Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who actually voted for FF last time around

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

staker wrote: »
    I voted FF,but what I voted for and whose in power now are two very different things...

I'm kind of with you there. I voted
    1 - FF
    2 - FF
    3 - Lab
    4 - FF
    5 - PD

and left it at that, I didn't particularly feel strongly about the last 2, but tactical voting crossed my mind in the polling booth that sunny May morning.

Idealistically, I'm a believer in single party government, the more diluted a coalition the harder to make progress, so I should have stopped at 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »
    Idealistically, I'm a believer in single party government, the more diluted a coalition the harder to make progress

Hmmmm......those damn PDs and Greens.....if only they weren't in Government then FF could have made progress, eh ??? :rolleyes:

Not that the PDs ended up as anything other than yes-men for FF, and the Greens u-turned on almost every key belief the moment they got a sniff of seats....

So while ninty9er may have a point in relation to idealistic or determined coalition partners, the lap-dogs that we've had (watchdogs my arse) have been like Andrex puppies......

To answer the OP's question, probably publicans & builders.....notice how the price of drink (a relative luxury) didn't go up in the budget, while the price of petrol (a necessity in this infrastructure-starved country of ours) did ?

Fuel for thought there, methinks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I voted labour, tommy broughton is the TD in the area he does alot of work for the community my vote was for him and not really a vote for labour or a protest vote against FF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'm not registered so don't blame me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

op, 41.6 % of the electorate. Poor people rich people and everyone in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm kind of with you there. I voted
    1 - FF
    2 - FF
    3 - Lab
    4 - FF
    5 - PD

and left it at that, I didn't particularly feel strongly about the last 2, but tactical voting crossed my mind in the polling booth that sunny May morning.

Idealistically, I'm a believer in single party government, the more diluted a coalition the harder to make progress, so I should have stopped at 2

Yeah I can see how you would want to make progress like the great 1977 landslide majority government which drove the country into a hole in the 80s by removing rates, motor tax etc :rolleyes:

Some of us remember those days and will never allow FF to royally f*** us up again.
    Ah sure what am I saying they have done it again only this time they started from greater position of strength :rolleyes:
    And they did this time with those wonderful watchdogs (I like the Andrex image) who really are dyed in the wool ffers.

99er even though I totally abhort what your party stands for I will give you one thing, you do have the balls to continue to come out and state your colours.
    There are a good few FF supporters that were on here last year braying how great an economy they had created and they are now nowhere to be seen.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

FX Meister wrote: »
    It's all about making the best decision with the choices you have. If FG had gotten into power then we would be in a far worse situation than we are now. Enda Kenny does not have what it takes to lead our country and he never will. I used to vote FG until I copped on to what type of people they are.

what type of people are FG

irish_bob wrote: »
    what type of people are FG

Well for a start they haven't had half as many of their elected members behind bars or being found guilty of something in a court of law or tribunal (perjury I believe was one, not bothering paying tax, offshore bank accounts, using state money for own property - i.e. theft, drink driving down wrong side of motorway).
    I guess FX Meister doesn't like the non cute hoor type of politicans.
    Moderators and posting rules fordbid me from being more descriptive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

only because fg havn't been in power for half the time ff have.

hive half a chance fg would be as corrupt as ff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

1. Labour (this was before I joined FG)
    2. FG
    3. Green (really regret that now and it will not happen again any time soon)
    4. FG
    5. Labour
    6. FG

The top 3 were the ones who I saw making a difference (number 3 certainly did, but not the difference I intended), the rest were tactical voting.

As for those who voted for FF, I believe they were people who thought they stood to benefit from the party being in power (builders etc.), people who genuinely believed that FF were the party best capable of handling the economy, people who voted for the "Bertie factor," people who voted against the "Enda factor," people whose parents supported FF, and people who thought their local FF TD was doing a great job for the community. Just what I've picked up from talking to any FF voters I know.
    I'd dispute that. Of course individual members might be corrupt, but the party wouldn't tolerate it. Lowry, for example, was kicked out and not allowed back, and now supports FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

only because fg havcn't been in power for half the time ff have.

True. Look at Labour in England. Tony's famous statement about probity in public office upon election in '97 sounded very hollow after a few years. If any party is in power long enough they tend to start abusing their power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

Voted FF in the last election and will do so in the next as we have a great local TD in Pat Carey who does a lot for the area. My vote was more so based on the TD and what he does for the area rather than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

i voted for everybody else with the exception of sinn fein and PDs

jmayo wrote: »
    Well for a start they haven't had half as many of their elected members behind bars or being found guilty of something in a court of law or tribunal (perjury I believe was one, not bothering paying tax, offshore bank accounts, using state money for own property - i.e. theft, drink driving down wrong side of motorway).
    I guess FX Meister doesn't like the non cute hoor type of politicans.
    Moderators and posting rules fordbid me from being more descriptive ;)

my question was what kind of people they are , youve told me what kind of people they are not

Voted FF in the last election and will do so in the next as we have a great local TD in Pat Carey who does a lot for the area. My vote was more so based on the TD and what he does for the area rather than anything else.

spoken like a true fianna fail,r

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

spoken like a true fianna fail,r

Ah in fairness many people for the TD than for that TD's background whose preferred TD is FG/Labour/etc. I know that who the TDs were influenced my vote as much as their party did. A TD whose personal statements I don't agree with or find of trivial importance is not going to get my vote regardless of what party they're attached to.

only because fg havn't been in power for half the time ff have.

So they are guilty because they may do something ?
    How do you know, have you got some sort of minority report thingie going :rolleyes:

Ah yes never to see the bigger picture.
    So Pat Carey did a few things and I will vote for him even though he turns a blind eye to the fact a few senior party members have very suspect financial dealings, including the man he votes to be the country's taoiseach.
    I actually remember FF politicans who had principles but I guess most of them left or were driven out ala Desie O'Malley. Sadly his sucessors sold out ala Harney.
    my question was what kind of people they are , youve told me what kind of people they are not

I would say FG have at least principles and ethics. They tend to try and stand for something, I can remember back to the days when Garrett tried to bring in social change. All Charlie was doing was trying to sit on the fence or play up to the church and trying to make sure he got elected the next time.
    Ever since those days I believe the rot has continued in that party.
    The same ethos carried through and we have had tribunals to prove it.
    The only thing bertie ever did was try and make sure he got elected the next time. He never really stood for anything. The governments run by him never did anything that will have a long long term benefit bar the Good Friday agreement. Even then there are still huge divides in the North that are not healing at all and there is still the hatred under the surface.

Personally honesty and principles would be something I would want in a politican rather than some lovable rogue that will sell me out in order to further the cause of himself and his buddies.

Some of them may be considered boring even in the case of their leader.
    I guess the question is would you rather somebody boring and honest or someone that was a charming rogue but a cute hoor primarily looking after his friends while running the country and spending your taxes ?
    First there was Charlie, temporaily followed by Albert who was replaced by Bertie, the most cunning of them all as labelled by Charlie.

FG has had some bad apples but see how the likes of Lowry was kicked out.
    What did it take to finally remove Burke and Lawlor. Both men actually ended up in jail.
    Speaking of jailbirds is Mr Fahy in Galway in or out of the FF party ?
    Not sure if the likes of P Flynn, Denis Foley or Collins ever left.
    Hell flynn jnr was brought back in :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

IMO, voting on party is more important as they are national elections and national policy is important. Very often most TD's will be helpful to anyone who goes to a clinic.

jmayo wrote: »
    So they are guilty because they may do something ?
    How do you know, have you got some sort of minority report thingie going :rolleyes:

Ah yes never to see the bigger picture.
    So Pat Carey did a few things and I will vote for him even though he turns a blind eye to the fact a few senior party members have very suspect financial dealings, including the man he votes to be the country's taoiseach.
    I actually remember FF politicans who had principles but I guess most of them left or were driven out ala Desie O'Malley. Sadly his sucessors sold out ala Harney.

I would say FG have at least principles and ethics. They tend to try and stand for something, I can remember back to the days when Garrett tried to bring in social change. All Charlie was doing was trying to sit on the fence or play up to the church and trying to make sure he got elected the next time.
    Ever since those days I believe the rot has continued in that party.
    The same ethos carried through and we have had tribunals to prove it.
    The only thing bertie ever did was try and make sure he got elected the next time. He never really stood for anything. The governments run by him never did anything that will have a long long term benefit bar the Good Friday agreement. Even then there are still huge divides in the North that are not healing at all and there is still the hatred under the surface.

Personally honesty and principles would be something I would want in a politican rather than some lovable rogue that will sell me out in order to further the cause of himself and his buddies.

Some of them may be considered boring even in the case of their leader.
    I guess the question is would you rather somebody boring and honest or someone that was a charming rogue but a cute hoor primarily looking after his friends while running the country and spending your taxes ?
    First there was Charlie, temporaily followed by Albert who was replaced by Bertie, the most cunning of them all as labelled by Charlie.

FG has had some bad apples but see how the likes of Lowry was kicked out.
    What did it take to finally remove Burke and Lawlor. Both men actually ended up in jail.
    Speaking of jailbirds is Mr Fahy in Galway in or out of the FF party ?
    Not sure if the likes of P Flynn, Denis Foley or Collins ever left.
    Hell flynn jnr was brought back in :rolleyes:

my problem with FG is thier is almost no talent in the party right now , this country is crying out for a new party , then again i suspect even we got one , FF and their populism would still triumph , us irish are a short sighted whats in it for me bunch for the most part , the medical cards hysteria this past few days has convinced me of this

Advertisement