer demands, bottom line.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fatgav wrote:
    ...why should we tolerate a foreign company coming in and selling us inferior products?
    We shouldn't. There was a foreign company in my area that kept selling me inferior products, no matter how often I asked it to stop. I eventually had to get a court order to prevent them from selling me their foreign crap, but I lie awake at night worrying that they'll find a way to do it anyway.

Remember kids: if you let foreign companies into your town, it's next to impossible to prevent them from selling you inferior products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Now thats sarcastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I'm with johnnyboy4711 on this one. I moved to Loughrea about 2 years ago from Galway city. The lack of choice was the hardest thing to get used to. But what annoys me is the way the supermarket will have some products one week and not the next.

good on ya marge!
    j

• Advertisement

something is afoot on the ballinsloe side of town with a lot earthmovers in a s ite next to the Loughrea tyre centre!
    Fingers crossed!
    also new development a retail park when you take the bypass first right turn where sherry-fitz have their new houses opposite that!
    Also I think there might be someting going on opposite the New Hotel,not quite sure what though!
    later
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

the development you're on about is, I hear, a complaex of industrial units. it seems a bit small, but it's definitely something industrial and not a supermarket. I know of the development across from the new hotel but, alas, I think thats yet more new houses.

oscarbravo - you completely misunderstood the point i was trying to make. I am concerned with my local economy and as a general rule would much rather give my money to locally based businessmen rather then foreign companies. Yes, the local supermarkets have their problems but instead of whining about it on a message board it would be much more beneficial to complain in the shops themselves, no?

And johnnyboy - something I missed the last time I was on here - who are these ruling families you're on about?? I've never heard anything like that in my life and i've spent all of it in Loughrea. I'm intrigued

fatgav wrote:
    the development you're on about is, I hear, a complaex of industrial units. it seems a bit small, but it's definitely something industrial and not a supermarket. I know of the development across from the new hotel but, alas, I think thats yet more new houses.

oscarbravo - you completely misunderstood the point i was trying to make. I am concerned with my local economy and as a general rule would much rather give my money to locally based businessmen rather then foreign companies. Yes, the local supermarkets have their problems but instead of whining about it on a message board it would be much more beneficial to complain in the shops themselves, no?

And johnnyboy - something I missed the last time I was on here - who are these ruling families you're on about?? I've never heard anything like that in my life and i've spent all of it in Loughrea. I'm intrigued

Sorry Fatgav!
    i mean there are a lot of family run business's,one in particular, in loughrea that would hate to see Tesco,Lidl,Aldi,Dunnes or anyone else because it would mean more of the pie to share around!

Galway County Council in their wisdom have again refused planning for a Lidl store at Greeneenagh, L'rea.
    Lidl has appealed to An Bord Pleanala seeking a reversal of the decision. Hopefully they can see sense and grant permission so people have some choice in this town.
    Ironically in Sept 2005 Tesco were granted planning by Galway Co Co for a retail unit across the road from the proposed Lidl development. However the application was appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a "third party" and was subsequently refused in May 2006.
    Interesting times ahead....

If it is that easy by a third party(I think we all can hazard a guess of who would stand to lose out !)to get planning rejected by appeal would it not be also as easy for a third party ie.ME to require planning be granted?
    Who has such power that they can get something rejected on a whim?

If it is that easy by a third party(I think we all can hazard a guess of who would stand to lose out !)to get planning rejected by appeal would it not be also as easy for a third party ie.ME to require planning be granted?
    Who has such power that they can get something rejected on a whim?

Johnnyboy if only the planning system was as simple as that.
    Not sure who the third party was who appealed the decision to An Bord Pleanala - their website dosen't make for easy navagation but the two objectors who objected to the original application to Galway County Council were
    1. Loughrea Chamber of Commerc
    2. RGDATA

http://83.71.207.21/webscans/780246.pdf
    http://83.71.207.21/webscans/780498.pdf

Just fount it...Same two bodies made the successful appeal to An Bord Pleanala

DECISION: REFUSE permission for the above proposed development based on the reasons and considerations set out below.

REASONS AND CONSIDERATIONS
    1.It is the policy of the planning authority, as set out in the current Loughrea Local Area Plan, to support the role of the town centre as the principal commercial area within the town and to encourage new retail development to locate within the existing town core. Furthermore, the key policy objectives of the Retail Planning Guidelines for Planning Authorities, published by the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government in January 2005, support the continuing role of town centres, with the preferred location for retail development being within town centres. Having regard to the remote location of the proposed development on a greenfield site at the eastern extremity of the town, the lack of any commercial synergy with the established commercial core of the town, the limited accessibility and the car-dependent nature of the proposal, it is considered that the proposed development would constitute an undesirable out of centre retail development on the edge of the town of Loughrea that would undermine the town centre's core retailing function and consequently its vitality, viability and attractiveness as a convenience shopping area. Notwithstanding the specific land use zoning objective for the site, the proposed development would conflict with the overall policy of the Loughrea Local Area Plan in respect of retail development and with the provisions of the Retail Planning Guidelines and would, therefore, be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

2.The proposed development would be premature by reference to the existing deficiency in the provision of sewerage facilities to accommodate the new development and the period within which the constraints involved might reasonably be expected to cease.

Board Member __________________________ Date 29th May 2006
    Karl Kent

I hope the town council get tired of this before Tesco or Lidl does!!!
    any info on Lidl btw?

I hope the town council get tired of this before Tesco or Lidl does!!!
    any info on Lidl btw?

Town Council are muppets, have no power and probably would come down in favour of the objectors if they had some power.
    The Lidl appeal with An Bord Pleanala will probably take months, could be june/july before a decision. Here's hoping they reverse it!

So this means that unless Loughrea town builds UP rather than out or new retail units take over existing retail units, Loughrea will never really develop or get any bigger. :( Excellent - don't ya just love it! :rolleyes:

In the mean time we have to continue to pick our moment when visiting the local SuperValu to increase the chances of getting a parking space.
    Luckily I don't live too far away from there, but I have on several occasions returned home for lack of parking.

And as a note on the 'Loughrea families' topic......
    I was told by a local who has lived all their lives in the area, that Loughrea would have got a bypass years ago if it wasn't for a certain retailer.

I like Loughrea and I call it home now, but there are so many new housing developments happening, and every morning I drive behind cars all heading for Galway city. Loughrea has become a major commuter town. But there is always the danger that commuters will keep their business within Galway or take their business back to Galway. Loughrea C of C needs to remember that Loughrea is not the same town it was 5/10/20 years ago. I am not expecting high rises or multistory carparks, but a little development to match the expanding population. I am talking about supermarket shopping in particular. When Dunnes opens at the Briar Hill roundabout, I think that's where I'll be visiting. I make no apologies for not supporting my local businesses. I'll just go from one cartel to another :D

• Advertisement

tell me his who appealed the rejection was it tesco or lidl or is lidl even in the picture?

tell me his who appealed the rejection was it tesco or lidl or is lidl even in the picture?

Lidl. In December 2006 Galway County Council refused their application for a retail outlet. January 2007 Lidl lodged an appeal with An Bord Pleanala...Awaiting outcome. As i said it may take months before a decision is made, could be June/ July of this year.

when the canvassing starts votes will count on what their plans are for Loughrea.
    So when they come around to your door please ask questions!
    johnnyboy4711

An Bord Pleanala have just rejected Lidl's appeal and refused permission.
    What a f**ked up little country we live in!

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/221255.htm

there are some in Loughrea that their web can access all agencies!
    More people need to move their and drag it kicking and screaming out of the 80's
    OPEN MARKET PEOPLE!wake up and smell the coffee!
    A LOCAL SHOP FOR LOCAL PEOPLE!!! is the motto
    fingers and toes crossed something might happen in the near future!
    Just look a gort they have an aldi and lidl and their world has not suddenly turned upside-down!
    pretty please!something! anything!!!
    j

IronMan wrote: »
    ...Yet a local business man can get planning permission to build an enormous house, right on the lake front in the centre of the town....
    I see this house is finished. I'll be damned if I know how anyone got planning for this house. I think it's great and about time people got to build what they like. But if you were to apply all the rules the planning authority have you would never in a million years get to build this house, unless you had some influence over the system. It's out of context with the town, etc.....:rolleyes:

ditto
    new message in galway county section check it out!

I think there's a change coming......

http://www.galwaynews.ie/3445-400-new-jobs-loughrea

hopefully the thin end of the wedge!
    what will macinerney and others make of this?
    see your a heroes buff!
    have to wait till september for new episodes im afraid!
    writers strike hit them hard!
    j

• Advertisement

I am a little surprised tbh. I think McInerney might accept it as inevitable as the town is getting so big. Besides I think his problem is the inability to expand. He tried to turn the fair green into parking & he tried the stacked parking system. He's really stuck where he is. Can't expand and probably won't move and give up a good location. The Chanelle site is still within the town boundary, so the local council can't say that the development brings people out of the town.

Heroes season 1 was great. I've seen the 11 eps in season 2, not as good as s1 though. It's kind of lost it's way a little.

Advertisement