Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis, yuk.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Anyone who badmouths Toyota's build quality knows nothing about cars. End of.

Budweiser are masters of brewing beer: all around the world they can reliably produce the very same beer from each brewery, through fanatical attention to their ingredients and processes.

Similarly Toyota are acknowledged masters at putting cars together. But if the design is crap and the materials are nasty, you don't get a quality result by adding "build quality".

Oh, and Bud is horrible beer, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I used to own one or two of them and found them grand, they suited my needs but I have moved on since then.

But there are some extremly blinkered comments here from both sides of the fence, those who see them as white goods which would hamper their life long aspirations and those who are denfenders of the faith and claim they are the best thing in the world. Neither is the case imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zube wrote: »
    Budweiser are masters of brewing beer: all around the world they can reliably produce the very same beer from each brewery, through fanatical attention to their ingredients and processes.

Similarly Toyota are acknowledged masters at putting cars together. But if the design is crap and the materials are nasty, you don't get a quality result by adding "build quality".

But alot of people still want Bud so the name of the game is to give those people what they want. Doesn't mean everyone has to buy it however.

bazz26 wrote: »
    But alot of people still want Bud so the name of the game is to give those people what they want.

What gets me is that the deficiencies in the Avensis could be fixed: it could drive as well as a Mondeo and have the interior quality of an Audi without upsetting Toyota's core market.

But everyone knows that the next Avensis will be just as poor in those areas compared to the competition as the current one. Toyota are doing this on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We all know they aren't the best car on the market but they are one of the best 'value for money' cars in that section. The mickey mouse faults that some of you on here are stating obviously don't matter to the Irish people who buy the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They are reliable cars built to a budget. The compromises in the things are huge. Outside of the obvious stuff you want right, ie engine, brakes etc they are truly nasty cheap crap cars- they feel like cheaper than FIATs.

It's a masterstroke in marketing. There is a reason Toyotas are the most profitable car company- because they charge a premium for what is an inferior product. All things considered, they are very poor value for money.

If you like this when you can have a superior car for the same money- then you're easily fooled IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Horrible is a bit much.
    Bland and flavourless, like Toyota, would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭kyote00

Audi as a brand is intriguing....

If you want a 1.9 diesel - why get an A4 and not a passat or octavia ?
    If you want a 'premium' german badge then get a BMW or Merc ...

Audi seems to be brought by brand conscious folks who seem to have more money than sense. Styling wise they are uber conservative with the exception of the ridiculous lights (look at me, I'm in my AWDI):D

-- runs for cover --
    What gets me is that the deficiencies in the Avensis could be fixed: it could drive as well as a Mondeo and have the interior quality of an Audi without upsetting Toyota's core market.

But everyone knows that the next Avensis will be just as poor in those areas compared to the competition as the current one. Toyota are doing this on purpose.

New Audis in Ireland are a joke. All bottom of the range POSs, anonymous looks, underpowered engines, low basic specs...

It's not Audis fault that people want their brand and thus buy the wrong car. Tell me a tiptronic S-line A6 3.2 quattro with a nice set of RS6s doesn't make you go weak at the knees:p (not even to mention the RS cars)...

cantdecide wrote: »
    Tell me a tiptronic S-line A6 3.2 quattro with a nice set of RS6s doesn't make you go weak at the knees:p

Nope, €75K for a car makes me think Porsche, not Audi.

• Advertisement

Nope, €75K for a car makes me think Porsche, not Audi.

My point exactly. Proper Audi or crap Porsche??? Proper Audi please:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Do you know how much car makers make accessories and extras??
    A top spec car compared to a base spec car at higher class is far worse value really as the cost to manufacturer is far lower while you pay the same amount.
    Also there is more to go wrong in the car and therefore to be fixed thus leading to probable higher repair costs and lastly the higher depreciation felt by high spec cars.

enda1 wrote: »

Fair bowl to them- I'd rather have my spec than be looking at the guys who have it, when I don't.

So what if they're making a few bob- the govt are taking 52% (yes, 36% VRT increase the cost by 52%). That's not the manufacturers fault. Absolutely NO new car in any spec is worth the asking price in this country. That doesn't mean I'm happy to live with a go-kart specced car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

enda1 wrote: »
    A top spec car compared to a base spec car at higher class is far worse value really as the cost to manufacturer is far lower while you pay the same amount.
    Also there is more to go wrong in the car and therefore to be fixed thus leading to probable higher repair costs and lastly the higher depreciation felt by high spec cars.

People's obsession with extras always baffles me alright. People would gladly buy the 1.9TDi A4 and add extra's rather than just buying the 2.0TDi and forgetting about the silly i-pod dock or whatever other overpriced crap is offered.
    Toyotas of late are overpriced alright. Auris or Civic? Civic please. More reliable than the Toyota, better engines, nicer looking, much more for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I once had to take either an 05 1.6 Vectra or a 05 Avensis 1.6 for a few months at work back in 05 (Avensis is still the same car). I went to the hire firm and test drove both and I could not believe the difference.

The Avensis was total rubbish and the Vectra was a very surprisingly good car. I am looking forward to seeing the Insignia when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

There was a study reported in New Scientist a year back about various cars and their male owners. They found that Avensis owners had the lowest levels of testosterone by quite a margin and this contributed to poor health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Is the Avensis really that bad? I drove one today, '99 petrol, was fine. Simple enough car and if their reliability rep is true then I don't have a problem with that at all, even if it is a bit of a stiff drive.

A few days ago I test drove a '01 Avensis Diesel D4D thingy, took off like a rocket in 2nd gear but was otherwise a horrible thing to endure.

Looking at the carzone/cbg websites it seems they go on to do absolutely crazy mileage, that's a commodity these days in fairness. I can understand the Fiat and Renault bashing, but Toyota?? Reeks of badge snobbery tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

My point exactly. Proper Audi or crap Porsche??? Proper Audi please:D

Well I think anyone with an ounce of sense would choose a Boxster over any Audi, bar the R8.
    At least with Porsche you have slightly more than a jumped up VW, for the moment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Avensis are mediocre cars at best, full stop. If you like them or own one you have low standards and are too easily pleased. You may be happy, but everybody else knows the error of your ways.

You may be happy, but everybody else knows the error of your ways.
    Bit like catholicism wha :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Avensis are mediocre cars at best, full stop. If you like them or own one you have low standards and are too easily pleased. You may be happy, but everybody else knows the error of your ways.

Probably not everyone else to be fair:D:D

That said, not a whole lot of people here, on an IRISH motoring forum have much good to say about them, which IMO, tells a lot

Toyotas are'nt selling all that great in the UK, it has to be mentioned.In particular the auris. My god what a horrible car!! It makes me ashamed to say that the brits are indeed smarter car buyers than us, by a good margin too.They dont have that "base model" car buying culture we seem to have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Savman wrote: »
    Bit like catholicism wha :pac:

:rolleyes:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭kyote00

Boardsies...Boardsies.... more "opinion", broad generalities with no effort made to substantiate them...

(Someone once told me the moon was made of cheese)

1) Avensis are mediocre cars at best: In what aspects are they mediocre ? Compared to what ?

2) If you like them or own one you have low standards and are too easily pleased: that's a amazing interference to make it. Can you substantiate this statement in any way ? How do you measure "standards" ?

3) You may be happy, but everybody else knows the error of your ways: please explain the error of their ways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Probably not everyone else to be fair:D:D

That said, not a whole lot of people here, on an IRISH motoring forum have much good to say about them, which IMO, tells a lot

Toyotas are'nt selling all that great in the UK, it has to be mentioned.In particular the auris. My god what a horrible car!! It makes me ashamed to say that the brits are indeed smarter car buyers than us, by a good margin too.They dont have that "base model" car buying culture we seem to have...

The Auris is one of my least favourite cars of all time - it manages to be worse than the not bad at all Corolla it replaces with that $h!t€ interior and general incompetence and it turns out not to be very reliable either, which defeats the purpose of owning a Toyota.

The Brits like cars far more than we do - as is evident by the fact that the best selling versions of cars in the Avensis size are 2.0 diesels(with decent power outputs too) rather than pint sized 1.6 petrols, and the fact that Europe's largest hot hatchbacks market is in the UK. They won't be going for a 120 bhp A4 diesel either, more like a 170 bhp version.

They also get cars with far higher spec levels than we do, and pint sized engines over there are frowned on - you won't see crappy 1.4 Focuses, Corollas etc - they all go for 1.6s or increasingly diesel.

To be fair you can't blame Toyota for the fact that Irish people invariably go for the worst version in a given car's range, but it would be nice if we got air conditioning in the Auris/Corolla nearly 5 years after the Brits got it, and I would also like if Toyota stopped removing vital items of safety equipment specifically for Ireland, like no curtain airbags in the Corolla Verso even though again this has been standard in the UK since that car came out.

kyote00 wrote: »
    1) Avensis are mediocre cars at best: In what aspects are they mediocre ? Compared to what ?

Any of it's competitors;)

Aspects- have you been reading the thread, bud??:confused:

kyote00 wrote: »
    How do you measure "standards" ?

A short test drive is all it takes.

OK then, if I must spell it out....

They are mediocre in nearly every area compared to nearly every other car in class. I can't be any clearer, anyone who knows their eggs will back me up

2) If you like them or own one you have low standards and are too easily pleased: that's a amazing interference to make it. Can you substantiate this statement in any way ? How do you measure "standards" ?
    You measure standards by looking at quality, what is crap, and what is not. For example a 3 bed semi is generally crap, while an architect designed mansion is not. Which is better? I would say the mansion. And before you go saying aah, so I am comparing an Avensis to a Rolls Royce, no, you don't have to go that far, even a humble Mondeo is superior to the Avensis.

3) You may be happy, but everybody else knows the error of your ways: please explain the error of their ways ?[/QUOTE]
    The error of you ways is you bought a turd when you could have had a swan.

That should clarify things.

A short test drive is all it takes.

That's assuming you haven't come to your senses before you turn the key. A simple slam of the door should be followed by a quick re-opening of it:D

• Advertisement

That's assuming you haven't come to your senses before you turn the key. A simple slam of the door should be followed by a quick re-opening of it:D

Funny you should say that, the door slam sound is actually the only thing I like about it. But you are right, sit in one and there are zero surprise and delight features. Anyway, it is an old car at this stage and things have moved on. Car makers now know that people expect more, the question is whether Avensis 2 delivers, and judging by what I have seen so far, especially the interior shots, it does not.

Advertisement