Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco 2600 Series on Eircom 7.6meg Line

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Ok, first of all please excuse my stupidity if I'm wrong but I'm preparing for my CCNA at the moment.

I want to set up a Cisco 2600 series router at home. At the moment I have the Usual Eircom/Netopia router installed.

I would assume I need to continue to utilize the "modem" part of this router and disable routing/DHCP?

After this I guess I would have to create NAT/some sort of passthrough for various services?

Anyway, I want to keep the Eircom router available to other people in the house while still using the Cisco router myself... is this possible?

If not I'm open to suggestions on getting teh 2600 working on the eircom line.

Cheers,

iRock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

You need to turn your modem into a bridge (Im not sure how to do this on a netopia, but most modems provide this feature).

This turns off all IP services (DHCP/NAT etc..) and bridges the ethernet straight through to your Cisco via one of the LAN ports.

You would then configure the PPP dialler on your cisco's FE interface. You will need to configure a LAN IP address on the cisco's other FE port (Connected to your LAN) and configure NAT also (to support multiple devices on the inside of the LAN).

<edit> Ooops - as christophicus notes below - the 2600 can be configured as your dhcp server also </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I would have thought he would be able to configure DHCP on the 2600, no ??

If the eircom router is put into bridge mode then the rest of the people in teh house would need to connect to the 2600 which I don't hink he wanted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Does the Netopia proivde wifi or some other functionality that you need to keep it for ? Might be worth trying to source a DSL WIC (eBay ?) for the 2600 and doing away with the Netopia entirely if all it's going to be doing is acting as a bridge. Am using a 1700 series here on BT with a DSL WIC and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Starting to make more sense to me!

I would have thought he would be able to configure DHCP on the 2600, no ??

If the eircom router is put into bridge mode then the rest of the people in teh house would need to connect to the 2600 which I don't hink he wanted ?

Yes.... my GF is a serious Gamer, need to try make sure that her gaming is not interrupted!

So I would leave her connected to the Netopia (VIA wireless using the Netopia as her DHCP server if possible?)

Then I would have the Cisco router connected into this but as mentioned above I need to configure the dialer (I understand the concept both I dont know how to do this... thats not really an issue though).

I want to be able to mess all I want with the Cisco router (which whill be connected to a switch where my servers and laptop is located) without messing up her connection.

I'm assuming this is a problem because I can only have one router dial on the connection?

zing wrote: »
    Does the Netopia proivde wifi or some other functionality that you need to keep it for ? Might be worth trying to source a DSL WIC (eBay ?) for the 2600 and doing away with the Netopia entirely if all it's going to be doing is acting as a bridge. Am using a 1700 series here on BT with a DSL WIC and it works fine.

I assume you mean something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/WIC-1SHDSL-Genuine-Cisco-DSL-Card-828-878-40-ex-VAT_W0QQitemZ290266119995QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290266119995&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Great idea and I would love to do things this way... but I want to ensure that her connection is not disrupted because (as you can tell) I'm just learning and she could experience a fair bit of downtime! :D

Anyway, I think I'm starting to realize this isn't possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Why not just set the Cisco router up as a router, rather then a modem/router. Don't have it dial eircom, just set it up a static IP on the Cisco - Eircom connection , setting the Eircom router as the default gateway, then set up the cisco router to DHCP your servers/laptop ( or statically do it if you want) . Yes you may have to forward ports on the Eircom router/modem depending on what apps you are running, but that should not really be too much hassle.

By the way congrats on getting a gaming GF :P .

Why not just set the Cisco router up as a router, rather then a modem/router. Don't have it dial eircom, just set it up a static IP on the Cisco - Eircom connection , setting the Eircom router as the default gateway, then set up the cisco router to DHCP your servers/laptop ( or statically do it if you want) .

Say for example I set the IP of the 2600 as 192.168.1.10 and the Gateway as 192.168.1.254 (Netopia Router),can keep the addresses in the 2600 LAN seperate/different?
    Yes you may have to forward ports on the Eircom router/modem depending on what apps you are running, but that should not really be too much hassle.

I assume you mean for HTTP, SMTP etc..? - This isn't a problem anyway.

By the way congrats on getting a gaming GF :P .

World of Warcraft Expansion coming soon .... if the router doesn't work I wont have a GF! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I'm with christophicus on this. Leave the Cisco as a ethernet router for now plugged in behind your eircom box. With boxes either side of it you should be able to play around with NAT, etc.. without breaking your DSL connection.

btw - assuming you're on adsl you'd need a WIC-1ADSL rather than a WIC-1SHDSL (or does the 2600 support HWIC's ?)

zing wrote: »
    I'm with christophicus on this. Leave the Cisco as a ethernet router for now plugged in behind your eircom box. With boxes either side of it you should be able to play around with NAT, etc.. without breaking your DSL connection.

btw - assuming you're on adsl you'd need a WIC-1ADSL rather than a WIC-1SHDSL (or does the 2600 support HWIC's ?)

Yup, I think your right... its the best way for the moment.
    Thanks for the advice on with WIC .... yes the 2600 does support HWIC's as far as I can see on that ebay site... but maybe thats incorrect?

Advertisement