Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First BT Bill Since Upgrade

Options
  • 15-10-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have just received my first bill from BT since upgrading to their 8Mb broadband service. :eek:

While I was informed that it wouldn't cost me any extra, my bill is over tiwce the cost that it used to be. :eek:

All of the charges are the same as before but there is a new line service charge of 115.15 euro. :mad:

BTBill.jpg?t=1224064671

I'm just waiting to calm down a bit before ringing them.

Anyone else get their bill yet???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Your Internet charges didn't change... not sure what those line service charges are but I'd get onto BT Customer Care as soon as because the upgrades are all free - haven't the foggiest what this could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

kleefarr wrote: »
    I have just received my first bill from BT since upgrading to their 8Mb broadband service. :eek:

While I was informed that it wouldn't cost me any extra, my bill is over tiwce the cost that it used to be. :eek:

All of the charges are the same as before but there is a new line service charge of 115.15 euro. :mad:

BTBill.jpg?t=1224064671

Mine is the same, double the usual!!! and not only this but they havent even been giving me broadband, they been giving me something more unreliable then when I had dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I have just got off the phone. Very pleasant lady, very apologetic.
    She admitted it was a mistake that the system had made after the upgrade and I can sent in the amount less the 115.15 euro.

Happy. :D

Actually... I'll have to deduct VAT as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Just checked mine and no change in the line charges etc. Although I am on a lower package than you as my broadband charge is 50'ish for the 2 months.

That is good Kleefarr but for those paying by DD it'll be a nightmare.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Just checked mine and no change in the line charges etc. Although I am on a lower package than you as my broadband charge is 50'ish for the 2 months.

That is good Kleefarr but for those paying by DD it'll be a nightmare.

I always pay by cheque. Allows me to get any problems sorted before they get the money.

This is the FIRST problem I have had with them to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are paying by direct debit contact them immediately and emphasise to them that under the rules of the scheme a disputed amount should not be debited.

As far as I know when BT overbill they are very reluctant to give a refund.

She admitted it was a mistake that the system had made after the upgrade and I can sent in the amount less the 115.15 euro.

Happy. :D

Actually... I'll have to deduct VAT as well.

Absolute crap!!!! How can a ''system'' make a mistake. Does nobody in BT's notoriously unreliable billing department do a rudimentary check before bills are actually issued.

In the example quoted there is an overcharge of €160 euros!!!!!!

Are there no internal controls and systems in that billing department? We are potentially talking thousands of euros of an overcharge and nobody noticed????

By the way if I was you (knowing BT's antics in the past) I would memo that conversation with name and date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

dub45 wrote: »
    Absolute crap!!!! How can a ''system'' make a mistake. Does nobody in BT's notoriously unreliable billing department do a rudimentary check before bills are actually issued.

In the example quoted there is an overcharge of €160 euros!!!!!!

Are there no internal controls and systems in that billing department? We are potentially talking thousands of euros of an overcharge and nobody noticed????

By the way if I was you (knowing BT's antics in the past) I would memo that conversation with name and date.

This is a good idea, Im actually going to start recording any conversation with BT.

They keep on telling me they will do something, but they never do. They say blahblah from our important tech support team will call you within 24 hours, I never hear a thing for 4 days and have to call back.

Also, they have hung up on me and on one occasion some dude just decided to ignore me for five mins. When he came back he said he had been investigating and was away from the phone, I SAID ITS NORMAL PRACTISE TO TELL SOMEONE WHEN YOU ARE LEAVING THE PHONE DOWN.

BTBill.jpg?t=1224064671

They have also stopped giving you a discount - just in case you didn't notice!!!

Yep I noticed. :D

I worked out the new bill as... €139.29 inc VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do NOT take them at their word. It's 99.99999999999999*% likely that they'll continue the over charged amount to the next bill, making you overdue, and then start to get nasty about it. Ring back, and tell them to re-issue the bill, with the correct amount. If they refuse, tell them you're not paying an incorrect bill as it's not up to you to calculate how much you owe them.

As dub45 pointed out, you should have been receiving a discount of 23.74 off the line rental of 41.92 (at least on the old bill, not sure about the new one but I think it should still be there). Get out your old bills, and see how much they've over charged you. Remember, it's 23.74 plus VAT on each bill, so that's 28.72 that they owe you, for every bill that's wrong. The 19.61 discount seems to be wrong.

Don't let them away with this, as they've been doing it forever.

*ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

They did the exact same thing to me when I got upgraded, took about 7 or 8 phone calls (promises of calls back that never materialised) and it was over 2 months before I got my money back. Terrible terrible service :mad:

zefer wrote: »
    They did the exact same thing to me when I got upgraded, took about 7 or 8 phone calls (promises of calls back that never materialised) and it was over 2 months before I got my money back. Terrible terrible service :mad:

That's the trouble with being on DD.:(

That's the trouble with being on DD.:(

Unfortunately most companies now won't provide you with services unless you sign up for dd. Its appalling! Particularly as these companies have so little respect for their obligations under the scheme.

Unfortunately most companies now won't provide you with services unless you sign up for dd. Its appalling! Particularly as these companies have so little respect for their obligations under the scheme.

Your right there.

Your right there.

As always!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Make sure you tell them right at the start of the call after they tell you their name that can be understood clearly that you re recording the call for customer service quality enforcement reasons, it they then hang up you've got them...

MC

As always!!! :D

I'll just have to take your word on that, as I'm not prepared to check all of you posts to tel you otherwise. ;)

I'll just have to take your word on that, as I'm not prepared to check all of you posts to tel you otherwise. ;)

Well I only claim infallibility when reminding people about the mess that is the direct debit system.:)

Well I only claim infallibility when reminding people about the mess that is the direct debit system.:)

and BT, of course.

• Advertisement

:D

Guess what?

Got a phone call from the billing department just after midday. Phoning to find out why I hadn't paid the bill. I told the lady that I was expecting to be notified of the new amount. She said it had been taken off, €60. I said , well it's still wrong I said. Went through the ins and outs of it again.
    She sounded like she was a bit confused, so after telling her that it should only be a few euro more than the last bill I would sent something and wait for them to sort it out. :)

Recorded name date time.

jor el wrote: »
    You should have been receiving a discount of 23.74 off the line rental of 41.92.

Where can I get confimation of this €23.74?

I dont think you will find it written anywhere on the BT website about this amount - from what I have read here it seems to show up on on the bill.

Checked the bill and can only find reference to the €19.61.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I too, have been overcharged for this upgrade just like the OP. €100 over charged.

They credited half of it in the latest bill but I was still overcharged. Nice lady in BT customer service had to check with a "supervisor" and agreed that yes, I was overcharged. She was going to credit the account again but I said no, refund please. She said no problem, took my details and said I'd get the money in a few days.

I'm going to check the account now...

Nope, still no sign of the money. Lovely, looks like I'll have to get back onto BT AGAIN.

That's the discount on my old bills, so your's should be the same. You should be able to work it out yourself based on what you should be paying every two months, and what they've billed you for. If you're talking to them again, ask them to confirm what the bundled price should be, then ask why your bill is larger than this.

jor el wrote: »
    That's the discount on my old bills, so your's should be the same. You should be able to work it out yourself based on what you should be paying every two months, and what they've billed you for. If you're talking to them again, ask them to confirm what the bundled price should be, then ask why your bill is larger than this.

Ah. That is most likely the reason then, I do not have a bundled pack with them, just Broadband and Phone separate from each other. I use another provider for all International calls.

The new bill has arrived and while I was expecting some more horrendous cock ups, I am pleasantly surprised. I will have to go through it properly, but on fist glance it looks quite acceptable, but a little more than I expected. Only €10-€15 Euro though.

BTBill.jpg?t=1229288842

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sorry to hijack your thread kleefarr but I don't see any reason to start a new thread...

I received my BT bill today for the month of Nov (Period: 1st Nov-1st Dec). The VAT rate is showing as 21.5%, yet the bill is for the month of Nov only. I presume I'd still be charged 21%.

Is 21.5% the correct rate for the Nov bill?

Thanks ambrose

EDIT: Nevermind! I asked the office accountant and it's 21.5% for any invoice generated from the 1st Dec. :rolleyes: Oh joy.

Advertisement