Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP-OFF LOUGHREA BLOCKS LIDL and TESCO'S

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

mockler007 wrote: »
    i have an answers to all your questions, dont live in crappy towns, if you want it all live in a city, blowins dont have a say, your there a wet week and ur already rearranging the views, everywhere you goy in this country you have 20 years behind ppl, move to dublin, where we have tescos on every corner, its a tesco wonderland, rememmber they know what you have for brekfast!

Run down to Tesco and buy a dictionary for yourself, then come back to us when you understand how to write in English. And Dublin is by far and away the crappiest town in the country imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Scoobydo

No Lidl is not coming to the town. Just Aldi. But according to a survey on RTE yesterday supervalu proved cheaper on an essential basket of everyday goods versus Aldi.

This survey going on that Loughrea is anti-competitive is rubbish. Although Aldi is coming it was proved an essential basket of goods is cheaper in Supervalu versus Aldi.(The Afternoon Show-supported by the NCA).

Supervalu is part of Irelands largest grocery group but unlike Tesco an international retail giant their stores are independently owned. Supervalu lowered over 3000 significant price cuts..over 230 million on an annual 2.5 billion profit. But Tesco advertise their price cuts with 1 or 2 euros knocked off..the rest are a couple of cent..if even. At least Supervalu offer true price cuts and give the comsumer want they want. This may support why Supervalu is Irelands largest growing retailer capturing the market at a rapid pace.

People in this town against McInerney's need to realise that Ireland is an expensive place..Supervalu offers true competition in the Irish market which reflects in their current market share and constant increasing profits.

Londis is extremely expensive..as in Spar, Superquinn, Mace, Eurospar. 1.Tesco
    2.Dunnes
    3.SuperValu:
    are not expensive stores. Supervalu promotes local communities to come together.. what does Tesco do?

Dunnes slogan 'The Difference is We're Irish' versus Supervalu sourcing 75% of all goods in Ireland pushing over 2 billion into the national economy each year. It is the only store sourcing this amount of Irish products. Aldi source just under 40%.

'SuperValu is providing real competition to other retailers in Ireland with great promotions and everyday low prices'-NCA REPORT. Thats a fact not my opinion.

So get your facts together before putting down a local, thriving business.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Link to this survey?

A.F.M. wrote: »
    Got to agree with you there Iron Man.

Brand loyalty aka blind loyalty. All the food brands stocked in Lidl and Aldi are of very high quality, equal to if not in some cases better that some of the brands we're so used to here in Ireland. Bought a packet of battered cod in there last week. They were so delicious I bought two packets in this weeks shopping.

Lidl and Aldi are also starting to supply recognised brands at very good value.

I noticed that Supervalue are posting ads about once a week to my house advertising all their reductions in price. The pressure is on to reduce prices to Lidl and Aldi prices. Plus their pushing this 'Real Rewards' scheme to gain some customer loyalty.

At the end of the day you can't beat value for money. Can't wait for Aldi to come to the town.

Right thats it, McInerneys own the site of the new shopping centre and they are the anchor..they allowed aldi in because Monaghans SuperValu in Gort noticed increased sales when an Aldi opened over there because more people came to the town. SuperValu isnt moving in beside Aldi...Aldi were asked to move in beside SuperValu. Just get it right

Remember...SUPPORT IRISH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Survey from the afternoon show is available here:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/2009/0908/consumer764.html

Shows SuperValue to be the second most expensive on a basket of essential goods, with Tesco being the cheapest. It is hardly the most scientific of surveys. I personally find the quality of the goods in Aldi to be far superior to the Tesco Value equivalents which were used in the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

the cheap own brand stuff in supervalu is inedible.its just that cheap.the stuff in aldi is actually good quality.
    so when will aldi be open?save me driving to gort every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

Scoobydo wrote: »
    Right thats it, McInerneys own the site of the new shopping centre and they are the anchor..they allowed aldi in because Monaghans SuperValu in Gort noticed increased sales when an Aldi opened over there because more people came to the town. SuperValu isnt moving in beside Aldi...Aldi were asked to move in beside SuperValu. Just get it right

Its Minihane's SuperValue Gort not Monaghans ! To be fair McInerney i thought even you would've known that.

Anyways it was John Higgins that owned Supervalue in Gort when Aldi moved in, within in 3 months of them moving in, he sold up & moved on, so that argument of increased sales is bollix,

Now the current owners of SuperValue in Gort is Minihanes & there is rumours circulating at the moment of him letting go staff.

So i dont know where you heard the increased sales trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mmmmmmmmmmm Listeria.......... Musgraves has announced it is recalling some of its pre-cooked ham from some Super Valu and Centra stores.Rudd Fine Foods have notified the company of the possible presence of Listeria in three products that it supplies to the company.

http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=149537449

airhorn wrote: »
    Its Minihane's SuperValue Gort not Monaghans ! To be fair McInerney i thought even you would've known that.

Anyways it was John Higgins that owned Supervalue in Gort when Aldi moved in, within in 3 months of them moving in, he sold up & moved on, so that argument of increased sales is bollix,

Now the current owners of SuperValue in Gort is Minihanes & there is rumours circulating at the moment of him letting go staff.

So i dont know where you heard the increased sales trash.

Once again Im not Michael McInerney..and sales did increase in Gort. Why would Michael McInerney, owner of the site, member of the Loughrea Chamber of Commerce let them in otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Why would Michael McInerney, owner of the site, member of the Loughrea Chamber of Commerce let them in otherwise?

Because the bank, the real owner of the site, expect him to repay the loan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

soundbyte wrote: »
    Because the bank, the real owner of the site, expect him to repay the loan?

Well said soundbyte, well said.....

& Scoobydoo would you mind telling me how you know the sales increased in SuperValue in Gort, let me remind you again that Higgins sold up months after Aldi came on the scene, & the current owner is currently cutting back on staff...

airhorn wrote: »
    Well said soundbyte, well said.....

& Scoobydoo would you mind telling me how you know the sales increased in SuperValue in Gort, let me remind you again that Higgins sold up months after Aldi came on the scene, & the current owner is currently cutting back on staff...

How do you know the bank are the real owners of the site?Have you been in McInerneys..you can hardly move at times with the amount of customers?Not only that but they are offering the town 160 jobs..probably more when the new shop opens..how many do aldi offer??

SuperValu is not Irelands largest retail group because of high prices..they offer brilliant offers, exceptionally clean and well run stores in all 192 of them. And with a further 3000 price cuts they will continue to grow.

Im currently in Retail Management and I see no problems with SuperValu. Aldi offer no help, poor layout and selection, imported goods, bad atmospherics in their stores, and I personally don't like their foods.

Their prices being slightly cheaper reflect in the way they stack their goods. But once again the basics are the same price. SuperValu Bread 0.55, SuperValu 2L Milk 1.49, SuperValu 80 Teabags 0.60...and the same in Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bad atmospherics in their stores,

Scan, it's a shop for god sake, not a weather system.

mikom wrote: »
    Scan, it's a shop for god sake, not a weather system.

No thats a common retail expression..different shops use different atmospherics to try to and make the customers like the particular shop..lighting, colour, layout, displays, music etc..Aldi do not put a great deal of effort into this which reflects in their extremely basic stores..but they say this contributes to low prices?Not so on the basic goods, but you pay for brand quality in other stores like Tesco and Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

Resurecting this thread as there was a very good series in The Irish Times recently about the destruction of some town centres in Ireland (link below).

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/uptowndowntown/

There are a variety of reasons given like the loss of industry and the downturn (both of which affect Loughrea) but out-of-town shopping centres with hypermarkets like Tesco are also cited as major causes of town centres dieing.

I think we have a vibrant town centre which we should protect and support where we can. The planners got the decision to turn down Tesco right in my opinion.

Advertisement