Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N96 on 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you could be right, i suppose only time will tell. but do you think that this optimisation might be part of the reason why 3's usb broadband is so god awful?

i'm not trying to get a dig in here but don't you think all those upset people on the broadband forum would be a lot more upset if they found out that despite all the other problems they were being given a low priority on the network?

true, I've seen people struggle to get into google while I can watch you tube on the phone right beside them with no problem...that's provoked some funny looks..

In fairness I pay €99pm + to 3 while someone on mobile bb only pays €19.99 if priority was given to modems i'd be mighty upset with 3....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

they already have. it contains a tv tuner so it needs a license.
    This is not true because i tv tuner in a pc doesnt need a licence so dvb-h should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

davton wrote: »
    This is not true because i tv tuner in a pc doesnt need a licence so dvb-h should be the same.
    a tv card does need a license :P

i used to work in maplin and whenever i sold a tv card it would pop up on the screen reminding me to check if the customer had a license. I always did of course :rolleyes:

i used to work in maplin and whenever i sold a tv card it would pop up on the screen reminding me to check if the customer had a license. I always did of course :rolleyes:
    Why do people never believe when i say that about the licence. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences/?searchterm=tv%20licence
    [url][/url]

davton wrote: »
    Why do people never believe when i say that about the licence. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences/?searchterm=tv%20licence
    [url][/url]

i'm confused as to why you linked to that. it says you don't need a license to watch tv on your computer but i read that as things like streaming rte from the website.

it also says "However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal". other apparatus would include a tv card as far as i'm concerned.

that and the fact that i'd say maplin researched it before feeling the need to warn me to check every time i sold one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I bought a PC in Aldi a few years ago. Had a couple of TV tuner cards built in. I had to fill out a form for the TV licence at the checkout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Is this thread not about the N96?

Walkman wrote: »
    Is this thread not about the N96?

it became about tv licenses somewhere along the way. you'll have to slog back through the posts to find where it veered off course :P

Tried but fell asleep lol, too bored reading about if i need a tv licence or not (did you and drunkmonkey have something to do with it:-))?

Walkman wrote: »
    Tried but fell asleep lol, too bored reading about if i need a tv licence or not (did you and drunkmonkey have something to do with it:-))?

in fact we did :D

you appear to have been infracted on consumer issues btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

in fact we did :D

you appear to have been infracted on consumer issues btw

No harm either, walkman could have easily kicked the whole thing off again....:D

Just keeping an eye on you too, actually I was finding the squabbling quite amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The N96 has been launched on 3UK at £15 per month for 18 months. £270, roughly 350. There is no DVB but it has a built-in BBC iplayer application. I have had a look round a friend's and I think there are a few bugs to be ironed out yet.

Was just in the 3store in Limerick, they have it in stock now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 standeman

Just spoke to the legendary 3 call centre regarding getting an upgrade to the N96:

Me: How much will the N96 handset be if I upgrade based on my current plan?
    3: We are not selling the N96 yet.
    Me: You are on your website.
    3: We are sold out
    Me: When you get more stock in, how much will it be to upgrade to the N96?
    3: How can I tell you that when we have sold out?
    Me: Just because you are sold out, it shouldn't mean that you can't tell me the upgrade cost of this handset.
    3: It is different for every customer, depending on the price plan
    Me: OK, tell me how much it will be based on my current price plan
    3: You will have to call back next week when we have more stock.

Absolute legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

they are in stock, but i dont think they're fully branded with 3 firmware. so if you want an n96 thats not full of ****e buy it now...

standeman wrote: »
    Just spoke to the legendary 3 call centre regarding getting an upgrade to the N96:

Me: How much will the N96 handset be if I upgrade based on my current plan?
    3: We are not selling the N96 yet.
    Me: You are on your website.
    3: We are sold out
    Me: When you get more stock in, how much it would be to upgrade to the N96?
    3: How can I tell you that when we have sold out?
    Me: Just because you are sold out, it shouldn't mean that you can't tell me the upgrade cost of this handset.
    3: It is different for every customer, depending on the price plan
    Me: OK, tell me how much it will be based on my current price plan
    3: You will have to call back next week when we have more stock.

Absolute legends.

that made my head hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

that made my head hurt

It seems to be typical of their customer care, although in saying that, I am sure someone will advise that their experience has always been better. :p

you want upgrade prices? i got your prices right here pal...

Band a: 429
    band b: 399
    band c: 379
    band d: 349
    band e: 329
    band f: 309

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,129 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not stunning, im not due an upgrade wonder will they make it available pay as you go so i can buy it?

• Advertisement

payg : 599

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,129 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

payg : 599

just as i thought the same as the sim free price :pac:

you want upgrade prices? i got your prices right here pal...

Band a: 429
    band b: 399
    band c: 379
    band d: 349
    band e: 329
    band f: 309

I thought the price was From €299?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cyrus wrote: »
    not stunning, im not due an upgrade wonder will they make it available pay as you go so i can buy it?

It is at €569. However it has disappeared off the web site altogether now so they must have it on only when it is in stock.

It is at €569. However it has disappeared off the web site altogether now so they must have it on only when it is in stock.

Think you mean €579. LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Checked the website last night and i could get a N96 for 349 on current plan.
    Its not there this evening so spoke to a 3 advisor and he told me that they sold out very quickly and should be back in stock 01/11/08....

He seemed very helpful and im on his personal waiting list,havent had an upgrade in 3 years so said he could give me a good deal.

Ive offered to go on a two year contract if it will make a big handset reduction.

adamstown1 wrote: »
    Checked the website last night and i could get a N96 for 349 on current plan.
    Its not there this evening so spoke to a 3 advisor and he told me that they sold out very quickly and should be back in stock 01/11/08....

He seemed very helpful and im on his personal waiting list,havent had an upgrade in 3 years so said he could give me a good deal.

Ive offered to go on a two year contract if it will make a big handset reduction.

yoooooooooooou'll beeeeee sooooooooooorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

yoooooooooooou'll beeeeee sooooooooooorry!!

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only reason that Maplin have that on their system is because they are an English company and it is law there that you must give details for these items, local manager told me this, they said 'I'll just fill in Micky Mouse for you' and was done... :D

• Advertisement

adamstown1 wrote: »
    whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

unless the guy was referring to web orders, they are in stock. i saw one in a 3 store today. the first run is limited however.

personal list? please, you wont get a call back

and do not enter a 2 yr contract, when something goes wrong, and it will. you'll rue the day you signed it.

Advertisement