Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full Wheel Geometery on a CAr

Options
  • 15-10-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Lads, changed the Subframe bushes on my car at weekend, just wondering, there reccomending a full wheel geometery to be done on the car. not just lazer allignment. Anyone know of anyone in the west that might be able to do this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

tred wrote: »
    Lads, changed the Subframe bushes on my car at weekend, just wondering, there reccomending a full wheel geometery to be done on the car. not just lazer allignment. Anyone know of anyone in the west that might be able to do this.

What kind of car is it? Unless it's like a Mondeo or something you shouldn't need to do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What kind of car is it? Unless it's like a Mondeo or something you shouldn't need to do this...

yeah its a mondeo...Any ideas who can do it for me. I am reading, that its wasting dosh paying 50 for a laser allignment, if i want to get it done correctly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Corcorans in Portlaoise are very good.

Jonty wrote: »
    Corcorans in Portlaoise are very good.

So can most tire places do gemotery or is it select places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

So can most tire places do gemotery or is it select places?

I dont know of any tyre place that will do Geometry. You're right to look for it but not sure where you will find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

dave mccann tyres in d15 will do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

yeah its a mondeo...Any ideas who can do it for me. I am reading, that its wasting dosh paying 50 for a laser allignment, if i want to get it done correctly....

There's a special alignment toolkit you'll have to get fom Ford. They use this to line up the subframe after taking it down for a clutch replacement...

Cyrus wrote: »
    dave mccann tyres in d15 will do it

You sure? On their website it just mentions the usual alignment and balancing. Geometry is a different ball game altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think so but maybe im wrong?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57044036

give them a call

Various methods are described to encourage you to resolve tyre wear or handling issues, additionally members in forums are keen to advise but often fall victim to the same miss-information, read carefully and stay ahead of 'alignment the big con'

Tracking/Alignment
    Is linear, this measurement shows no concern for any other angle. This form of measurement is the most common in the World and the most damaging.
    Angles measured 1

Four wheel Alignment
    Uses the rear wheels as a scale to centre the steering rack.... then the front toe..... this is better but is assuming the rear is centred.
    Angles measured 2

Four wheel Laser Alignment
    Same as above.... be wise!

Geometry/Primary
    Will image the exact rear centre line to permit a centred steering wheel.. additionally the front and rear camber positions will be measured. This is the most common form of Geometry and i consider this as 'basic'
    Angles measured 8

Full Geometry/primary and Secondary
    Is absolute but harder to understand. Few places even with the equipment measure the Secondary angles, these include...
    Castor
    KPI/SJI/SAI
    Scrub radius
    included angle
    TOOT/Ackerman
    Delta curve
    and so on

Most areas that involve rapid tyre wear or handling issues need to be read from the 'Secondary' data, even more important if the car has been modified or for diagnostics after an accident.
    Angles measured 15+

Not easy reading indeed, millions of pounds change hands every day for 'Alignment', a need to be wise could save you £ssss

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    Various methods are described to encourage you to resolve tyre wear or handling issues, additionally members in forums are keen to advise but often fall victim to the same miss-information, read carefully and stay ahead of 'alignment the big con'

Tracking/Alignment
    Is linear, this measurement shows no concern for any other angle. This form of measurement is the most common in the World and the most damaging.
    Angles measured 1

Four wheel Alignment
    Uses the rear wheels as a scale to centre the steering rack.... then the front toe..... this is better but is assuming the rear is centred.
    Angles measured 2

Four wheel Laser Alignment
    Same as above.... be wise!

Geometry/Primary
    Will image the exact rear centre line to permit a centred steering wheel.. additionally the front and rear camber positions will be measured. This is the most common form of Geometry and i consider this as 'basic'
    Angles measured 8

Full Geometry/primary and Secondary
    Is absolute but harder to understand. Few places even with the equipment measure the Secondary angles, these include...
    Castor
    KPI/SJI/SAI
    Scrub radius
    included angle
    TOOT/Ackerman
    Delta curve
    and so on

Most areas that involve rapid tyre wear or handling issues need to be read from the 'Secondary' data, even more important if the car has been modified or for diagnostics after an accident.
    Angles measured 15+

Not easy reading indeed, millions of pounds change hands every day for 'Alignment', a need to be wise could save you £ssss

So am I restricted to a few places in ireland to get this done, or can the main dealers do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Discount Auto Services do it - they're in Blanchardstown.

http://www.tyres4less.ie/alignment.html

Seperate wrote: »
    Discount Auto Services do it - they're in Blanchardstown.

http://www.tyres4less.ie/alignment.html

cheers. anyone know something closer to the West. let me know.

Advertisement