Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split a string without a delimiter (C#)

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I need to split a string : ORDER1234
    into ORDER and 1234.

I could use a loop to split them but was wondering if you lads know of any handy functions (C#)?
    I can't use a delimiter.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're going to need some form of pattern if you want to split the string.

Will it always be Alpha Text followed by numbers?

If so, you just look for the occurence of the first digit in the string, then chop the string in two at that point.

Don't know a whole lot about C# but check out the Regex class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whackhead

seamus wrote: »
    You're going to need some form of pattern if you want to split the string.

Will it always be Alpha Text followed by numbers?

If so, you just look for the occurence of the first digit in the string, then chop the string in two at that point.

Don't know a whole lot about C# but check out the Regex class.

Cheers for the reply.

That was the problem, the pattern was going to change frequently. I have convinced by partner in crime to stick a delimiter in his barcodes, he was just being lazy!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Regex and store the pattern in a database/config file..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Whackhead wrote: »
    I need to split a string : ORDER1234
    into ORDER and 1234.

I could use a loop to split them but was wondering if you lads know of any handy functions (C#)?
    I can't use a delimiter.

Cheers

Lol. C# programmers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Cantab. wrote: »
    Lol. C# programmers...

Huh? You have a problem with people who program in C#? GG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kayos wrote: »
    Well you know, if you're not manually arranging the bits on the platter with a magnetised needle, it's not real programming...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Nah, he had problems splitting strings WITH a delimiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I was wondering what you were on about then I found this
    seamus wrote: »
    Well you know, if you're not manually arranging the bits on the platter with a magnetised needle, it's not real programming...

So all that time from peeking and poking on the C64 up today I was fooling myself thinking I was a programmer? Well apart from a brief assembly stint on a wang....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Your ma had a stint on my wang last night! *boom boom*

Seriously, what's with the slagging off other languages? Its obvious that the Whackhead is new to C#. And even if he isn't no one language is better than any other language. As we have said before many times on this forum, good development is choosing what language is best for the particular solution at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Can we report the above post for bad punning!

• Advertisement

Typical of individuals trained in "computer games programming" from the lesser-known ITs around the country.

I was wondering what you were on about then I found this

Quite. When you know how to split a string in one line, it's quite a frustrating experience to have to delve through abstract classes and functions for something that's been around since the 1960s.

Not to mention that you're probably caught in the limited dimensionality of the Microsoft windows environment.

Typical of individuals trained in "computer games programming" from the lesser-known ITs around the country.

I'm not trained in computer game programming, I just did that for fun. Wanna download it? It's available for PC and Xbox 360. Games aren't difficult like string manipulation though, that real time ambient occlusion shader wrote itself basically! And variance shadow maps? It's a shame you need two passes at all, what a waste of time.
    And which "lesser known" IT would that be? The one that got me head hunted by Microsoft?

Not to mention that you're probably caught in the limited dimensionality of the Microsoft windows environment.

Says the man who didn't know what the var,usr,sbin,bin, and etc folders were.

Says the man who didn't know what the var,usr,sbin,bin, and etc folders were.

Please, go right ahead and explain to everyone what they all mean.

I'd like your take on it too. Some interesting stuff came to light on that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thread Locked. Bans and infractions handed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement