Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahhhh people

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Dont u at times hate been a human. This morning i was at the vets collecting meds for one of my dogs when a "lady" came in with her 1 yr old male ginger cat to be PTS as he had a bladder infection. It is quiet bad the poor thing is in agony, he cant pass urine but it is curable.
    Even though never seen the cat before i couldnt let them do it, asked the owner could i have him that i would get him better and then find him a home. Thankfully they agreed. The cat is in the vets now getting treated, how could u do this to a pet u have had over a yr. Yes i know its going to cost a bit but so what, i will find the money from somewhere. I could also understand if the cat wasnt going to make it, but just to bring him in and say "This fella is sick please put him to sleep". Makes my blood boil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

mary123 wrote: »
    Dont u at times hate been a human. This morning i was at the vets collecting meds for one of my dogs when a "lady" came in with her 1 yr old male ginger cat to be PTS as he had a bladder infection. It is quiet bad the poor thing is in agony, he cant pass urine but it is curable.
    Even though never seen the cat before i couldnt let them do it, asked the owner could i have him that i would get him better and then find him a home. Thankfully they agreed. The cat is in the vets now getting treated, how could u do this to a pet u have had over a yr. Yes i know its going to cost a bit but so what, i will find the money from somewhere. I could also understand if the cat wasnt going to make it, but just to bring him in and say "This fella is sick please put him to sleep". Makes my blood boil

World needs more people like you!

*Hug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm amazed that the vet would actually agree to put the cat down anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

A vet can't really refuse to pts an animal if the owner asks, I wouldn't want them to either, if they refuse there's a good chance the owner will find their own means of disposal and it's not likely to be as humane. Some vets do take pity on the odd animal and arrange for them to be treated and rehomed, but you can't expect them to do it all of the time.

I find it more distressing that an owner allowed an animal to get into this state without veterinary care. Fingers crossed for this poor kitty that all comes right for him quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well, for every b***** like that, thank god there is a star like Mary123!!!

Reminds me of a phone in I heard on Derek Mooney's programme with a vet. A woman phoned in saying her dog had some mild illness (can't remember what) and he needed daily medication but she "couldn't justify spending the money" on her dog.

She wanted the vet to tell her some home remedy, but when he didnt have one and explained the medication was very cheap, she still responded she "couldn't justify" spending the money. He then suggested going to a charity or the Blue Cross - but she said "Oh no! Its not that I can't afford it. I just can't justify spending that money on a dog."

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

Fair play to you OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

How much could a few anti biotics (guessing) cost??? More than a life?

The attitude of people these days is a real worry, we live in such a throw-away culture, what's next? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Who for god's sake how could she be so cruel! Thank God, you where there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Talking to the vet it is more than an infection thinks it could be kidney stones. Will know more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Disposable Ireland is still strong I see. :rolleyes:

I met a beautiful CKC this morning. 5 years old and used as a puppy farm. She contracted mange and her owners wanted her pts as they couldn't be bothered with it. :mad:

Happily, she'll be getting treatment, and hopefully going to a new CARING home soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Had a similar experience once. Was in the vet's getting my cat's boosters done, woman came in with a beautiful one year old tortoise shell kitty. She was having a baby and asked the vet to take the cat in and pts as she couldn't look after both... Bear in mind this cat had no health problems or social problems. Lovely little guy.

I asked the woman could I take the cat and rehome him. Thankfully she agreed and the little fella is now living happily with one of my friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I would not be a huge animal lover by any means but thats horrible,,, your yan was probably just a lazy b8tch who couldnt have been bothered to sort that cat out, fair deuce to ya. hope it gets better real quick

This cat, who by the way is a big beautiful ginger boy, has what the vets call FLUDT. Not sure what it stands for did tell me but i forget. What it means is that he gets so stressed that he cant pass urine, this could be a temp thing so something that could be a on going thing. Can be treated with anti depres meds. But this is not a great solutution.
    I have him for a couple of days to see how he goes. The vets says if it continues its not fair on the cat. My house is prob not the best place for him as i have dogs, cats, kittens,Guinea pigs, fish and turtles not to count kids and grand kids. the ideal situation for him would be a quiet stress free home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Aw poor baby, maybe an old retired couple might be a good home for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It's *Feline Low Urinary Tract Disease* and is very painful and can be potentially fatal. He needs a special diet. FLUDT isn't just one particular disease but rather a *mix* of different conditions (for the lack of a different expression).

I quote:
    FLUTD - Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease - FLUDT is a inflammation of lower urinary tract in cats that has the potential to be very painful and fatal if left untreated. The causes for the inflammation are many and varied from low water intake to diet, bacteria, viruses and urine retention. Symptoms include frequent or difficult urination, urination in inappropriate places, blood in urine, appetite loss or frequent licking of the genitals. Some of the treatments include antibiotics, catheterization or in some cases surgery. But also pet owners are encouraged to ensure their cats drink plenty of water and change the cat's diet.

EGAR wrote: »
    It's *Feline Low Urinary Tract Disease* and is very painful and can be potentially fatal. He needs a special diet. FLUDT isn't just one particular disease but rather a *mix* of different conditions (for the lack of a different expression).

I quote:

What would be the best diet for him. also will he lead a normal life.

If I had him then I would look for a good vet with alot of FLUDT experience to discover the reason for the development of symptoms. As you can see there are many different causes for it and for the vet to say it is stress is kind of presumptious without doing in-debth tests.

Hill's, Science Plan all make FLUDT diet cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Mary123, I've a fair bit of experience in this as Soda had it & then crystals. First off, the vet needs to catheterise him. Then they have to test to see if it's crystals in his bladder & not just a UTI or FLUDT. Most vets are quite up to date with this - it is quite common, especially in males. Stress does cause UTI's which can lead to any of the above if left untreated which your wee man must have been in this case. If it is crystals, a specific food will help him lead a long & happy life.
    They to tend to let you know when they are suffering, they will pee where you can see it & it's usually dark or with blood.
    If you're a member of PI or IA, pm Charlotte about this - there is nothing she doesn't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Get more advice, our cat developed problem urinating about 3 years ago. He was 4. It turned out to be something like kidney stones but they form in bladder. Vet said some foods cause it, some cats prone to it, especially toms. First time vet did op to clean out bladder as had got infection quite bad from a blockage caused by passing these crystals.
    After that and anti biotics he got better, had a special food(vet ordered it) and did quite well for about a year. It reoccured 3 more times but caught it early as new the signs. He sadly died of vet thinks a hernia in august, but had normal quality of life otherwise, thanks to my great vet who was willing to do research and even called to check occasionally(at no charge). So good luck, hope he's ok.
    cotton got in first, meant to add if there is an infection you'll smell it and see colour as cotton said.

Got to see Billys file this morning. I picked this all up totally wrong. I thought this was the first bout of this but its not. Billy started with this about 7 weeks ago and this is his 3rd bout. Billy has been put on RC food for this. I am picking up Billy tonight but my concerns is that will he be rehomable. I know there is prob someone out there for him but how easy to u think he will be to find someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP fair play to you.

I can't understand ppl letting money deciding their decision.

I'd a cat a few years ago who was run over. He had terrible injuries, however the Vet gave us some hope and said he didn't think the cat was in a lot of pain.

I didn't have pet insurance (I do know after this expensive lession).

It cost me just over €1400 in Vet fee's, but Tigger died.

I don't regret spending a penny of it.

You done a great thing OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Good on you mary it's always worth one last try, my old girl had kidney problems from about 16yrs old till about 21 yrs old not sure what really cured it, but you can mix a bit of bread soda in milk and give it to them to stop acid burning them when passing, I know not to give milk but vet said as long as they seem to be tolarating it, it was fine to keep going with it about once a day, you can also get cat treats in Aldi/lidl with cranberry in them this also seemed to help as well as powder cranberry in the chemist which you can mix into the water a little at a time so they can't taste it, I'll check with the health shop later there's a lad there that studies the use of herble meds on animals and I've gotten some great stuff from him from time to time that worked wonders but I always run it passed my vet before I use them, if he suggust anything I'll post the name of it for you just run it passed the vet though.

Thanks Black cat that would be great. not only am i collecting Billy from the vets to night im collecting another 5 kittens, 1 is a tabby 4 months old. the others are younger not sure of their ages yet or where they came from. why the hell cant people get there cats done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Hi Mary,

My girl cat has had 3 bouts of this in the last year. We now have her on Royal Canine Urinary pouches mixed with the Urinary dry. My vet also gave me some mineral powder stuff to mix with her food. It's a bit early to say really whether this is working or not as she has only been on the diet approx 3 months but we have our fingers crossed for her. It's not a nice infection to have as she seems to be in alot of pain during the bouts of it.

Our vet has suggested that we may have to re-home if she gets another bout of it (our tom is a bit of a bully to her).

Fingers cross for your guy - I can't believe his owners wanted to give up on him like that. They just wanted to take the quick way out and obviously didn't care for the cat at all. He is better off with you - lucky kittie!

Blackcat - I would also be interested in those herb meds you mentioned.

Cathy

No problem I'll be over there later and hope he's working today.

I got the name of some tablets today that maybe able to help the cats, they work on anything inflammation and anything ending with "stitis" also good for chills ,fevers, coughs, colds and congestion, you simple put it on their tongue's and it melts and go's straight in to the blood stream to work quickly, or you can crush them and put them on the tongue or in their food.

The name of them is New Era, Biochemic Tissue Salts, Ferr. Phos. no. 4,
    Best to write this all down and take it to the health shop with you, you can get them at Nourish health shop http://www.nourish.ie in Dublin, not sure of other shops around the country, they cost about 5 euro for 450 tablets so good value as well, I've e-mailed them to give me some more info or tell me were I can get hold of the books they get their info from so I'll post that info when I get it.

We worked out the dose to be one a day or two for acute cases, in humans they can be given every half hour on till they help in really really bad cases, I wouldn't recommend any more than four or five in a day for this, I did read it would be highly unlikely for some one to over dose on them so they seem quiet safe, all the same I do recommend that you consult the vet before using them as they may interfere with other meds they are being given, the vet will also know by the ingredients if there is anything harm full that an animal could over dose on.

The lad I usually deal with wasn't there but the manger was great help, she filled me in on some new research in to Echinaforce and so far it has shown up brilliant results for animals that are ill or in recovery or just need an extra boost, it is fantastic for the immune system and has fantastic healing powers, results are showing great things happening with the use of this, dosage is hard to tell and for anything human I convert for animal use, I give similar amounts to cats as would be given to young infants or half what a child of two would get, you need to always bring it down weight for weight as such, way your large dog and a child or your self and work it from there as such, again recommend you speak to your vet before using anything. Echina really needs to be given as early as possible when the animal gets sick, or give daily in small amounts to keep them healthy. You can get it in drop form and put it in their water, but make sure you get the one with out alcohol in it, it's usually the infants one.

I will be giving mine the Echina starting to night to give them the boost they need after that flu virus they've just had and the vet is happy for me to do so as well as the vet recommended lysine, it's amino acids which they can't produce in the body them selfs and with the lack of meat and cheat wheat in shop bought and vet foods it is almost missing in tirely from their diet as well as lots and lots and lots of turkey for the turine.

Hope it's all of some help to you's.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Havent been on line monitor broke. The good news is that i found the rescue that Billy came from and they have taken him back. The owners of Billy had been onto the rescue who told them that they were full but if they could hold onto Billy for a day or two there was a foster home coming up. Which of course they did mind about that is how Billy ended up ready to be pts.
    Billy is now seetled back in rescue and hopefully are some rest and maybe further treatment will be looking for a great new home.
    Thanks Black cat i will pass on ur advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

That's great news for Billy! Lucky guy that someone with a kind heart was there to intercept on his behalf.

Billy couldnt be in better hands. Now if anyone can help with the 12 kitties i have now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement