Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who actually voted for FF last time around

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

If ppl were interested it would be great to get a poll setup...

there is no alternative Motive on my part, its just I havent met anyone who says they voted for FF last time round in the GA, Im very curious about who might have voted them in, and why and of course

And finally was it worth it

I voted FG and Independant last time, in a effort to force a change....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

In answer to your question, builders, developers, and idiots.

So I guess you didnt vote FF :-)

Thats the easy answer, but there cant be that many ppl in Construction, enough to carry them thru an election....

but then again, it seems the budget was very fair to the construction industry, so possibly they are protecting the grass roots...

If its true, we will have FF in office for ever..

Also slightly off topic, Did Bertie show up in the Dail yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Everyones vote is private but in the circumstances sod it, I'll answer.

I voted for the Labour/FG pact, not for idealogical reasons but because I thought FF weren't managing the economy properly and government spending was not under control. Course I didn't realise just how badly FF/PDs were screwing up the economy at the time, its turned out far worse than my worst fears with the prospect of much more gloom to come

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Fg and sinn fein if you must know
    havent voted ff ever ( well in 11years i've been here)
    just like i would never vorte for the tories for what thatcher di i will now never vote FF
    only problem did you see the alternative enda didnt really want to win the last one did he ? co s they all knew what was coming down the tracks when the public finances were built on revenue from house sales ( what happens when everyone has one think about it)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I thought (and still do) that the alternatives were rather nasty, unimaginative alternatives. Pat Rabitte's a shockingly deplorable excuse of a human. Enda Kenny was evolving a (confused at best) party towards rural fears.
    In the end and on consideration I voted:
    1. Finian Magrath. I didn't(and don't)know much about his politics. However the decision was based on a collective deciding to vote their No.1's to an independent td. So a few others and I decided to give him No.1 on the blind as it were.
    2. Sean Haughey. (FF!!). Excellent local TD.
    3. R. Bruton (FG!!!!). A good guy unfortunately associated with a party of green wellied baffoons.

This was a fairly scattered vote. Oddly enough all 3 got in. 2 in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Used to vote for FF and Labour as I always thought they would be great in coalition (damn you Albert!)

Last election was the first time I did not give either my first pref. I was funny a few weeks before polling day our local FF'er (jnr min) called to the door and asked for my vote. I told him I had voted for him in the past but this time round no way (infrastucture, child care, etc). It was like the colour drained from his face and he muttered that this was what he was hearing all over. He struck me as a man very worried about his seat.

But hey presto a few days later and a decent opinion poll he was laughing again. FF two weeks before the last election were planking it but when it came to it 'we' voted them back in!!! Scratch under the surface of most people and you will find they voted for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Calling people idiots because they disagree with your political opinions is not allowed here.

nesf wrote: »
    Calling people idiots because they disagree with your political opinions is not allowed here.

I wouldnt call them Idiots myself, but in defence of the said poster, did I not see on boards earlier in the week that the word 'idiot' is an old word to describe someone with little understanding of political matters?

What I was wondering was, of course FF voters are not idiots, but they did vote for them last time, and Im just curious on what issues caused them to support FF and are they delivering....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, that poster provided a link to the Wikipedia explanation of idiot, which proved himself wrong. I think the Wikipedia explanation was that it was someone who had no professional skill or was mentally deficient, and as such couldn't be trusted to vote. So in that case, it's a hell of an insult on a politics board. :D

I didn't get to vote the last time around, but I was kind of siding with FF. I simply didn't trust any of the other parties, and none of the independents really floated my boat. If I had of voted, it would of been a case of better the devil you know, which is a very sad state of affairs. I don't know, the sooner we move into a totalitarian state run by the Boards admins, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

delop wrote: »

I voted FG and Independant last time, in a effort to force a change....

It's all about making the best decision with the choices you have. If FG had gotten into power then we would be in a far worse situation than we are now. Enda Kenny does not have what it takes to lead our country and he never will. I used to vote FG until I copped on to what type of people they are.

humanji wrote: »

I didn't get to vote the last time around, but I was kind of siding with FF. I simply didn't trust any of the other parties, and none of the independents really floated my boat. If I had of voted, it would of been a case of better the devil you know, which is a very sad state of affairs.

Well cant fault you for being honest, your thoughts probably reflect a lot of ppls feelings at the time. So I guess thats a failure in opposition for not providing one
    humanji wrote: »
    I don't know, the sooner we move into a totalitarian state run by the Boards admins, the better.

Sometimes I think it is :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

+1

I hope they are all feeling very silly after yesterday.

FX Meister wrote: »
    If FG had gotten into power then we would be in a far worse situation than we are now.

Possibly but I felt a change was needed, for change's sake. I guess I was in the minority, but thats ok too....

What keeps crossing my mind is,
    there are only 4million + ppl living in this country,
    2 million ppl paying Tax ( of which 1/8 of them seem to be Public Service)
    how hard can it be to run the place in a half arsed fashion

but before I get attacked, I will admit I have no idea what it takes to run a country and keep a reasonable amount of ppl happy for a reasonable amount of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

humberklog wrote: »
    3. R. Bruton (FG!!!!). A good guy unfortunately associated with a party of green wellied baffoons.

+1
    I've never heard anything but sense come out of his mouth but that could change considering he is in FG. I hope Enda realises the kind of asset R Bruton is.

I voted FG, Greens, Labor in order to get a change from Bertie and co's relentless bull****. Not sure hw I'll vote next time but I most certainly won't be voting FF ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As I said just after the last election it was surprising who did vote FF.
    You actually found quiet a few posters on board of this type, the young professionals and students.
    These people were not directly involved in construction but maybe accountants, lawyers, engineers etc.
    They had gone through school in the 90s and were leaving school during late 90s or early 2000s.
    They went through college or straight into work whereas others had to emmigrate or go on the dole. They were able to avail of cheap loans for property and even if it was in Gorey, they could sell in a few years for a profit and move to Dublin or wherever. They did not have to save for anything, they could have car loans, credit cards, multiple foreign holidays thanks to cheap Ryan Air flights and hell some of them bought places abroad.
    Thye did not have to watch their parents die on a trolley or die while waiting on an operation.

They had only ever really known the economic miracle of the great Cetic Tiger and had bought into the twin myths that bertie baffler was firstly responsible for the great celtic tiger and secondly that he was the best person to keep the gravey train rolling.
    The others that wanted the gravey train to continue were the builders, their families, the developers, the estate agents, the construction related retailers, and lasty the ones that were now employed in the great huge public sector.

The ones who usually voted against bertie were the old who had seen the country lose the run of itself, the ones affected by crime, the ones who watched their relatives die because of misdiagnosis or getting MRSA in the great cock of a HSE system.
    Then they were the few who dared speak about how the country was slowly moving towards an abyss becuase of inflated house prices and over resilience on construction, but of course they were labelled as whingers, moaners and politiely asked if they could go committ suicide, abit like the ones that had been allowed do so because the HSE system provides no out of hourse services or counselling to those who are on the edge.

Does that answer the OPs question ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Well I didn't but I was considering voting for them this time but when I read Sand's postings on this forum I will be giving Gerry and Sinn Fein my vote for definite :)

jmayo wrote: »

Does that answer the OPs question ?

I think its the most convincing post ive heard on this, thank you for your thoughts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I voted for FG 1,2,3 and Labour 4. 2 of them got in.(Bannon & Penrose) I'm in the wonderful public sector too so no tarring us all with the same brush please. I voted for change and will most likely do so again. I'm not mad on Enda Kenny but he has some good people on the front bench and he can't be worse then Biffo.

I wouldnt call them Idiots myself, but in defence of the said poster, did I not see on boards earlier in the week that the word 'idiot' is an old word to describe someone with little understanding of political matters

If you for a second believe that he was using it in the archaic sense of the word then I've a lovely large metal pole in the middle of O'Connell street to sell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I voted FF,but what I voted for and whose in power now are two very different things...

If you for a second believe that he was using it in the archaic sense of the word then I've a lovely large metal pole in the middle of O'Connell street to sell you.

I see wot your saying, I was just trying to stop the tread decending into the usual fight...

the pole, Im looking for an alternative to a christmass tree , would it have any lights on top? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I voted
    1:FG
    2:FG
    3:Labour
    4:FG
    5:Greens

Of the 5, 3 got elected, (1 fg, 1 labour 1 green)

I see wot your saying, I was just trying to stop the tread decending into the usual fight...

So was I. I'm as a mod telling people that they aren't allowed call party supporters from a party they strongly dislike idiots, they can think it but they shouldn't post it here. For instance I bite my tongue when it comes to opinions on supporters of Cóir.

So was I. I'm as a mod telling people that they aren't allowed call party supporters from a party they strongly dislike idiots, they can think it but they shouldn't post it here. For instance I bite my tongue when it comes to opinions on supporters of Cóir.

Point taken, sorry, didnt realise you were a mod, Ill leave the modding to the mods in future :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I voted FF and i'm a fecking idiot :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I voted Fianna Fail 1 and 2 and Fine Gael 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

JP Liz wrote: »
    I voted FF and i'm a fecking idiot :mad:

Well, somone with a bit of honesty for a change :D

Point taken, sorry, didnt realise you were a mod, Ill leave the modding to the mods in future :-)

It's no problem, I was only appointed last week so it'll take time for people to realise that I'm a moderator here now.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I tried to vote based on the candidates themselves rather than their parties (with the exception of the SP and SF candidates who automatically got sent to the back of the line) and it ended up:
    1. FG
    2. FF
    3. Green

for the top 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I voted:
    1. Greens (Gormley)
    2. Labour
    3. Independent

Glad the Greens got in initially but they're being seriously diluted by FF and the housing/waste/water/agriculture legacy they have to deal with is nearly impossible.

I wouldn't vote for FF if I were paid a €1million. I think many people voted for Bertie, not FF. Eg, a guy in my workplace had a child, wasn't given any paternity leave.We had a discussion about FF not even planning to introduce it & he went ahead and voted FF because "ah shur Bertie, blah blah". Makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fair enough, feel free to snip it.

Advertisement