Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who's ordering a New car for 2009 Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

pburns wrote: »
    I have a diesel Legacy and was disappointed by this at first. However the engine loosens up A LOT with a bit of mileage. My own is loosening up nicely at about 5500kms. I've driven one with 9000kms and it's even better so don't be too quick to judge.

245, another owner on this board has had a similar experience.

190bhp version of the next-gen Legacy (mid 09 AFAIK) should be an awesome car - as long as Subaru don't screw up the styling...

........... like they did with the impreza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

TheDriver wrote: »
    Going to buy a pro_ceed ex diesel, depending on price for my own and all things considered. Will get down to ordering in coming 2 weeks!

Why order, they must have a surplus of these in the current market, walk into the showrooms in January and bag yourself a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Any details on "buying repo"?

Merlin auctions often have repossessed cars for sale alongside ex state stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I have a diesel Legacy and was disappointed by this at first. However the engine loosens up A LOT with a bit of mileage. My own is loosening up nicely at about 5500kms. I've driven one with 9000kms and it's even better so don't be too quick to judge.

190bhp version of the next-gen Legacy (mid 09 AFAIK) should be an awesome car - as long as Subaru don't screw up the styling...

Very interesting. Must try and get a spin in a demo with a few more miles on it. One i drove only had a few klms on it. Would wait for the next gen one at this stage. Have seen a few shots of it on the web and it looks quite well much more conservative make over than the pig ugly impreza. Any word of an auto on the next gen model? Now that would tick all the boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

furtzy wrote: »
    It wasn't quiet not by a long shot. Was very loud at idle even after it had warmed up. Had a long drive in it and its definitely missing the extra gear. Have you driven it yourself? I had my heart set on one and was very disappointed. Drive a Vectra Sri CDTi 150 (loadsa letters!) and found my own engine way better. As I said apparently there is a 190 bhp coming out with the new 2010 Legacy. I agree with your that most leather out there isn't great but the Legacys was really bad especially in the back.

I'm surprised, haven't driven it yet, but hopefully soon, as I'm curious to see what it's like. I'm going by Autocar's review on it at the moment, and I usually find them to be fairly on the ball with these things.
    I know that Vectra engine too. It was quiet and refined in it's day, but it's a little older now, Fiat are updating it soon I think.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    I'm surprised, haven't driven it yet, but hopefully soon, as I'm curious to see what it's like. I'm going by Autocar's review on it at the moment, and I usually find them to be fairly on the ball with these things.
    I know that Vectra engine too. It was quiet and refined in it's day, but it's a little older now, Fiat are updating it soon I think.

pburns says it gets better with a few miles on it. I'm sure subaru will improve on it with the 190 version as they certainly know their engineering.
    With the market the way it is I'll be holding on to the Vectra.
    There is a twin-turbo 180 version of the Fiat engine which is a cracker. Its available in the Saab 9-3. Pity GM fell out with them and now use their own diesels which aren't a patch on the Fiat unit. Drove it in the Antara and it wasn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

What about trade in values?. I know its all about cost to change, but you don't want the piss taken on the value of your trade in.

I was in the hunt late Sept, was told they wouldn't name a trade in price until end Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Fingers crossed it should have been mentioned yesterday and not in todays carbon budget.

Just got a quote from insurance company of only an extra €95 on top of current policy i.e about €570. It pays to be over 30 i guess(but not by much ;)).

I'd price around a bit more mate, I'm paying €420 for a BMW 330Ci which has 231bhp, think its with Royal and Sun Alliance, might be worth a call

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Am considering a new motor in 09 but to be honest my heads wreck as regards what to get. I'd be looking at value for money,low running costs and high mpg. Also going to hang on a little into 09 and see what garages knock out a half decent deal, gimme something free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Why order, they must have a surplus of these in the current market, walk into the showrooms in January and bag yourself a bargain.

+1 - hanging back a bit into the new year will see anyone get a lot more bang for their buck - mid Feb onwards i'd say......the car sales party is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jaybee747 wrote: »
    Am considering a new motor in 09 but to be honest my heads wreck as regards what to get. I'd be looking at value for money,low running costs and high mpg. Also going to hang on a little into 09 and see what garages knock out a half decent deal, gimme something free!!

This kind of criteria will not allow you to get a bargain- post some details like budget and useage and I'm sure you'll see some real value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Mine has 9700 km on it and is definitely getting faster and more flexible - the gearbox is also quite notchy when new but frees up nicely apart from reverse which I don't often use so maybe time will take care of that. I agree that there are other diesels that are quieter at idle but thats just one aspect of the engine. It spins very smoothly up to 5000 rpm with a wide power band - it also sounds great under full bore acceleration - being a boxer diesel it has a unique sound. According to Honest John its got lower interior noise levels than a Rolls Royce Phantom - its very quiet at motorway speeds - its geared to run at around 30.3 mph per 1000 rpm (again according to Honest John) so that suggests that it'll spin at 2,300 rpm at 120 km/h - I've never remembered to check. Overall I think that its a great car, and decent value too.

I think that you either 'get' Subarus or you don't - people look for different things in cars so if you didn't like it then maybe its not your kind of car. I've driven/owned a wide mix of cars and am happy to say that this is the most 'complete' car that I've ever had. That's not to say that its perfect, but it keeps me very happy and I suspect that it'll be hard to replace when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Hammertime wrote: »
    I'd price around a bit more mate, I'm paying €420 for a BMW 330Ci which has 231bhp, think its with Royal and Sun Alliance, might be worth a call

Thats who I'm with and have tried others but they are far the best for me.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Just wondering is anyone ordering a new car for Jan delivery.

To get the ball rolling I'm ordering the facelifted A6 either later today or tomorrow morning as long as VRT is not changed in the carbon budget.

Its the 170bhp diesel with Xenon headlights, folding rear seats, front and rear parking sensors and Audi audio interface.:cool:

Are you getting leather seats, it amazes me the amount of A6's for sale without leather seats.

Under powered maybe to you but every car i have bought has seen a power increase over the last including this one.

Yes alloys have been improved but didn't trump for the leather.

No leather :eek:

DonJose wrote: »
    No leather :eek:

Exactly. Would have thought the absense of leather in an executive model like the A6 would seriously affect the desirability of the model at trade-in or resale. Wouldn't even look at an A6 without leather

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I hate leather. It *looks* nice in the showroom but as soon as you start using the car, it cracks, it wears away, it makes your clothes shiny, it's fragile to certain buttoned clothes, it has no ventilation if standard-spec leather and makes you overheat. Also, it's too cold in cold weather and far too hot in hot weather.

I for one, and I know of many others, purposely do *not* buy leather.

I really don't get it - it's another one of those things that got going here during the boom time. I remember only say 15 years ago it was still very rare to have leather in cars, even in 5-series/e-class etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I hate leather.

+1

And I hope to get a new exeo later in the year.
    (depending on the test drive)

Knock down, better looking Audi, W00T

superjosh9 wrote: »
    I hate leather. It *looks* nice in the showroom but as soon as you start using the car, it cracks, it wears away, it makes your clothes shiny, it's fragile to certain buttoned clothes, it has no ventilation if standard-spec leather and makes you overheat. Also, it's too cold in cold weather and far too hot in hot weather.

I for one, and I know of many others, purposely do *not* buy leather.

I really don't get it - it's another one of those things that got going here during the boom time. I remember only say 15 years ago it was still very rare to have leather in cars, even in 5-series/e-class etc.

I bought 08 Ford Galaxy with leather seats and I love them, once its a quality leather its very easy to maintain. When the kids spill something, a simple wipe and the stain is gone. In winter when its cold I put the heater on, in summer when its "hit" I put the AC on. My leather seats have perforations so it breathes, I actually find them more body heat friendly than cloth seats which make you sweat in hot weather.

No leather for me.

Its a €3000 extra that would blow the budget.

I have leather on my S40 and I don't like it after 3 and a half years use its starting to look shiny it shows up every little mark and yes you have to be carefull with what clothes you and everyone wheres so you don't rip the leather surface.

Its far to hot after its been sitting in the sun and too cold in winter months, I do have heated seats but it takes a few minutes to warm up.

But to get heated seats and climate seats its far too much money in the A6.

So I will live with the cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Me Da has the cream Leather on his A6. It shows up marks because of the colour but its pretty hard wearing and cleans up perfect and thats after 60k. The seats are really comfy too. The only problem with the leather on Audi's is that it wears through on the steering wheel and on the gearnob which is a pain. The Da had to have the wheel replaced under warranty and then put a cover over it.

I too wouldn't buy one without leather but thats just me.

Also make sure you get the bluetooth phone prep, expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

What about trade in values?. I know its all about cost to change, but you don't want the piss taken on the value of your trade in.

I was in the hunt late Sept, was told they wouldn't name a trade in price until end Oct.

For me this is the real problem. How many people will be in the position of walking in and buying a car as a cash deal? I paid 35K for my car in October (2007) and the best trade i was offered was 22K :mad: so suffice it to say i wont be changing in a hurry even though i would like to (as i have done almost every year over recent times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I have leather for the last year and would seriously think about going back. Very easy to keep clean all it needs is a wipe down and I think once its kept in good condition it looks the business. It does require care it needs to be conditioned a couple of times a year for it to keep supple and to stop cracking and wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

No leather for me.

Its a €3000 extra that would blow the budget.

Whether you like leather or not, if your budget makes you make the choice between leather and the 170BHP engine, I reckon you've made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

I am thinking of going for the above.
    Test drove one today. a cracking car and a 5 year warranty with a 2 year engine and gearbox. 7 YEARS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What exactly does the 7 years cover? It is a cracking car and my first impression was of a european car as opposed to obvious Asian plastic etc. Lovely to drive and great to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

I had a good test drive and I spoke to the service department about the warranty (YOU CAN NEVER TRUST A SALES MAN)
    What they told me was all components (not wear and tear) are covered for the first five years and the last two years the engine and gearbox are covered.
    At present the dealer I was at is offering half price servicing for the full seven years. That was just servicing, brakes and extras are at normal price.

My next door neighbour has the Picanto and loves it wants to upgrade to the pro ceed.

She loves the warranty. If it saves you money and gives you piece of mind go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

furtzy wrote: »
    Exactly. Would have thought the absense of leather in an executive model like the A6 would seriously affect the desirability of the model at trade-in or resale. Wouldn't even look at an A6 without leather

Kinda weird how in the 60's and 70's leather (or leatherette, or MBtex) was for the lower spec cars, and the higher spec ones got cloth seats!

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    Whether you like leather or not, if your budget makes you make the choice between leather and the 170BHP engine, I reckon you've made the right choice.

Was a simple choice really.

Ok i take the car back with no leather seats dealer looks at me and says thats a minus there mate.

OR

I take the car back with leather seats and i have large scratches on the seats from where the missus's belt fancy clobber has scratched the seat or a friend did same or if and when i have kids they rip it with there nails etc.

Advertisement