Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N96 on 3

• 15-10-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Register your interest for N96 from €299 on pay monthly

A bit spicy that!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Register your interest for N96 from 299 on pay monthly

A bit spicy that!

where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I wonder if it will be available on upgrade and if €299 is only for the most expensive monthly plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wonder if it will be available on upgrade and if €299 is only for the most expensive monthly plan.

I don't see why not on upgrade, €299 seems cheap for relax 950 I was thinking a lot more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,129 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats pretty encouraging :) shame im not due an upgrade :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Wow, I have to say well done to 3 on this one. Considering they brought the N95 about 13 years after nokia had released it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

I would say that this is the lowest price that will be available. On the other price plans with a lower monthly commitment it will cost a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

So does this mean 3 may roll out proper DVB-H in the near future?
    Its about the only compelling thing about this phone over an N95.

quintron wrote: »
    So does this mean 3 may roll out proper DVB-H in the near future?
    Its about the only compelling thing about this phone over an N95.

If a slingbox and sky counts they've been offering it for ages...
    Nokia-N73.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it doesn't. dvb-h is completely separate to the mobile network. It needs it's own masts and hardware built into the phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it doesn't. dvb-h is completely separate to the mobile network. It needs it's own masts and hardware built into the phone
    It's a whole new ball game. Dvb-H is one of those things that nobody takes ownership for or takes the responsibility of expanding unless it's exclusive to them, and even still, it'll probably really only exist in Dublin for mobile phones for the foreseeable future.

O2 began a trial at three rock in march last year, but whatever happened that, I do not know...

will you need a tv licence to recieve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

will you need a tv licence to recieve it?
    lol, i'm sure you will if this recession hits... :)
    dunno....

DVB-H in Ireland at a glance(ish)..
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=1953 (note date of article post...)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_in_Ireland
    http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/ireland/

technically yes, u need a tv licence to receive it.

So, back to the question.. speculation that three will be first to offer this service through the network? Is it a possibility do yis reckon? Part of a 3 master plan of usurpdom? Pipe dream on the part of a poster?
    3 have crap phones for ages and then get the N96 in pretty fast...
    What do u think?

DVB-H in Ireland at a glance(ish)..
    http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?id=1953 (note date of article post...)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_in_Ireland
    http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/ireland/

technically yes, u need a tv licence to receive it.

So, back to the question.. speculation that three will be first to offer this service through the network?
    What do u think?

They already do, there's live sky sports on 3....that's DVB-H or close enough, no?

They already do, there's live sky sports on 3....that's DVB-H or close enough, no?
    as was already explained, no. Dvb-h is not simply the act of transmitting tv to a phone, it's a specific technology. It's based on dvb-t (t being terrestrial and h being handheld) and employs an extra battery saving technique where bursts of data are sent at regular intervals which account for several seconds of play and the phone turns off its receiver between bursts

for a phone to receive a dvb-h signal it has to have dedicated hardware that can decode the signal and know when to turn on and off its receiver etc.

unicasting a 3gp video over a 3g network is not the same as a dvb-h broadcast. A dvb-h mast is closer to a tv mast than it is to a mobile mast and each technology has advantages over the other. And they're not the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

nevf wrote: »
    it'll probably really only exist in Dublin for mobile phones for the foreseeable future.

I think the plan is to be used to provide mobile TV services in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford and Limerick first.

. And they're not the same thing

I know there not the same thing, but 3's already well ahead of the game as far as Mobile TV is concerned, I use mobile TV through planet 3 and sling so i'm not seeing any advantage of DVB-H at present.....much like you know what;)

I know there not the same thing, but 3's already well ahead of the game as far as Mobile TV is concerned, I use mobile TV through planet 3 and sling so i'm not seeing any advantage of DVB-H at present.....much like you know what;)

as has been pointed out there are advantages and disadvantages to both technologies which is why both are still being offered and there's been no clear winner but if you're happy with unicast 3gp than good for you

personally i use my own slingbox and get all my sky channels instead of what a network decides to offer me

personally i use my own slingbox and get all my sky channels instead of what a network decides to offer me

same as, doubt they'll be able to stick a TV licence on a sling box, still knowing FF anything is possible...

• Advertisement

same as, doubt they'll be able to stick a TV licence on a sling box, still knowing FF anything is possible...

they already have. it contains a tv tuner so it needs a license. and they're even smarter than that. the license has to be for the building in which the content is viewed, not the one where the slingbox is.

i think i misunderstood what you were saying here. are you saying that 3 are way ahead of the other networks because you can use a slingbox on it :confused:

you can use a slingbox on any network and i regularly use my slingbox over meteor. or are you saying they're way ahead because they have higher data packages that are better for a lot of streaming? or am i misunderstanding you this time and were you actually talking about 3's mobile tv offering?

the major advantage of dvb-h over a slingbox is you don't have to buy a slingbox and have it plugged in the whole time, not to mention the fact that a slingbox requires a home internet connection with quite a high upload speed

they already have. it contains a tv tuner so it needs a license. and they're even smarter than that. the license has to be for the building in which the content is viewed, not the one where the slingbox is.

i think i misunderstood what you were saying here. are you saying that 3 are way ahead of the other networks because you can use a slingbox on it :confused:

you can use a slingbox on any network and i regularly use my slingbox over meteor. or are you saying they're way ahead because they have higher data packages that are better for a lot of streaming? or am i misunderstanding you this time and were you actually talking about 3's mobile tv offering?

the major advantage of dvb-h over a slingbox is you don't have to buy a slingbox and have it plugged in the whole time, not to mention the fact that a slingbox requires a home internet connection with quite a high upload speed

I think 3 are ahead because they optimized their data delivery for Sling and Orb. I use Orb myself which saved me the cost of buying a slingbox and gave me access to recorded programs to watch when I want.

I think 3 are ahead because they optimized their data delivery for Sling and Orb. I use Orb myself which saved me the cost of buying a slingbox and gave me access to recorded programs to watch when I want.

my slingbox works fine over meteor 3g and is a bit jumpy on edge. 3 may have optimised their network for it but it works just as well on meteor in my experience

3 may have optimised their network for it but it works just as well on meteor in my experience

lol:D If only we all lived in Dublin or Cork....

If I said that you'd be giving me a rollicking...

lol:D If only we all lived in Dublin or Cork....

If I said that you'd be giving me a rollicking...

emmmmmm, no i wouldn't. we're not talking about coverage area, we're talking about network optimisations or lack thereof

One advantage of DVB-H is having a built in EPG on the device and thus the ability to schedule recordings from the phone, effectively turning a DVB-H equpeed phone into a mobile PVR. This is wholly dependent of course on quality of DVB provided by the network/broadcasting agency etc. I use my slingbox also and find it okay most of the time. This is a data based service however and my understanding of DVB-H is that its not based on data downloads etc, its just a digital receiver. How a network decides to charge is anyones guess. I haven't bothered to look at the model in other countries where it is currently offered. I know France are big on it though.

One advantage of DVB-H is having a built in EPG on the device and thus the ability to schedule recordings from the phone, effectively turning a DVB-H equpeed phone into a mobile PVR.
    well that's not necessarily unique to DVB-H. there's nothing to stop a mobile operator providing an EPG for their mobile tv offering, complete with scheduled recordings, although that's mostly done with video on demand services and not live tv. of course there is no concept of video on demand on DVB-H, it's broadcast only
    I use my slingbox also and find it okay most of the time. This is a data based service however and my understanding of DVB-H is that its not based on data downloads etc, its just a digital receiver.
    you're right. it's basically a terrestrial tv system that's been optimised for bradcasting to hand held devices, not necessarily phones and the device doesn't even have to have uplink capability. there's a dvb-h-like system in japan that can be viewed on a nintendo wii with a plug-in ariel
    How a network decides to charge is anyones guess. I haven't bothered to look at the model in other countries where it is currently offered. I know France are big on it though.
    my understanding is you pay a subscription fee like other tv services. there is generally no uplink capability in dvb-h so the network can even tell what you're watching, let alone charge you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

N96 will be in all 3stores by Saturday. Store price starts at ?329 for relax 950

my slingbox works fine over meteor 3g and is a bit jumpy on edge. 3 may have optimised their network for it but it works just as well on meteor in my experience
    I don't doubt it as there are few 3g data users on meteor yet. However x-series orb and sling appear to have a higher priority than normal data transmission. Once people start using meteor 3g for mobile bb then applications such as sling will get badly hit.

• Advertisement

I don't doubt it as there are few 3g data users on meteor yet. However x-series orb and sling appear to have a higher priority than normal data transmission. Once people start using meteor 3g for mobile bb then applications such as sling will get badly hit.

you could be right, i suppose only time will tell. but do you think that this optimisation might be part of the reason why 3's usb broadband is so god awful?

i'm not trying to get a dig in here but don't you think all those upset people on the broadband forum would be a lot more upset if they found out that despite all the other problems they were being given a low priority on the network?

Advertisement