Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP-OFF LOUGHREA BLOCKS LIDL and TESCO'S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lucciano

Scoobydo wrote: »
    :)Marge I am just letting you know that it is mcinerneys moving into that new site and its still a prime location...can you disagree with the fact that most people don't drive to do their shopping?

Scooby you must owned McInerneys the way you keep promoting it.
    Loughrea needs more competition. Super Valu are a rip off. They should be called Super Expensive. Also their selection of meat is crap and the steaks are stringy, their selection of fresh fish is non-existant.

At least with Lidl and Aldi you get value for money when you shop.
    You can fill a shopping trolley for about 120. In McInerneys you trolley would only be half to three quarters full for that price.

The Day Aldi comes to Loughrea will be a great day. Also I heard a new hardware company were coming to loughrea also. Hopefully it will give Beatty's a good kick. Beatty's prices are a joke.

On reading the planning refusal for tesco the only reason they were refused was because they were outside the town boundry and other businesses within the town felt it was unfair..and the council agreed!Aldi have found a location beside mcinerneys (supervalu being Irealnds cheapest branded shopping outlet-voted by the NCA) and the town has not objected because it is INSIDE the town boundry..and I am sure mncinerneys welcome the competition..who are Aldi?..some foreign company selling strange foods...but what Irish person wants to support Irish producers..obviously not you!Mcinerneys employ about 180-200 people..one of Loughreas largest employers..but you continue supporting aldi!:)

Scoobydo

Hey McInerney ! Save your useless blurb for someone who swallows rubbish talk. You're a rip-off merchant !

Brouhaha wrote: »
    Of course the chamber of commerce objected to that application, why would they not? They are there to represent the businesses in the town and that is all they were doing.

It was a rediculous place to put a supermarket in the first place. You could not walk to where they were putting it, how would that have been good planning? Out of town shopping centers are a discredited idea, An Bord Pleanála got it right if you ask me.

That is not to say competition is not needed (as long as it's not Tesco).

Brouhaha;
    "you could not walk there" ????? When I go to a supermarket to do weekly shopping I drive my car and fill my boot. How do you expect people to walk home their weekly shopping ? Do you carry your weekly shopping home on your back ???

Placing the super market on the edge of town makes better sense. It's idiotic having a super market in the middle of a town. You get caught in traffic coming in to and out of the supermarket. Placing it on the outskirts of the city you avoid town traffic and you can get in and out of the supermarket quickly and on to a main road in seconds.

Bord Pleanala's brains are stuck where the sun don't shine. All you have to do is look at the other great messes they've made in the country. No fore-thought in their department at all. They are a joke.

L.

Nice first post Mr Tesco or Mr Lidl.

Not connected in any way to Lidl for Tesco's. I want fair pricing and I want competition. I'm sick of getting ripped-off every time I shop in Loughrea.

You truly should give up posting comments because you make a right arse of yourself!mcinerneys has won emerald and quality awards of 2009 and is rated in the top ten supervalus out of 190 in the entire country (customer service being outstanding). Supervalu give incentives to schools..promotes tidy towns in Loughrea..sponsors many teams and events. The NCA (this might confuse you) award supervalu the CHEAPEST branded food shop (and thats before they lowered thousands of prices)!..you want to support lidle..you like that crap..goodluck..just get your facts straight in future!:)

Take your head out of cartoonland. Next time you wake up and open your eyes, put on your glasses Mr. Magoo and compare the prices. According to an NCA Survey: Lidl is Irelands Cheapest Supermarket. Look up the newspapers and get yourself an education Genius.

The truth hurts doesn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

Ya i agree with you completely with the meats..they are pretty poor quality..but disaggree with prices..especially with their current offers and meal deals!but sorry i don't own McInerney's..aldi will be coming but supervalu sales in Gort went up when aldi came because it attracted more people to the town!but ya beattys is a joke..they constantly send you from one shop to the other..very confusing set up they have going on!..but i hear that shop isn't coming for another few months/years with the reccession..they pulled out for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Placing the super market on the edge of town makes better sense. It's idiotic having a super market in the middle of a town. You get caught in traffic coming in to and out of the supermarket. Placing it on the outskirts of the city you avoid town traffic and you can get in and out of the supermarket quickly and on to a main road in seconds.

You are being short sighted here, unlike the chamber of commerce in Loughrea, a supermarket on the outskirts of a town kills the town, local business and rips the heart out of a town.

If the supermarket went ahead the exact same people would be posting here in 5 years time saying Loughrea is a ghost town with nothing in it, no shops and nothing to do, why, because nobody would be shopping in the town and all the local business would be closed down and there would be no jobs for the local kids, no shops to sponsor your GAA and soccer teams all there would be is a traffic jam going into the local tesco and the profits from same heading to the UK or Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Tinder wrote: »
    You are being short sighted here, unlike the chamber of commerce in Loughrea, a supermarket on the outskirts of a town kills the town, local business and rips the heart out of a town.

If the supermarket went ahead the exact same people would be posting here in 5 years time saying Loughrea is a ghost town with nothing in it, no shops and nothing to do, why, because nobody would be shopping in the town and all the local business would be closed down and there would be no jobs for the local kids, no shops to sponsor your GAA and soccer teams all there would be is a traffic jam going into the local tesco and the profits from same heading to the UK or Germany.

Loughrea is like that as it is!!!
    Huge potential in the town but people who live here rarely see it!!!
    slan
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the thread in West, same posters, same subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

LOL :D

Loughrea will be the largest town in Ireland with no supermarket at this rate . Plonkers.

Most people I know drive 12 miles to Gort where there is competition , or else to Galway .

( Mc Inerneys is not a supermarket , it is a large and very expensive corner shop in my experience )

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    LOL :D

Loughrea will be the largest town in Ireland with no supermarket at this rate . Plonkers.

Most people I know drive 12 miles to Gort where there is competition , or else to Galway .

( Mc Inerneys is not a supermarket , it is a large and very expensive corner shop in my experience )

Well that 'corner shop' will soon be the largest SUPERmarket in the coutry!I think it can cope with your needs somehow

Photojoe wrote: »
    Will you come off it you clown. What average customer knows those sorts of shop procedures.

Its your shop isn't it. Why don't you just stop lying, its reflecting fairly badly on your sham of a business.

If your shop is good then it should be able to stand a bit of competition. Blocking competition with no doubt underhand local politics at play is a disgusting approach to businesses and a slap in the face for the Galway consumer.

And I would bet anything that Aldi actually carry more Irish produced food than your place and at a fraction of the price.

No its not my shop..but I work in retail and Supervalu is a superior shop leading the way in Irish Grocery Trade..you will find their Nice Price range cannot be beating in price..branded foods are proven to be the cheapest in most lines (NCA Report)..so I don't think this town should put down a thriving business. You called it a sham of a business...you are clearly slow on the uptake if you truly think that..from shopping in McInerney's on a regular basis that shop is pretty good..very very clean,excellent staff,and extremely good bargains!ye are the minority few who just try to find fault..grow up is all I can say.

Lucciano wrote: »
    Take your head out of cartoonland. Next time you wake up and open your eyes, put on your glasses Mr. Magoo and compare the prices. According to an NCA Survey: Lidl is Irelands Cheapest Supermarket. Look up the newspapers and get yourself an education Genius.

The truth hurts doesn't it.

Mr. Magoo..are you ten..and I don't wear glasses..According to the NCA Lidl is Irelands cheapest supermarket. But Supervalu is the cheapest shop for BRANDED FOODS as I said (do you know what brands are)..well going by you primark is as good as it gets!so stick with lidl

Hey McInerney ! Save your useless blurb for someone who swallows rubbish talk. You're a rip-off merchant !

Why are you calling me McInerney..Im not relating in any way to him or that shop..just shop there.I don't see why the few of ye fight over that shop..its pointless..ye clearly have pathetic lives and just like talking about trivial matters which have no point or true agruement. Oh and according to the NCA Michael Mc is not a rip-off merchant..far from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

Do you carry your weekly shopping home on your back ???

I always walk to the shops, I see it as an advantage to living in a town that you don't need to drive. Granted I'm not buying a whole pile of stuff.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for, there is a vibrancy to the town center that needs to be protected. I'd prefer to support family-owned local businesses even if they need to cost a bit more and keep money in the local economy. The alternative is to become just another homogeneous ghost town with a megamart on the outskirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Ruanej90

FINALLY SOME PEOPLE FROM LOUGHREA!!! {well craughwell}10 mins away but lived there before in there everyday first things first DON'T shop in McInerny's SuperValu they're a rip-off unless you buy the niceprice stuff but it tastes like crap! lol
    centras a rip-off too only good for redbull and brahma beer! in autumn the new shopping centre beside paul service centre near the new hotel is gonna have an ALDI !! and another supervalu weirdly but some people think that theres a cinema going where mcinernys is but we cant be sure they said that 12whole years ago ! {really} about the new swimmingpool loughreas a bit of a dive and the people are REALLY unfriendly even to locals! where abouts do you live? across from the lake or up the top of the town if your up the top your 30mins from ballinansloe and across from the lake just go o gort like every other person!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

Scooby you must owned McInerneys the way you keep promoting it.
    Loughrea needs more competition. Super Valu are a rip off. They should be called Super Expensive. Also their selection of meat is crap and the steaks are stringy, their selection of fresh fish is non-existant.

At least with Lidl and Aldi you get value for money when you shop.
    You can fill a shopping trolley for about 120. In McInerneys you trolley would only be half to three quarters full for that price.

The Day Aldi comes to Loughrea will be a great day. Also I heard a new hardware company were coming to loughrea also. Hopefully it will give Beatty's a good kick. Beatty's prices are a joke.

beattys has the WORST service in the world don't bother asking anyone in the shop for help and you'll be well lucky if you even find the feckin gates open in the big sheds down by the mart{subway go straight on} but to be honest wouldn't a Tescos look Alien in loughrea? iv'e lived here a long time now and i just cant imagine it.....:confused::confused::confused:

how many of ye Actually LIVE WITHIN loughrea not bullaun or craughwell or outside the town?:confused: btw no specific reason just spooling through the comments on here show me some intelligrnt people {a type of person im yet to find in loughrea!!}

Tinder wrote: »

Hi Tinder, While I understand your concern for the town. Loughrea is not a Metropolis. So to place a supermarket on the outskirts of the town will not do damage. I hope you know that a new development is being built on the Galway side of the town. This is not in the centre of town and yet it has gone ahead. Probably due to the fact that Gerry Mc is the anchor tenant there. But at least the town will now have an Aldi/Lidl tenant also which might help SuperValu drop his prices.

Ruanej90 wrote: »
    FINALLY SOME PEOPLE FROM LOUGHREA!!! {well craughwell}10 mins away but lived there before in there everyday first things first DON'T shop in McInerny's SuperValu they're a rip-off unless you buy the niceprice stuff but it tastes like crap! lol
    centras a rip-off too only good for redbull and brahma beer! in autumn the new shopping centre beside paul service centre near the new hotel is gonna have an ALDI !! and another supervalu weirdly but some people think that theres a cinema going where mcinernys is but we cant be sure they said that 12whole years ago ! {really} about the new swimmingpool loughreas a bit of a dive and the people are REALLY unfriendly even to locals! where abouts do you live? across from the lake or up the top of the town if your up the top your 30mins from ballinansloe and across from the lake just go o gort like every other person!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

why wud you consider mcinerneys a rip-off..not another person fighting over the prices..and nice is the exact same as batchelors..kelloggs etc..just a different label and its 40% cheaper!and a cinema isn't going where mcinerneys is right now when they move shop..and whats with people and aldi..they sell such crap food..why would you support a German company when you could support a local business providing nearly 200 jobs to the local community and offer foods we know..not german crap!

• Advertisement

Hi Tinder, While I understand your concern for the town. Loughrea is not a Metropolis. So to place a supermarket on the outskirts of the town will not do damage. I hope you know that a new development is being built on the Galway side of the town. This is not in the centre of town and yet it has gone ahead. Probably due to the fact that Gerry Mc is the anchor tenant there. But at least the town will now have an Aldi/Lidl tenant also which might help SuperValu drop his prices.

jesus why would one aldi shop in loughrea make supervalu change the prices in over 190 stores around the country!seriously you lot worry me talkin about this. As it is SuperValu has the cheapest range of BRANDED foods..Lidle cheapest for German stuff!Although McInerney's is a private company they do not decide the prices implemented by Musgraves..

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Would none of ye consider going to Aldi in Portumna? Port also has a Supervalu, and is also getting a Tesco Metro in the next 12 months.....

Mr. Magoo..are you ten..and I don't wear glasses..According to the NCA Lidl is Irelands cheapest supermarket. But Supervalu is the cheapest shop for BRANDED FOODS as I said (do you know what brands are)..well going by you primark is as good as it gets!so stick with lidl

Dear Scooby Mc Magoo.

Any idiot knows what branded foods are. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one genius. (and judging by your useless logic, and baseless argument, you're definitely no rocket scientist Junior Mc.)

Don't try to confuse people with sly marketing blurb and rhetoric. I'm in the marketing game sonny. The fact remains this. While you advertise SuperValu as the 'CHEAPEST BRANDED' supermarket it is infact LIDL who are NCA's 'CHEAPEST SUPERMARKET'. Don't run from the facts Sonny.

Maybe if you go out in the world and educate yourself.... trying to start with basic mathematics and branding, eventually you might see that there are cheaper prices and products out there, that don't have Supervalu and other familiar logotypes printed on them. That other supermarkets... cheaper supermarkets do exist.

Then maybe one day....just one day Ebenezer.....It might sink through into your tiny innocent little amoeba mind, that Supervalu is not value for money. Also you should broaden your palate. Most of the branded food we're offered in this country is pure and utter crap anyway. The quality of branded food on the continent is of a much higher quality.

Lets see how SuperValu's price fare out when competition really comes to town.

Let's hope in the mean time someone opens a good fresh fish shop here too.
    We're not that far from Galway port.

Would none of ye consider going to Aldi in Portumna? Port also has a Supervalu, and is also getting a Tesco Metro in the next 12 months.....

I'll check it out S.P.
    At least your town is open to competition, thus providing the benefit of more employment.

Ruanej90 wrote: »
    beattys has the WORST service in the world don't bother asking anyone in the shop for help and you'll be well lucky if you even find the feckin gates open in the big sheds down by the mart{subway go straight on} but to be honest wouldn't a Tescos look Alien in loughrea? iv'e lived here a long time now and i just cant imagine it.....:confused::confused::confused:

Hi Ruane,

Tesco's might look alien, but it would be a welcome alien.:D like ALF
    It would bring more employment and competition within the town.
    Most of the loughrea people do not work in loughrea.

jesus why would one aldi shop in loughrea make supervalu change the prices in over 190 stores around the country!seriously you lot worry me talkin about this. As it is SuperValu has the cheapest range of BRANDED foods..Lidle cheapest for German stuff!Although McInerney's is a private company they do not decide the prices implemented by Musgraves..

The fact that everyday more Irish people are shopping in Lidl and Aldi will
    change SuperValu's prices Junior. Also the welcome addition of an Aldi or Lidl in Loughrea would reduce the prices in McInerney's. It's called competition in a small town. It can be vicious.

Lidl / Aldi also provide recognised brands at far less cost than 'Duped for Valu' .........sorry my bad.......... Supervalu.

Plus at the end of the day even if it is German. Cheese is still cheese !. Milk is still milk !. Veg is still veg !. Fruit is still Fruit !. Wine is still wine...........Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, .....and It's all WAY cheaper in Lidl and Aldi.

Plus any money saved is money in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Supervalu - Superquinn prices without the quality...

Dear Scooby Mc Magoo.

Any idiot knows what branded foods are. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one genius. (and judging by your useless logic, and baseless argument, you're definitely no rocket scientist Junior Mc.)

Don't try to confuse people with sly marketing blurb and rhetoric. I'm in the marketing game sonny. The fact remains this. While you advertise SuperValu as the 'CHEAPEST BRANDED' supermarket it is infact LIDL who are NCA's 'CHEAPEST SUPERMARKET'. Don't run from the facts Sonny.

Maybe if you go out in the world and educate yourself.... trying to start with basic mathematics and branding, eventually you might see that there are cheaper prices and products out there, that don't have Supervalu and other familiar logotypes printed on them. That other supermarkets... cheaper supermarkets do exist.

Then maybe one day....just one day Ebenezer.....It might sink through into your tiny innocent little amoeba mind, that Supervalu is not value for money. Also you should broaden your palate. Most of the branded food we're offered in this country is pure and utter crap anyway. The quality of branded food on the continent is of a much higher quality.

Lets see how SuperValu's price fare out when competition really comes to town.

Let's hope in the mean time someone opens a good fresh fish shop here too.
    We're not that far from Galway port.

Ok im starting to realise that theres a minority few in this town unwilling to accept the fact that supervalu isn't a bad place to shop.

Although I have tried lidl and aldi their food doesn't personally appeal to me at all. Different regions enjoy different types of food..and a lot of Irish people enjoy Irish foods not German. If you get your facts in order before replying again lidl and supervalu are the same price on the basics..(milk 2l 1.49..bread 0.60..cheese etc). They just charge more for quality foods..but are still the cheapest for providing that quality to the Irish market. Althought Tesco have more stores in Ireland Supervalu still holds the predominant market share..they must be doing something right?

And don't try to insult my intelligence again..I have been in retail for a long time..not in supervalu but a well known irish company. We try to achieve their results..last year supervalu achieved the most Excellence Ireland awards..emerald awards and quality awards..McInerneys got them all I heard. So you lot are truly pathetic trying to insult that shop.

The art of rhetoric hasn't been used in any of my arguments until now either..you probably don't know what it is you just what to look smart with your big words and phrases..well Sonny they get you nowhere. And if you do a bit of research aldi in gort INCREASED supervalus sales over there..more people came to the town..more people realised the amount of essentials aldi don't provide..and hence supervalus sales increased..just getting my facts right..you might do the same.

The fact that everyday more Irish people are shopping in Lidl and Aldi will
    change SuperValu's prices Junior. Also the welcome addition of an Aldi or Lidl in Loughrea would reduce the prices in McInerney's. It's called competition in a small town. It can be vicious.

Lidl / Aldi also provide recognised brands at far less cost than 'Duped for Valu' .........sorry my bad.......... Supervalu.

Plus at the end of the day even if it is German. Cheese is still cheese !. Milk is still milk !. Veg is still veg !. Fruit is still Fruit !. Wine is still wine...........Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, .....and It's all WAY cheaper in Lidl and Aldi.

Plus any money saved is money in my pocket.

ya put more money in your pocket Junior but put crap on your table. And get your facts right will you..Supervalu has the largest market share in Ireland as it stands..desite there being more Tescos. People enjoy foods they know..people like fresh meats..a deli counter..fresh fish counters..bakerys..a well structured shop..being able to buy papers etc..Adli in Loughrea will just stop certain people in Loughrea who travel to Gort, Portumna etc..it won't effect Supervalus prices around the country..and it won't effect mcinerneys. So seriously get realistic here..you and a few others may like aldi and lidl..but the majority of the Irish population doesn't..despite saving a little bit of money..but not on milk, bread or cheese as you so stupidly pointed out (milk in supervalu and lidl 1.49 for 2l, bread in supervalu and lidl 0.60 sliced pan, cheese also the same price). So I think your wrong on a few of your little points Junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lads...

Advertisement