Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministerial and senior civil servant 10% pay cut (Merged threads)

Options
  • 15-10-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

They are taking a 10% cut in their MINISTERIAL ALLOWANCES while their basic TD salaries of €88k and those of Every Other TD, remains completely untouched .

Nice :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Have you got a source for that. Not being rude or anything I'd just like to read up on that as it would rather dent their credibility (not that ruining the economy hasn't dented their credibility)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, a quote or a source please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

... anxiously awaiting a reference for this story ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I had the same suspicion myself but going by the minister's speech it's their total pay and not just their ministerial allowance:
    Today, I wish to tell the House that members of the Government and Ministers of State will surrender 10% of their current total pay.

I don't think it can be much clearer than that to be honest, at least not until something more formal is put into writing or even legislation (which I don't think will happen).

The thing to watch is the expenses sheet for 2009; although the ministerial one is a bit more difficult to track than an individual TD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

That was the rumour doing the rounds last night - but hands up - looks like I was wrong. The transcript of his speech gives him very little wriggle room -
    In July, the Government announced that Ministers and other senior public servants would forego pending pay increases recommended by the Review Body on Higher Remuneration. Today, I wish to tell the House that members of the Government and Ministers of State will surrender 10% of their current total pay. Officers at Secretary General level in Government Departments have volunteered to make a corresponding surrender in respect of their pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Senior civil servants have also been ordered to take a 10% wage cut in the harshest Budget Ireland has seen for a generation

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidkfsnsnkf/

out of interest what is considered a senior in the civil service? im curious to know what sort of numbers we are talking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

anyone above 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I would assume that would be AP's & PO's, not sure if they would count HEO's in that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AFAIK its only Ministers that have to take that cut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

SGs and AS's I would imagine only.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    SGs and AS's I would imagine only.

Woops forgot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

think the Dept of Finance confirmed last night it is their actual pay been reduced... but they will still continue to get pension entitlements for the amount before they took the cut.... so its all just for show really.... at least Mary is taking a 10% cut too.. though why the president gets paid over €300k is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still liars their pension payements are on the rate before the cut anyone who thinks they will lose a cent is in dreamland - dont forget they still have a deferred 14% pay rise to take.
    linky
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget-2009/news/pensions-not-affected-by-ministers-10pc-pay-cut-1498918.html

see mcaleese is taking one now should impose a 50% one on her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a 10% forced redundancy across the public service would have been more in line , plus a pay freeze for the next 2 yrs for the rest of them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

irish_bob wrote: »
    a 10% forced redundancy across the public service would have been more in line , plus a pay freeze for the next 2 yrs for the rest of them

Why on earth should civil servants be put on a pay freeze for the next 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Why on earth should civil servants be put on a pay freeze for the next 2 years?

benchmarking goes both ways you know.

MadsL wrote: »
    benchmarking goes both ways you know.

Yeah and Civil Servants are still catching up to people in the private sector in terms of pay, yet they are the ones that have to take a pay freeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yeah and Civil Servants are still catching up to people in the private sector in terms of pay, yet they are the ones that have to take a pay freeze!
    Too right. Not a great idea to try and fix the economy by giving civil servants more incentive to strike. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well in fairness they, the Ministers, are only in a position to cut their own pay. They can't force the rest of the TDs to cut their own pay.

Pay cuts across most of the public service would be ideal, but I can't see it happening any time soon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

well they arent even trying to catch up in terms of productivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

El Presidente is taking that 10% cut.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    El Presidente is taking that 10% cut.

Mike

not that shes going to have to start burning the carpets and the books from the aras to keep warm during the winter.... 325k a year, pension, mansion to live in, cars and drivers paid for by the state, free travel round the world paid for by the state... free tickets to any match/concert she wants (surely thats bik!!) ... all in return for smiling waving shaking a few hands... not bad if you can get it

Cyrus wrote: »
    well they arent even trying to catch up in terms of productivity

What information do you base this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

any dealings i have had with civil servants,

i think eveyone knows productivity is low and there are far too many staff doing sweet fa

care to educate me otherwise

2 big problems with civil service are
    a) too many people are allowed work on either job share, three day week or week on week off
    and
    b) its not performance based. jack and tom can be sitting beside each other and one does nothing and one works their ass off but both get same percentage increase... doesnt motivate one to push onself....

Cyrus wrote: »
    any dealings i have had with civil servants,

i think eveyone knows productivity is low and there are far too many staff doing sweet fa

care to educate me otherwise

Yes I would care to educate you otherwise:

Currently there is talk of staff getting sacked in the Public Sector and as a result I have been lumped with jobs 2/3 grades higher than me have been doing, I get no extra for it and this is ontop of my already flatout job. I work my a$$ off while higher up PS's do feck all and then I listen to people saying well all their pay should be frozen etc. Only those that aren't working should have increases and pay freezes in my opinion.

There are a decent amount that don't bother there a$$ but there are loads that do and until someone cops on and starts cleaning up then waste will always be there but look at our government as a prime example of waste. PS's/CS's are suppose to look upto the Ministers etc but you would be stupid to because they do feck all work. All the lower down grades are the ones that work hard yet the higher grades just get their staff to do their work!
    podge79 wrote: »
    2 big problems with civil service are
    a) too many people are allowed work on either job share, three day week or week on week off
    and
    b) its not performance based. jack and tom can be sitting beside each other and one does nothing and one works their ass off but both get same percentage increase... doesnt motivate one to push onself....

In response:

A) Have you got figures to back up that "TOO MANY" are allowed to do this? In my dept I only know 1 person out of nearly 200 on any of the above.

B) It actually is performance based, take a look for PMDS (Performance Management Development System).
    If you don't perform for the year you don't get your increase, simple as!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

snip...the Ministers etc but you would be stupid to because they do feck all work. All the lower down grades are the ones that work hard yet the higher grades just get their staff to do their work!

In response...snip...

Have you got figures to prove your point?

If you are so concerned about people making generalisations about the PS/CS then why do you do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tara45

They should get the average living wage for the country. That'd be realy motivation for them to do their job properly ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Why the fupp does our auspicious Uachtarán get paid more than the Taoiseach?? I think it was £100,000 when she took the job:eek:

Advertisement