Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Dublin that serve Beamish and/or Murphys

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

If this thread has been done already, then apologies, I searched to no avail.

As a man who was forced to move from the schticks to the glitz and glamour that is Dublin (hah!), I hate to admit that my exposure to the Dublin pub scene has been, well to be quite honest limited. As a result, I've been unable to find a pub in Dublin that serves either Beamish (which I know you can get here, but can't find) or Murphys (this one might be a bit trickier) on draught.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good city centre pubs that serve either of the above?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

O'Neills serve all four (including O'Hara's and Guinness).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Failed Salesman

O'Haras :eek: I thought I was asking too much by asking for Murphys.

You sir, have made my day. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

This is how I know.

If O'Hara's floats your boat there's a list of pubs that stock Irish craft beer on that site. Any corrections are, of course, very welcome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Palace in Fleet Street serves both Beamish and Murphy's (as well as Galway Hooker and Temple Bräu). You'll also find Murphy's in Thomas Read on Dame Street and any branch of CaféBarDeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

why is the blackstuff so dear in ireland ?as it is all made now in ireland and imported to the uk and the uk beer tax is higher-in my local club {not far from blackpool ]it costs me £2 per pint==2.40eu in ireland i am told the cheepest is about 5eu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Devitts on Camden Street does Beamish, cheap it is too :) getz, Beamish in Dublin is around e3.80 in most pubs that serve it. Guinness is about e4.50

getz wrote: »
    as it is all made now in ireland and imported to the uk and the uk beer tax is higher-in my local club {not far from blackpool ]it costs me £2 per pint==2.40eu in ireland i am told the cheepest is about 5eu

Nah, you can get a pint for under €4 if you know where to look.

Why is it so expensive compared to the UK? Lack of competition in pubs is a big one: every time Diageo or the Revenue raise the cost of a pint the pubs will always add a little bit on for themselves, just because they can. The euro changeover was another massive and shameless gouge, where the licensed trade en masse refused to sign up to the national fair exchange rate programme. Ireland also has higher excise duty on beer than the UK, plus pub overheads -- buying a licence, insurance, staff costs -- are pretty much all higher here than in the UK.

It's got nothing to do with where it's made, really. After all, most of your pint is going to be from the UK since I'm guessing they ship it over in concentrated form and dilute it to pub strength closer to the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Beamish and Murphys will be alot more avalible over the coming months, Diego are burning bridges at the moment with pubs.

Elem wrote: »
    Beamish and Murphys will be alot more avalible over the coming months, Diego are burning bridges at the moment with pubs.
    Sadly they're their bridges to burn. I very much doubt there are many pubs around brave enough to take the Guinness tap off, though I hope I'm wrong. Since Beamish and Murphy's will shortly be arriving on the same truck, I'm hoping we'll see more of the latter -- though O'Hara's would be better: Irish-owned beer FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Currently they are offering cheaper kegs, and a massive rebate. Which most bars in the city center of Dublin would take because of the massive loss they are making at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Mulligan's on Poolbeg St do draught Beamish but it's over 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

If you go to the following website:

http://www.pintofplain.com

It shows some pubs in Dublin.

I hopw this helps.

Peter

None of the 33 drinks it lists are Beamish or Murphy's, though. Pints of Diageo plain only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If your in Ballsbridge, there is a pub which i forget the name but i'll tell you where it is exactly if your desperately thirsty for Beamish :)
    It's the last pub on left hand side in a string of pubs before the bridge at the river as you head south from town, hope that helps :)

Cheers for this lads, looking forward to see how you dubs pour Corks finest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Beamish?
    Also known as a pint of social welfare!

Sure only down and outs and students drink it :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

micmclo wrote: »
    Beamish?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

mayordenis wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

For a mod that's not much of a post
    So :rolleyes: right back at you

looking forward to see how you dubs pour Corks finest :)
    Why, in a metrosexual stemmed pint glass, of course.

Though I think you'll find, speaking officially, that Cork's (and indeed Ireland's) finest is not Murphy's but Purgatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

micmclo, mayordenis.

Behave.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Though I think you'll find, speaking officially, that Cork's (and indeed Ireland's) finest is not Murphy's but Purgatory.

I never was the biggest pale ale fan I'm afraid. No matter how much I want to like it (a friend of mine has been trying to get me to drink Galway Hooker for a while now) it just doesn't agree with me.

I guess pale ale is just one part of my beer education that I fail big time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

gurramok wrote: »
    If your in Ballsbridge, there is a pub which i forget the name but i'll tell you where it is exactly if your desperately thirsty for Beamish :)
    It's the last pub on left hand side in a string of pubs before the bridge at the river as you head south from town, hope that helps :)
    Is it called The Horse Show Inn or something like that? The name is something to do with the RDS anyway.

IPA's are great! Was drinking in a few places along the west coast of USA and most had an IPA and a few unusual beers. Considering USA is generally laughed at for it's beers, it was FAR better than the usual irish selection! IPA's everywhere, most places had 2!

Quint wrote: »
    Considering USA is generally laughed at for it's beers
    Only by people who don't know much about American beers beyond Budweiser-Miller-Coors and their nasty Irish-brewed incarnations.

Flame-proof suit, please. Medium. And an asbestos hat, if you have it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only by people who don't know much about American beers beyond Budweiser-Miller-Coors and their nasty Irish-brewed incarnations.

Flame-proof suit, please. Medium. And an asbestos hat, if you have it...

Completely agree with you there. I got this and it was the best "travel" book I ever got!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

beamish is crap....but if u want it the Submarine Bar in Walkinstown do pints for €3.40......guinness is €4.....

flyton5 wrote: »
    beamish is crap....but if u want it the Submarine Bar in Walkinstown do pints for €3.40......guinness is €4.....
    To possibly save yourself 60c a pint, get a half of each and do a blind tasting. I certainly can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

the Duke has beamish too.

Likewise The Waterloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

micmclo wrote: »
    Beamish?

See that IS the reputation it has got with many people. I often think if beamish simply charged the same as guinness or just 5cent lower they would increase sales hugely. Whenever I have it I nearly always get some mate saying "what are you drinking that crap for, why don't you drink the real guinness" or branding you tight/cheapskate.

I think many are put off ordering it for fear of being seen as tight/cheap. I am amazed at the amount of seasoned guinness drinkers who have NEVER had a pint of beamish (or murphys), or maybe just one once. Yet they will have tried all sorts of lagers. Seems bizarre to me this loyalty people have to drink, it would be like never have having a 1/4pounder, only big macs, or only mars and never snickers. When I head out I often drink different pints throughout the night, just like if I went to a restaraunt I would not always get the exact same thing, for starter, main & desert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    . I am amazed at the amount of seasoned guinness drinkers who have NEVER had a pint of beamish (or murphys), or maybe just one once. Yet they will have tried all sorts of lagers. Seems bizarre to me this loyalty people have to drink, it would be like never have having a 1/4pounder, only big macs, or only mars and never snickers. When I head out I often drink different pints throughout the night, just like if I went to a restaraunt I would not always get the exact same thing, for starter, main & desert.

For a lot of people Guinness is stout, every thing else is just trying to copy it, but the truth is that is just one member (dry stout) in a large family, a very large one but still just one

Advertisement