Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ive been totally shafted by Dealer- what can i do?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,

Traded my car in for a different car at a dealers (I assume I can't mention names) a few months ago and have had nothing but problems since.

I have brought it back to them for the same problem no fewer than 6 times and it is still not fixed. They keep telling me that they are not seeing a problem. They tell me that they have had diagnostics run and see nothing wrong. I have DVD footage of the problem occuring time and again. I have shown them this footage. They still take it in, do nothing, and hand it back to me a few days later.

When I asked for a refund I was told "It's your car sir!". Which was nice.

I brought it in again 2 weeks ago because it was burning oil. They said they would look at it. They took it for a few days and then handed it back. I asked to talk to the mechanic. He knew nothing about the oil problem because they hadn't told him.

They took it for an NCT last week- it passed for emissions. The oil level was fine just after the NCT (6 days ago). I have had to add 2L of oil today.

Is there anything I can do??

I know of SIMI, but they have been pretty unhelpful.

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Get your solicitor involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

List details of the problems you have been encountering and the type of car, that gives people here more info to go on.

Also you seem to be very clear of your communication with your dealer, make sure to record (Date, Time, who you have talked to, outcomes etc) all communication with the dealer. That leaves you in a stronger position to go to an SIMI appeal process or to a solicitor. Also you could contact consumer affairs for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Kingmaker

OK Car is 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX, petrol.

Problem 1- puncture within 4 miles of garage forecourt (these things can happen)
    Problem 2- engine spluttering (injector coil is replaced)
    Problem 3- engine cuts out (within 8 days of purchase) and will not start again. Injector coil is replaced.
    Problem 4- engine splutters and needs several attempts to kick in when warm- a lot of cut outs (I am not a learner driver etc) Diagnostics are run- new ssettings are loaded to on board computer
    Problem 5- engine still spluttering and cutting out- Diagnostics are run- no problem is found
    Problem 6- engine still spluttering and cutting out- fuel pump is changed out
    Problem 7- car is burning oil at a rate of 2L per 600 miles- put through NCT and passed.

The solutions and actions taken are what they have told me they have done.
    They were unwilling and unable to produce print-outs or records of diagnostics. The fuel pump was not changed out either (I checked the serial number pretty early on).
    Ford garage had no record of running these diagnostics

These people are total cowboys- it's a pity I can't name and shame them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id say you can name them. You are only detailing your experience with them.
    The spluttering is obviously the same problem just not being fixed properly. The oil useage is over the generally accepted level of 1L per 1000 miles although even that level of oil useage is way too much in my book. Get a report done on it and take it to solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

My pops had the same issue with the same type of car from <snip>. Assholes to deal with. They are pure scumbags.

Modedit: you've been around long enough to know not to do put in libelous remarks like that. That's a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Discusing this topic or even naming them at this stage on a public forum will not do you case against them any good.

Speak with the National Consumer Agency for advice on what your rights are:

http://www.nca.ie/eng/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Problem # 1 is not a problem so it should not be listed.
    Is this a Ford main dealer? If not then I would be reluctant to let them mess around with the ECU software settings.
    As for the 'serial number' on the fuel pump - are you mistaking a part number for unique serial number?
    Were they ignition coils that were replaced?

What's your coolant like? Any signs of oil in it? Are there any traces oil oil leaks under the engine? Does the car smoke much?
    Could the stuttering be caused by something as simple as a vacuum leak?
    mickdw wrote: »
    Id say you can name them. You are only detailing your experience with them.
    Don't mention them OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't mention them OP!

General comment: it's only libelous if it's not true.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

galwaytt wrote: »
    General comment: it's only libelous if it's not true.
    rubbish

1) the OP may hurt his possible legal case by discussing it prior to legal action
    2) the opposing party may gleam information for their defence from a public discussion

3) lastly and most importantly: It's boards that would be sued for libel (were that to happen) not the OP. boards doesn't want nor need legal cases ...hence DO NOT "NAME AND SHAME"

also ..do not goad others into "naming and shaming"

Are we all clear on that now?

Ende der Durchsage

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are right but as we have no idea as to whether or not this all happened, we do have to err on the side of caution!
    Anyway, back on topic...

• Advertisement
Advertisement