Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Lenihan (Min. for Finance) is visiting UCD.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 leopraces

did you hear about the counter blockade that has been arranged. All im legally allowed to say is... Grass Skirts, Eggs, rocks, slingshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

33% God wrote: »
    I didn't say I wanted to ban all private educational institutions.
    I didn't say you did either. I thanked you and then qualified my thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It was in response to anonymous_joe

Well what I'd said was somewhat tongue in cheek.

What a lot of people don't realise is that private schools are still state run schools. The private stuff tends to relate to extra-curricular, and they do tend to have better facilities. I know that that's not fair, but parents will always do the best they can for their children, that's human nature, and if they have the ability to spend money to improve their kids chances, most would. That's why such a huge percentage of Irish secondary school kids get grinds etc.

As regards protests in UCD, I'll admit I have a chip in my shoulder after seeing one a couple of years ago, and asking a protester what it was about only to be told by a group of people they weren't sure, but were along for the laugh.

Commerce student bit showing, but the economy's currently absolutely fúcked. Now I'm pretty damn far from an FF supporter, but it's not the governements fault. They're currently facing a massive shortfall, and are raising taxes, rather than rely on banks and borrowing, mainly because those look risky. If anyone resents this approach, I can certainly understand, but would suggest looking at Iceland for a reason not to avail of that approach.

I personally expect them to start mentioning potentially means testing fees or something like that in the near-ish future.

Commerce student bit showing, but the economy's currently absolutely fúcked. Now I'm pretty damn far from an FF supporter, but it's not the governements fault.
    Then explain, please, why Ireland is in recession while other EU countries are merely suffering from slower growth rates. Nothing to do with the unsustainable property bubble Richard Bruton has been warning about for the last half decade? Nothing to do with the fact that we have no infrastructure worth talking about and are therefore uncompetitive? Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the banks were allowed to hand out 100% mortgages, amongst other practices, while the Government-appointed Financial Regulator looked on?

There is a global financial crisis, but it did not cause our recession. It merely compounded the problems the FF government created. I'm not a Commerce student, but I've spoken to some, and listened to several independent economists over the last while, not to mention Richard Bruton, and pretty much all of them agree on this. Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan, both solicitors, don't.

Breezer wrote: »
    Then explain, please, why Ireland is in recession while other EU countries are merely suffering from slower growth rates. Nothing to do with the unsustainable property bubble Richard Bruton has been warning about for the last half decade? Nothing to do with the fact that we have no infrastructure worth talking about and are therefore uncompetitive? Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the banks were allowed to hand out 100% mortgages, amongst other practices, while the Government-appointed Financial Regulator looked on?

There is a global financial crisis, but it did not cause our recession. It merely compounded the problems the FF government created. I'm not a Commerce student, but I've spoken to some, and listened to several independent economists over the last while, not to mention Richard Bruton, and pretty much all of them agree on this. Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan, both solicitors, don't.

Our small economy was somewhat artifically pumped up by a property boom which also made banks somewhat overly confident.

We've heavier links to the US than a lot of European countries, which has a knock on effect.

There's no doubting there's been financial mismanagement by the current government, but it isn't the cause of these problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

I personally expect them to start mentioning potentially means testing fees or something like that in the near-ish future.
    O'Keefe has mentioned a combined income of €120,000 as the threshold. This would bring in roughly €35 million depending on how much was charged for tuition. Individuals can then claim 40% back (at the moment anyway). In a third-level education budget of €1.9 billion - this is not going to make any difference.

Recognising this, the heads of Irish universities have advocated the Australian loan scheme which has left the Australian state $15 billion in student debt!

mad lad wrote: »
    O'Keefe has mentioned a combined income of €120,000 as the threshold. This would bring in roughly €35 million depending on how much was charged for tuition.
    Only a few weeks ago he was talking about €530 million. This was then revised to €130 million. While I haven't heard this latest figure, the man clearly has no idea what he's doing. Couple this with the talk of not dropping the over 70's medical card after all (whatever your opinions on the matter, this is supposed to be a fully costed budget, you can't go chopping and changing things) and it's quite clear no one in charge has a clue what they're at.

Anyway, back on topic (largely my fault that it drifted this far, sorry! :o), what's the latest on the Lenihan-heckling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

These guys really don't have a clue, and their tactics are a bad reflection of UCD and aren't representative of its student population as a whole.
    Those involved with FEE are from a complete cross section of UCD life, ranging from 1st years to final years, from Med students to ag students. I would say it has a decent representation of UCD students.
    The real problem is that that's just a piss poor poster.

I think the poster is very cleverly designed. God, its refershing to have an original and individual poster for once around UCD. It makes a nice change from the tits and arse that is usually used to sell us events . Finally, we have a piece of talented art work that doesnt have to sell us sex on a plate to get our attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

33% God wrote: »
    He's going to stop me from coming to UCD, I'm going to stop him from doing the same.

But mommy, he started it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

panda100 wrote: »
    It makes a nice change from the tits and arse that is usually used to sell us events . Finally, we have a piece of talented art work that doesnt have to sell us sex on a plate to get our attention.

I dont think thats ever the case for trying to 'sell' events concerning politicians

Its not necessary with studs like this:;)

Odea.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

out of interest were any of the pro-blockade posters on here any of the three people that were arrested yesterday?

Well Gubbie wasn't arrested because she managed to come online and call everyone who disagreed a right wing wanker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Well Gubbie wasn't arrested because she managed to come online and call everyone who disagreed a right wing wanker. :pac:

I believe there was no "a"

Some of the newer models of prison mobile phones have the internet you know :pac:

Advertisement