Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP-OFF LOUGHREA BLOCKS LIDL and TESCO'S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

MargeS wrote: »
    I am a little surprised tbh. I think McInerney might accept it as inevitable as the town is getting so big. Besides I think his problem is the inability to expand. He tried to turn the fair green into parking & he tried the stacked parking system. He's really stuck where he is. Can't expand and probably won't move and give up a good location. The Chanelle site is still within the town boundary, so the local council can't say that the development brings people out of the town.

It's McInerney's that is moving into this new development as far as I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucciano

Lidl and Tesco's have been blocked from entering the town of Loughrea.
    Having read the planning rejections from both, I have to say they are
    the most moronic and pathetic refusals I have ever hear.

Why is Loughrea Town so afraid of legitimate competition ?
    Is it that they will have to provide fair pricing, and cease ripping
    off people in the town and surrounding areas ?

The Loughrea Chamber of Commerce and other local authorities are
    intentionally blocking this stores from gaining planning permission.
    Surely blocking competition is against the law and is robbing the local
    community of much needed employment.

The people of Loughrea should let their voicces be heard. Especially
    in light of the current recessional situation with our economy.
    Are we to sit back and continue to get ripped off by the likes of McInereys SuperValu, Beatty's and other family stores in the town ?

What are the politicians doing about it ?...........NOTHING !!!!
    It Stinks of Corruption !!!

We want the competition in Loughrea !!!
    We want Choice !!!
    We want value for money !!!

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Adam Mitchel

the loughrea chamber of commerce are a joke

the proposed site for the development was a good position why it was refused i don't know (sorry) i do. it was corruption

this cosy little cartel needs to be taken apart

i travel to gort and ballinasloe to do my shopping in lidl and aldi
    i wouldn't give loughrea my money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

That's why I do my food shop in Dunnes, Briarhill on my way home from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

The whole of Galway is generally s**t for shopping...there's no competition or choice

• Advertisement

A town council or chamber of commerce have no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

How does a Chamber of Commerce block planning permission??? That makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

fatgav wrote: »
    How does a Chamber of Commerce block planning permission??? That makes no sense

In Sept 2005 Tesco were granted planning by Galway Co Co for a retail unit in Loughrea.
    However the application was appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a "third party" and was subsequently refused in May 2006.
    Have a guess who the 'third party' was.

scart wrote: »
    In Sept 2005 Tesco were granted planning by Galway Co Co for a retail unit in Loughrea.
    However the application was appealed to An Bord Pleanala by a "third party" and was subsequently refused in May 2006.
    do you have a link to prove your point? i'm just asking because i've never heard this and i'm very doubtful that a planning permission would be turned down for such a reason.

anyways, on another point, why does Loughrea need a Tescos, Aldi, Lidl or whatever? I have lived in L'rea all my life and I don't want multinational companies coming into the town, investing nothing into it and taking the profits. I'd rather see Loughrea hold on to the principle of local people running local businesses and reinvesting their profits in other local businesses. I gladly pay a small amount extra on my shopping bill to keep character in my home town. If someone disagrees then fine - they're served by supermarkets in other towns very nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

fatgav wrote: »
    do you have a link to prove your point? i'm just asking because i've never heard this and i'm very doubtful that a planning permission would be turned down for such a reason.

Galway Co Council Planning Authority Register Reference: 045660. http://www.galway.ie/en/services/planning/TextBasedQuery/

An Bord Pleanala. Bord Reference Number 07 214562. http://www.pleanala.ie/REP/214/R214562.DOC
    (You will see from the first page of the doc that the successfull appealants were Loughrea Chamber of Commerce and RGDATA)

• Advertisement

i stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

scart wrote: »

Of course the chamber of commerce objected to that application, why would they not? They are there to represent the businesses in the town and that is all they were doing.

It was a rediculous place to put a supermarket in the first place. You could not walk to where they were putting it, how would that have been good planning? Out of town shopping centers are a discredited idea, An Bord Pleanála got it right if you ask me.

That is not to say competition is not needed (as long as it's not Tesco).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

John just to reply to your message about the lack of choice in Loughrea. If you have failed to notice McInerneys Supervalu. Supervalu has the largest market share of any other supermarket in this country and according to recent nca surveys it is the cheapest supermarket on leading brands. The shop is moving up beside the new hotel and will be the largest supervalu in the country spanning over 30,000 sq ft, around twice the size of its current store...so who needs tesco or lidle??:)

:)Marge I am just letting you know that it is mcinerneys moving into that new site and its still a prime location...can you disagree with the fact that most people don't drive to do their shopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Scoobydo wrote: »
    John just to reply to your message about the lack of choice in Loughrea. If you have failed to notice McInerneys Supervalu. Supervalu has the largest market share of any other supermarket in this country and according to recent nca surveys it is the cheapest supermarket on leading brands. The shop is moving up beside the new hotel and will be the largest supervalu in the country spanning over 30,000 sq ft, around twice the size of its current store...so who needs tesco or lidle??:)

Thanks scooby!
    SV is ok if your a meat and two veg kinda person,I am not!
    FInd it really hard to find foodstuffs that i need i.e choice/selection.
    I travel to various supermarkets Aldi/lidl in gort and dunnes for meat on way home from work in briarhill.
    I need the choice that these stores bring,sorry!
    john

On reading the planning refusal for tesco the only reason they were refused was because they were outside the town boundry and other businesses within the town felt it was unfair..and the council agreed!Aldi have found a location beside mcinerneys (supervalu being Irealnds cheapest branded shopping outlet-voted by the NCA) and the town has not objected because it is INSIDE the town boundry..and I am sure mncinerneys welcome the competition..who are Aldi?..some foreign company selling strange foods...but what Irish person wants to support Irish producers..obviously not you!Mcinerneys employ about 180-200 people..one of Loughreas largest employers..but you continue supporting aldi!:)

Scoobydo

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

What a load of rubbish. Is Mc Inerney paying you to grovel on his behalf. That store is the equivalent to RIP OFF LOUGHREA. As for the amount they employ ,I find that laughable.

why would the amount dey employ be laughable..its one of Irelands most successful retail stores..(top 3 supervalu)..and the prices are checked by the NCA and supervalu is a major competitior in low prices to other larger multiples..so will you get your facts correct before getting yourself all excited!and mcinerneys current store is 15,000 sq ft and the new shop will be 37,500 sp ft..oh and aldi are welcomed by mcinerneys..what competition are they to a superior store..with local values..brilliant success rates..unbeatable branded goods value....and supporting Loughrea with nearly 200 jobs and more to come when they move!

So basically you really need to come down to earth and think whats right..why should a tesco run a traditional town..we have everything..and im sure supervalu won't exactly be crying over not having your custom.

Scoobydo:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gerry... is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Lucciano wrote: »
    Lidl and Tesco's have been blocked from entering the town of Loughrea.
    Having read the planning rejections from both, I have to say they are
    the most moronic and pathetic refusals I have ever hear.

Why is Loughrea Town so afraid of legitimate competition ?
    Is it that they will have to provide fair pricing, and cease ripping
    off people in the town and surrounding areas ?

The Loughrea Chamber of Commerce and other local authorities are
    intentionally blocking this stores from gaining planning permission.
    Surely blocking competition is against the law and is robbing the local
    community of much needed employment.

The people of Loughrea should let their voicces be heard. Especially
    in light of the current recessional situation with our economy.
    Are we to sit back and continue to get ripped off by the likes of McInereys SuperValu, Beatty's and other family stores in the town ?

What are the politicians doing about it ?...........NOTHING !!!!
    It Stinks of Corruption !!!

We want the competition in Loughrea !!!
    We want Choice !!!
    We want value for money !!!

L.

Nice first post Mr Tesco or Mr Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

well better than that prat from mcinerneys who replied to an old thread ,saying how supervalu is great .yeah right
    i live in loughrea and have to drive either to galway/gort/ballinaslo every week to do shopping.supervalu is a rip off.rude ignorant staff.crap seclection.every week i spend money outisde of loughrea .it will turn like ballinasloe afraid of competition
    and its not teco writing that.they have given up.are selling the land they own,that was blocked by mcinerneyts.small minded mentality here sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

That is classic Galway. What a hole, glad to be out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

That is classic Galway. What a hole, glad to be out of it.

If you're out of this "hole", as you describe it - why post on the county forum? Especially when you're not going to make a valuable contribution, in my opinion. I think you should say something productive rather than the above, which doesn't really add much to the topic.

Anyway, back to the topic, is there not a new Aldi opening in that new site? Long overdue but it should help bring a few prices down. The prices in Supervalu are certainly way out of line, but it is a business, if it was me running it, I would certainly use any power/pull/whatever you want to call it so I could keep competition away and make more money.

Its awful that a town of the size doesn't have more choice, definitely, but if I was in McInerney's position, that would suit me just fine. Its money in the bank the longer they remain as the sole supermarket in the town. But I do hope choice is on the way, and soon.

For the record, a fair number of friends/family have been employed in McInerney's and I've never heard a bad word - the opposite in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I've got to agree that McInerneys is pretty pricey, its prices don't seem to be in any way competitive. And its specials are not that special. But i have to disagree about the staff, they are nice, friendly and helpful. never had a problem with them. With the new Aldi coming in, hopefully they will push Supervalue to lower their prices, although i am a fan of Aldi's products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Loughrea has always been a drag on the surrounding country. For years the local business community objected at every turn to a bypass of the town, forcing every intercity driver to crawl through the place to get to Dublin and points East.
    The lake blocks the town to the south and the roads radiating to the north all converge in the main st which runs east-west for miles with no depth to it.
    Classically bad ribbon development with no thought for through traffic to other locations.
    There should be plenty of locations near McInerneys in which to build a competing supermarket of some size, I agree with the fears about out-of-town developments, Tescos has done the same to Maynooth and other Irish towns, sucking the life out of them and taking over non-supermarket lines like music and electrical hardware, but not being able to give the expert advice and backup needed for such purchases. It is disturbing to see them gobble up every economic sector from florists to newsagents to bakeries etc.
    Aldi are worse if the Dublin stores are anything to go by, surly staff, huge staff turnover, cramped aisles, unreliable stock supply, having to buy goods out of stock elsewhere etc. The quality of their stuff is good though unlike the early days of own brand goods in Ireland.

You truly should give up posting comments because you make a right arse of yourself!mcinerneys has won emerald and quality awards of 2009 and is rated in the top ten supervalus out of 190 in the entire country (customer service being outstanding). Supervalu give incentives to schools..promotes tidy towns in Loughrea..sponsors many teams and events. The NCA (this might confuse you) award supervalu the CHEAPEST branded food shop (and thats before they lowered thousands of prices)!..you want to support lidle..you like that crap..goodluck..just get your facts straight in future!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

You truly should give up posting comments because you make a right arse of yourself!mcinerneys has won emerald and quality awards of 2009 and is rated in the top ten supervalus out of 190 in the entire country (customer service being outstanding). Supervalu give incentives to schools..promotes tidy towns in Loughrea..sponsors many teams and events. The NCA (this might confuse you) award supervalu the CHEAPEST branded food shop (and thats before they lowered thousands of prices)!..you want to support lidle..you like that crap..goodluck..just get your facts straight in future!:)
    Supervalu is easily the worst of all the supermarkets. They seem to treat the consumer with nothing but disdain. See the thread on consumer issues about their scams. They always seem to stock a huge amount of gone off food.

haha gone off food?your not serious..mcinerneys has one of the highest food turnovers in the country (supervalu stores)..apart from that there are so many date checks..twice daily on fresh foods..quality checks twice daily on fresh foods and daily checks on shop floor foods..!so i doubt you actually found any gone off food!the only thing i dislike about shopping in mcinerneys is the fact that it is constantly so busy it becomes difficult to make your way done the aisles!..hopefully the new store will resolve this problem..and have the space to cope with mcinerneys huge customer base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

haha gone off food?your not serious..mcinerneys has one of the highest food turnovers in the country (supervalu stores)..apart from that there are so many date checks..twice daily on fresh foods..quality checks twice daily on fresh foods and daily checks on shop floor foods..!so i doubt you actually found any gone off food!the only thing i dislike about shopping in mcinerneys is the fact that it is constantly so busy it becomes difficult to make your way done the aisles!..hopefully the new store will resolve this problem..and have the space to cope with mcinerneys huge customer base

Will you come off it you clown. What average customer knows those sorts of shop procedures.

Its your shop isn't it. Why don't you just stop lying, its reflecting fairly badly on your sham of a business.

If your shop is good then it should be able to stand a bit of competition. Blocking competition with no doubt underhand local politics at play is a disgusting approach to businesses and a slap in the face for the Galway consumer.

And I would bet anything that Aldi actually carry more Irish produced food than your place and at a fraction of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scoobydo and Photojoe win a short holiday

Advertisement