Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machu Picchu Trek. Advise on travel !!!!

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm planning traveling to Machu Picchu and doing the 4 day trek, next year between the July 20th and August 7th.

Was just wondering about how much this would cost and who you would recommend booking with. Also if you have any tips please fell free to share.

If any one else is going around this time PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

We went last Christmas and booked through Llama Path - I've only good things to say about them, we had a fantastic few days. Great guide, excellent food and a lovely atmosphere. I'd highly recommend them. They seemed to kit their porters out well compared to some of the other groups I saw.

I'd really urge you to bring walking sticks or poles with you. They were a lifesaver. You can rent the high tech ones from outdoor shops in Cusco for a few quid (lighter and foldable), or you can buy cheap wooden ones. Either way, bring two of them, because your knees will thank you for it on day 3!!! If its raining in particular, it can save you from a nasty slip, the rocks can be trecherous!

Anyway, have a great time!! Any other questions, just ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Glowing wrote: »
    We went last Christmas and booked through Llama Path - I've only good things to say about them, we had a fantastic few days. Great guide, excellent food and a lovely atmosphere. I'd highly recommend them. They seemed to kit their porters out well compared to some of the other groups I saw.

I'd really urge you to bring walking sticks or poles with you. They were a lifesaver. You can rent the high tech ones from outdoor shops in Cusco for a few quid (lighter and foldable), or you can buy cheap wooden ones. Either way, bring two of them, because your knees will thank you for it on day 3!!! If its raining in particular, it can save you from a nasty slip, the rocks can be trecherous!

Anyway, have a great time!! Any other questions, just ask :)

Will be in peru myself at some stage next year. How much did it cost you for the few days? How difficult a trek is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I think we paid $300 or $350 ish, can't really remember. It's the going rate for the more reputable companies, and it was worth every penny. In particular you need to be careful with the quality of the food they provide, you don't want to get ill on the side of a mountain! I was shocked when we arrived at our first lunch stop to find a dining tent, 12 bowls of hot water, 12 bars of soap and 12 towels, a 3 course hot lunch followed by tea. It's amazing what they can put together on the side of a mountain!!

You could probably get a guided tour for less than that, but then again, you get what you pay for w.r.t food, equipment, and what the porters are kitted out in.

I'm female and would consider myself reasonably active, having said that, I've never walked that distance before, and while it was definitely NOT easy, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. You kindof forget your aching knees and legs, because you're having such a laugh. I was so worried before setting off that I wouldn't be able to handle it, but I didn't even consider the fun I'd have in the process. The worst day is the second day, it's pretty much uphill the entire time, and the altitude makes everything 10 times harder. There's no rush though, you set off shortly after sunrise so you've all day. One of the guys in our group was 60, and while he was S..L..O..W, he made it in the end - it's not a race :)

Damn you, I'm jealous now!!! I'll show you my pics if you want to PM me.

Advertisement