Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP-OFF LOUGHREA BLOCKS LIDL and TESCO'S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saammy

Loughrea town has become absolutly ridiculus. stopping competition from coming into the town will only make things worse. Allowing cheaper supermarkets in, will keep people in the town to spend their money locally. they will definetly give supervalue a run for its money. they are crazy expensive. €40 in supervalue and you get one small bag, €40 in lidl/adli and you get 3 or 4 small bags.
    So I say LET EM IN!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

saammy wrote: »
    Loughrea town has become absolutly ridiculus. stopping competition from coming into the town will only make things worse. Allowing cheaper supermarkets in, will keep people in the town to spend their money locally. they will definetly give supervalue a run for its money. they are crazy expensive. €40 in supervalue and you get one small bag, €40 in lidl/adli and you get 3 or 4 small bags.
    So I say LET EM IN!!!

well they clearly are coming into the town..did you not notice their logo printed to the new shopping centre sign? And Loughrea doesn't block competition in my opinion..aldi coming is a clear sign of that. Tesco was blocked because it was so far away from the town centre..and local businesses (represented by the Loughrea Camber of Commerce) feared that it would take a lot of people away from the town..a pretty good reason? People just always seem to blame McInerneys without actually having a clue what they are talking about. I agree about the 40 quid for a bag..but you must buy some pretty expensive stuff. The average small bag would hold maybe some milk, bread,a bottle of coke!....less than a tenners worth unless your going crazy?!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saammy

Scoobydo wrote: »
    well they clearly are coming into the town..did you not notice their logo printed to the new shopping centre sign? And Loughrea doesn't block competition in my opinion..aldi coming is a clear sign of that. Tesco was blocked because it was so far away from the town centre..and local businesses (represented by the Loughrea Camber of Commerce) feared that it would take a lot of people away from the town..a pretty good reason? People just always seem to blame McInerneys without actually having a clue what they are talking about. I agree about the 40 quid for a bag..but you must buy some pretty expensive stuff. The average small bag would hold maybe some milk, bread,a bottle of coke!....less than a tenners worth unless your going crazy?!:)

First of all you can get a lot more than just milk, bread and a bottle of coke into a plastic shopping bag for gods sake. Secondly Aldi have been refused in the past and despite rumors it is actually only recently that they have been allowed into the town on condition that mcinerney is allowed in the shopping centre as well.
    And what difference does it make how far tesco were outside of the town, I shop in lidl in another town half hour away but i still come back to loughrea town to buy all the rest of my stuff locally. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I only have two major issues with McInernys
    - parking: not enough and if the locals could just park straight!! The chap they have coordinating parking at busy times of the year is a star!!
    - consistancy: some weeks they have products, some weeks they don't. They stock a product for a while, then it disappears. They are so stuck for space that it seems their products are all over the shop - literally.

I guess it's a sign of a healthy business!

First of all you can get a lot more than just milk, bread and a bottle of coke into a plastic shopping bag for gods sake. Secondly Aldi have been refused in the past and despite rumors it is actually only recently that they have been allowed into the town on condition that mcinerney is allowed in the shopping centre as well.
    And what difference does it make how far tesco were outside of the town, I shop in lidl in another town half hour away but i still come back to loughrea town to buy all the rest of my stuff locally. :)

Actually saammy mcinerneys is the anchor tenant at the new shopping centre taking up the majority of the space. Aldi applyed and mcinerneys had the option to refuse it but didn't..as it was in the town boundry and aldi has a positive effect on supervula in gort. So there are no conditions about mcinerneys being allowed only as long as aldi are. don't know where you heard thatt from

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    I only have two major issues with McInernys
    - parking: not enough and if the locals could just park straight!! The chap they have coordinating parking at busy times of the year is a star!!
    - consistancy: some weeks they have products, some weeks they don't. They stock a product for a while, then it disappears. They are so stuck for space that it seems their products are all over the shop - literally.

I guess it's a sign of a healthy business!

Couldn't agree more with you marge. The products do just disappear for awhile at times..pretty annoying when you really need the particular item but londis might have it!ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 A.F.M.

ya put more money in your pocket Junior but put crap on your table. And get your facts right will you..Supervalu has the largest market share in Ireland as it stands..desite there being more Tescos. People enjoy foods they know..people like fresh meats..a deli counter..fresh fish counters..bakerys..a well structured shop..being able to buy papers etc..Adli in Loughrea will just stop certain people in Loughrea who travel to Gort, Portumna etc..it won't effect Supervalus prices around the country..and it won't effect mcinerneys. So seriously get realistic here..you and a few others may like aldi and lidl..but the majority of the Irish population doesn't..despite saving a little bit of money..but not on milk, bread or cheese as you so stupidly pointed out (milk in supervalu and lidl 1.49 for 2l, bread in supervalu and lidl 0.60 sliced pan, cheese also the same price). So I think your wrong on a few of your little points Junior

Hi Scoobydoo. Apart from Milk and bread, that have been reudced to the same as Lidl or Aldi, Cheese is very expensive in Mcinerneys.
    I seen some supervalue blocks of cheddar for 4.99 (marked as reduced family value). I can buy a block of cheddar the same size (or slight bigger) in Aldi for about 2.79. Also their Lidl's Goodfellas pizzas are 50c cheaper. I haven't done a complete price scan but products are generally cheaper in Aldi and Lidl.

If I do a weeks shopping in Mcinerneys a full trolley will cost me the guts of 200euro. If I do the same weeks shopping in Aldi buying the same food types I can get a full trolley for about 150 to 170 euro. That is a saving of 50 to 30 euro. You cant argue that these days that's a lot of money to save on shopping.:D

So I say LET EM IN!!!

Hi Sammy. Supervalue is pretty dear alright. The difference in a full trolley between McInerneys and Aldi is about 50-30 euros. Thats buying the same food.
    While I know the Supervlaue have good value on somethings. Otherthings are very dear. and that is where they make their money up.

The only examples I can remember now is cheese 4.99. Same block in Aldi 2.79. Some of the goodfellas pizzas were 50cent cheaper in lidl. I do buy some for this for the kids. I usually buy four so I saved two euro's shopping in Lidl already thats the cost of my petrol money returned.

It will be great when one of these chains come to the town. We can shop between mcinerneys and aldi buy the best offers.

Any ideas when the new place is opened and what other shops will be there.

Couldn't agree more with you marge. The products do just disappear for awhile at times..pretty annoying when you really need the particular item but londis might have it!ha

parking at the shop is bad. agreed. but some drivers take up two spaces at one time. these drivers should be called back to their cars and made park them correctly. some people are just to lazy and ignorant to even park a car.

Ruanej90 wrote: »
    how many of ye Actually LIVE WITHIN loughrea not bullaun or craughwell or outside the town?:confused: btw no specific reason just spooling through the comments on here show me some intelligrnt people {a type of person im yet to find in loughrea!!}

Outside Loughrea.

• Advertisement

Actually saammy mcinerneys is the anchor tenant at the new shopping centre taking up the majority of the space. Aldi applyed and mcinerneys had the option to refuse it but didn't..as it was in the town boundry and aldi has a positive effect on supervula in gort. So there are no conditions about mcinerneys being allowed only as long as aldi are. don't know where you heard thatt from

Hi there Scooby Doo, You seem to know a lot about supervalue. I've gone through the past comments of yours, you seem to know details that no one else but a supervalue person would know. Are you management staff ? or Michael McInerney ?

You know supervalue pricing very well, a little too well. You know about the new development and that supervalue are the anchor. You say that supervalue had an option to refuse aldi but didn't. Who else would know that but management.

very suspect.

A.F.M. wrote: »
    Hi there Scooby Doo, You seem to know a lot about supervalue. I've gone through the past comments of yours, you seem to know details that no one else but a supervalue person would know. Are you management staff ? or Michael McInerney ?

You know supervalue pricing very well, a little too well. You know about the new development and that supervalue are the anchor. You say that supervalue had an option to refuse aldi but didn't. Who else would know that but management.

very suspect.

ya very suspect knowing that supervalu are the anchor when it clearly states it on the sign for the new shopping centre. Working in retail and happen to know a lot about pricing,marketing etc..Happen to know McInerneys had option to refuse through a friend who works in the store..as McInerneys are the main development if they refused to move because of aldi o'rouke would have lost a lot of money so gave supervalu the option.

Not very suspect when you think about it..very basic how I know.

But mainly from working in retail and shopping in McInerneys I know a lot about the store

ya very suspect knowing that supervalu are the anchor when it clearly states it on the sign for the new shopping centre. Working in retail and happen to know a lot about pricing,marketing etc..Happen to know McInerneys had option to refuse through a friend who works in the store..as McInerneys are the main development if they refused to move because of aldi o'rouke would have lost a lot of money so gave supervalu the option.

Not very suspect when you think about it..very basic how I know.

But mainly from working in retail and shopping in McInerneys I know a lot about the store

Hi Scooby Doo, Thanks for the response.

I see said the blind man. Its not just about the new supermarket location, you seem to know what is (not) happening to the old building once it's closed.

You seem to be making a lot of supporting arguments for supervalue, a little more energy than the average punter would even bother doing. It's one thing to be involved in retail, it's another to be blowing the trumpet for supervalue.

You vigourously curb any negative comments with arguments for shopping in mcinverneys and stating how full of value it is. That does seem very strange to me. Its like your taking the comments of the supervalue critics personally. Thats what I find strange. Can you not see my point Scooby.

I haven't seen you say anything negative about the Mcinerneys pricing(maybe I've overlooked something) , and in fairness while Mcinerneys have good deals on certain things, the pricing of other items are expensive.

Hopefully aldi will provide some healthy competition. Its good for the customers. I can now shop for the best value from both shops. great.
    Any idea on when the new supervalue store is to open ?

Hi Scooby Doo, Thanks for the response.

I see said the blind man. Its not just about the new supermarket location, you seem to know what is (not) happening to the old building once it's closed.

You seem to be making a lot of supporting arguments for supervalue, a little more energy than the average punter would even bother doing. It's one thing to be involved in retail, it's another to be blowing the trumpet for supervalue.

You vigourously curb any negative comments with arguments for shopping in mcinverneys and stating how full of value it is. That does seem very strange to me. Its like your taking the comments of the supervalue critics personally. Thats what I find strange. Can you not see my point Scooby.

I haven't seen you say anything negative about the Mcinerneys pricing(maybe I've overlooked something) , and in fairness while Mcinerneys have good deals on certain things, the pricing of other items are expensive.

Hopefully aldi will provide some healthy competition. Its good for the customers. I can now shop for the best value from both shops. great.
    Any idea on when the new supervalue store is to open ?

The new store will open in the autumn..and this isn't proving your theory that im apart of supervalu..it clearly states it on the sign!

Supervalu offer so much more than aldi..15000 goods versus less than 7000 in aldi..im nearly certain that was the last figures. Supervalu offer the best value on branded goods (NCA Reports)..excellent hygiene and you feel comfortable in their stores..unlike the rushed feeling you experience in aldi stores.

You can't pick up the majority of food products in aldi that supervalu offer..its way too basic in my opinion.

Aldi won't offer a great deal of competition..they will just stop people like yourself from leaving loughrea to shop in gort or portumna. People like supervalu..apart from a few exceptions on this site..but the success of McInerneys opening one of the countries largest stores proves they are liked.

Aldi offer 12 pack pedigree dogs cans for 8.79 (that includes 2 extra free)..but Supervalu offer a six pack for 3.79..do the maths aldi arent that great in my opinion. Despite introducing a few brands they are still pretty poor.

Thanks for replying though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Listen Scoobydo, come clean and admit who you are. Listen to what is being said here, and defend your business. Pretending to be an impartial observer, whilst knowing how many products your local supermarket stocks just makes you look silly.

I visit Loughrea from time to time. I find the SuperValue to be outrageously priced. My relations who live in the Loughrea hinterland, all visit one of the German discounters at least every two weeks. They are cheaper. They do not stock the same range of brands, but in these times, quality is more important than brand loyalty.

IronMan wrote: »
    Listen Scoobydo, come clean and admit who you are. Listen to what is being said here, and defend your business. Pretending to be an impartial observer, whilst knowing how many products your local supermarket stocks just makes you look silly.

I visit Loughrea from time to time. I find the SuperValue to be outrageously priced. My relations who live in the Loughrea hinterland, all visit one of the German discounters at least every two weeks. They are cheaper. They do not stock the same range of brands, but in these times, quality is more important than brand loyalty.

No the average store stocks 15000-17000 porducts, pretty common fact if you work in retail. Stores like Aldi,Lidl....stock less than half that amount of products.

Now get this tiny little fact into your head IM NOT PART OF SUPERVALU..I never was and hopefully never will be!

Michael McInerney seems pretty ok from shopping there..but i certainly wouldnt like to be him and I amn't Mr Iron Man..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

This thread seems to be two seperate arguments:

1. Supervalu is considered expensive due to lack of competition - they are moving into a new place beside an Aldi in the Autumn, pick whichever ye want to shop in, or visit both, problem solved

2. Loughrea is anti-competitive - people have blamed the Chamber of Commerce for somehow blocking competition or, as the poll says, not actively going out to attact competition as if that's their function. There are empty units around the town, open a shop in competition to any existing shop and you won't be stopped, in fact you'll find the Chamber of Commerce to be helpful

For what it's worth I shop in Graces (Londis), quiter so faster

IronMan wrote: »

Got to agree with you there Iron Man.

Brand loyalty aka blind loyalty. All the food brands stocked in Lidl and Aldi are of very high quality, equal to if not in some cases better that some of the brands we're so used to here in Ireland. Bought a packet of battered cod in there last week. They were so delicious I bought two packets in this weeks shopping.

Lidl and Aldi are also starting to supply recognised brands at very good value.

I noticed that Supervalue are posting ads about once a week to my house advertising all their reductions in price. The pressure is on to reduce prices to Lidl and Aldi prices. Plus their pushing this 'Real Rewards' scheme to gain some customer loyalty.

At the end of the day you can't beat value for money. Can't wait for Aldi to come to the town.

Brouhaha wrote: »
    This thread seems to be two seperate arguments:

1. Supervalu is considered expensive due to lack of competition - they are moving into a new place beside an Aldi in the Autumn, pick whichever ye want to shop in, or visit both, problem solved

2. Loughrea is anti-competitive - people have blamed the Chamber of Commerce for somehow blocking competition or, as the poll says, not actively going out to attact competition as if that's their function. There are empty units around the town, open a shop in competition to any existing shop and you won't be stopped, in fact you'll find the Chamber of Commerce to be helpful

For what it's worth I shop in Graces (Londis), quiter so faster

Who's on the Chamber of Commerce ???

No the average store stocks 15000-17000 porducts, pretty common fact if you work in retail. Stores like Aldi,Lidl....stock less than half that amount of products.

Now get this tiny little fact into your head IM NOT PART OF SUPERVALU..I never was and hopefully never will be!

Michael McInerney seems pretty ok from shopping there..but i certainly wouldnt like to be him and I amn't Mr Iron Man..:)

McInerney.
    Yeah....I do see him in the shop from time to time, or when ever he decides to fall out of bed and into work. Sorry wouldn't like to be him either Scooby Doo.
    He looks like a bit of a tool......Kinda geeky-like.:p

• Advertisement

The new store will open in the autumn..and this isn't proving your theory that im apart of supervalu..it clearly states it on the sign!

Supervalu offer so much more than aldi..15000 goods versus less than 7000 in aldi..im nearly certain that was the last figures. Supervalu offer the best value on branded goods (NCA Reports)..excellent hygiene and you feel comfortable in their stores..unlike the rushed feeling you experience in aldi stores.

You can't pick up the majority of food products in aldi that supervalu offer..its way too basic in my opinion.

Aldi won't offer a great deal of competition..they will just stop people like yourself from leaving loughrea to shop in gort or portumna. People like supervalu..apart from a few exceptions on this site..but the success of McInerneys opening one of the countries largest stores proves they are liked.

Aldi offer 12 pack pedigree dogs cans for 8.79 (that includes 2 extra free)..but Supervalu offer a six pack for 3.79..do the maths aldi arent that great in my opinion. Despite introducing a few brands they are still pretty poor.

Thanks for replying though

Sorry Scooby but I don't eat dog food. I shop for value human food for myself and my family. If Dogs are stupid enough to pay for cans of crap then let them off.

Want a scooby snack ?

Sorry Scooby but I don't eat dog food. I shop for value human food for myself and my family. If Dogs are stupid enough to pay for cans of crap then let them off.

Want a scooby snack ?

I was giving an indication of the prices between the two and making a point that lidl arent really cheap for everything. People who have dog might like to know that! I shop for value aswell..but more importantly quality in my opinion. If I have to pay an extra bit for my food I honestly couldn't care as I can enjoy it!

You want cheap crap thats up to you!

Got to agree with you there Iron Man.

Brand loyalty aka blind loyalty. All the food brands stocked in Lidl and Aldi are of very high quality, equal to if not in some cases better that some of the brands we're so used to here in Ireland. Bought a packet of battered cod in there last week. They were so delicious I bought two packets in this weeks shopping.

Lidl and Aldi are also starting to supply recognised brands at very good value.

I noticed that Supervalue are posting ads about once a week to my house advertising all their reductions in price. The pressure is on to reduce prices to Lidl and Aldi prices. Plus their pushing this 'Real Rewards' scheme to gain some customer loyalty.

At the end of the day you can't beat value for money. Can't wait for Aldi to come to the town.

Supervalu real rewards is a loyalty scheme to thank customers for their support. I visited aldi two weeks ago..they had 3 types of larger,some weird can,poor wines,a terrible selection throughtout an extremely basic,unfriendly store. Do you honestly think they will pose major competition to a well established shop in the town.

Supervalu is the only store lowering prices while still strongly supporting IRISH BRANDS,IRISH JOBS. Who do you support..the Germans! Although Tesco proved to lower more prices..their range of price cuts tended to be unrelated to your everyday/weekly shop..more unessential items, and they used the English market to get cheaper goods..making Irish people lose jobs..

At the end of the day when you look at it Supervalu proves to be Irelands largest grocery group..offering the most support to Irish jobs,Irish brands and providing the best possible value in the process.

If it makes you happy not to support other Irish people then use Aldi when it arrives to Loughrea..McInerneys recently achieved regional store of the year..and Im sure they will continue to fight for their customers as much as their reputation in the town.

And once again Im not Michael Mc. I simply work for Musgraves SVC and shop in McInerneys on a regular basis and will continue to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Scoobydoo

Hows John Higgins keeping ? ( previous owner of supervalue in Gort )

I remember the little feker sold up at the first mention of Aldi coming to Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Supervalu is the only store lowering prices

Aldi and Lidl don't have to lower prices as they weren't overcharging like the rest of the retailers here.

I'll second what others have said about the quality of the food stuffs from Aldi & Lidl. Not everything is going to suit everyone but the same can be said for recognised brands from Supervalu and the like.

You must be shagging McInerneys daughter or the like with the defending you're doing on here. There's no way you have no association with them.

This is the kind of crap that would make the likes of me not shop there for that reason alone

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

ooh i hate supevalu in loughrea.nothing against supervalu only its dear but a certain manager was so ignorant to me and my baby once,i swore no more.can't wait for aldi, i drive to gort every week rather than hand over my money to mcinerneny,scooby def is him,so full of crap,wow they even brought back bag packers in an effort to lure deperate shoppers in.
    when is aldi going to open?
    what other shops will bet here-apart from scoobys shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Catherine M

A frequent visitor to Loughrea, I have recently heard that Lidl is coming to town, not far from the soon to be opened Aldi and McInernernys. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

i have an answers to all your questions, dont live in crappy towns, if you want it all live in a city, blowins dont have a say, your there a wet week and ur already rearranging the views, everywhere you goy in this country you have 20 years behind ppl, move to dublin, where we have tescos on every corner, its a tesco wonderland, rememmber they know what you have for brekfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Catherine M

What??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Looks like Mockler007 has an attitude problem.

Advertisement