Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis, yuk.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I like the Avensis, (Mk II) nice driver nippy enough for city driving, styling could be a little better, and one BIG annoyance with it is no centre arm rest as standard.

This is the Avensis we're talking about, and your problem with it is no armrest? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The Rover 75 WAS the only desirable car in the Avensis class size/price.
    I have been in my mates avensis, and it was a dull dull place to be.

I've heard it all now. The Rover 75 was the greatest sh!t heap I've ever driven. Oh wait, sorry, second. The worst was a Chrysler Neon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Todays Avensis irritation - when you adjust the centre vents, the plastic bends like it is made of liquorice, cheapo. Giving it back today at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I've heard it all now.

People don't like the Avensis because there's bits of plastic that aren't up to standard:eek::rolleyes:?

I can't even think of something to say such is my horror that people think something as minor as the odd bit of plastic is now enough to make a car "bad".

But I suppose that if a car goes wrong, as long as the plastics are OK then it's a "better built" car then is it:rolleyes::pac:?

I would have thought on a forum about cars that its high driving position the lack of feedback through the steering wheel on models with electric power steering and the general overall blandness of the driving experience that is typical of Toyotas in general would be the reasons for the negativity towards the car, but clearly these things don't matter any more and now the measure of how good a car is is the quality of the plastics:rolleyes::eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

E92 wrote: »
    People don't like the Avensis because there's bits of plastic that aren't up to standard:eek::rolleyes:?

There's a bit more to it than that to be fair. How many Avensisisisisis have you put your hard-earned down for;)

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    There's a bit more to it than that to be fair. How many Avensisisisisis have you put your hard-earned down for;)

My old man had one for 2 1/2 years and did 130k km in that period(he now has a 520d which he loves thanks be to God), so I've plenty of experience of that car, and yes it is boooorrring to drive but it is a very good car otherwise.

They don't make Toyotas like they used to though, ours started getting a few rattles and had traction control and air conditioning problems.

The reason I think the Mk3 Mondeo is a much better car is because it is a world away from the Avensis to drive. But not everyone thinks that a good driving experience is important when choosing a car and the Avensis IS a better car than the Mk3 Mondeo in these other areas. The Aura/Strata spec models have horrible seats though, you really need a Luna model, they're a LOT nicer than the basic Aura/Strata spec with all that doom and gloom black plastic. Then again the base version of pretty much every car is $h!t€ so that's a criticism that can be levelled at almost every bog spec car. I do think that Toyota overdo it though on their basic models, like the black plastic gear level and no chrome on the door handles etc does give a cheap feel towards a car.

Naturally the Avensis wouldn't rate besides a Mk4 Mondeo, but then again very few cars are as good as the Mk4 Mondeo so it's hardly surprising.

E92 wrote: »
    I've heard it all now.

Ah now E92, look back at my posts, there is more to it than that, and well you know it. It's just another irritation on top of a load of shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ah now E92, look back at my posts, there is more to it than that, and well you know it. It's just another irritation on top of a load of shortcomings.

Yes obviously you were just adding another of the avensis 'qualities'I will add another, the indicator/ wiper stalks if I remember correctly reminded me a 1970s datsun.and E92, that is in addition to my previous comments as I would never condemn a car for indicator stalks alone. I would comdemn it for the driver seat height though. If I walked into a dealer and sat into my car of choice and the seat was positioned anything like the avensis, I would be walking away. Nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes obviously you were just adding another of the avensis 'qualities'I will add another, the indicator/ wiper stalks if I remember correctly reminded me a 1970s datsun.and E92, that is in addition to my previous comments as I would never condemn a car for indicator stalks alone. I would comdemn it for the driver seat height though. If I walked into a dealer and sat into my car of choice and the seat was positioned anything like the avensis, I would be walking away. Nuts

I find that with Fords, the Focus in particular. Crap driving position, but apparently you're not allowed to criticise the Focus on boards, but it's OK to criticise the Avensis for the same thing?
    And steering feel - the A4 has none. Zero. But boards.ie people think it's a mighty car, whereas the Avensis has no steering feel so it's crap. How does that add up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Biro wrote: »
    I find that with Fords, the Focus in particular. Crap driving position, but apparently you're not allowed to criticise the Focus on boards, but it's OK to criticise the Avensis for the same thing?

You want to knock the Focus, go ahead, although it's not an Avensis rival. Meanwhile, the drivers seat is only the first item in a long list of things wrong with the Avensis.
    And steering feel - the A4 has none. Zero. But boards.ie people think it's a mighty car,

Not an Audi fan, myself.

• Advertisement

I drive a Focus, and it has a far superior driving position to the Avensis, you sit in it, not on it, not that I am comparing them you understand...

Wasn't aiming that at you specifically(I'd have named/quoted you in my post if I wanted to do that:)), but a lot of the criticism by *several* people here is completely OTT.

In a so called "Motors" forum, I would have thought that things like the driving experience would matter, but a disproportionate amount of criticism towards the Toyota is devoted to bad plastics and even keys and indicator stalks. In other words (IMO)there's a lot of nit picking(not saying you specifically, in general I agree with what you've said, I mean I can't understand the myopia that some people have towards Toyota in this country either and nowhere is this more evident than with the Aygo/C1/107 where despite all 3 being practically identical cars, the overwhelming majority go for the Aygo here) going on here and I'm beginning to wonder is this because they secretly think the Avensis is such a good car that they have to resort to trying to find something, anything to criticise the car on because it's a Toyota and most people who are ignorant towards cars think Toyotas are the best thing to arrive in Ireland since we got electricity.

I mean what next? Will we criticise a car because the the steering wheel is 1 mm too wide in diameter or because the number of turns lock to lock is 2.91 instead of 2.9?

It keeps the rain off adequately and I suppose it beats walking to work by a reasonable margin but let's not throw a party because it meets some basic requirements.

Would a more fair reflection be- I was deeply disappointed until I saw the high standard of plastics on the dash and it turned the tide in my mind so that's why I deemed it the victor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It keeps the rain off adequately and I suppose it beats walking to work by a reasonable margin but let's not throw a party because it meets some basic requirements.

Would a more fair reflection be- I was deeply disappointed until I saw the high standard of plastics on the dash and it turned the tide in my mind so that's why I deemed it the victor:D

Kind of describes a Passat as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Wonder what will happen when their owners want to change them? There's millions of them in the country (and almost all that light brown metallic). Due to the high numbers will they trade as well as the previous Toyota's?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Kind of describes a Passat as well though.

Describes an Avensis times infinity;)

(:cool:I think this arguement is over, fellas:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You wish :D

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭kyote00

yes, seems like Toyota is the new Alfa on this forum....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Mr.David wrote: »
    Ya, cos it had a holder for your dentures and slippers :D

You obviously haven't driven a 75 as you forgot to mention the holder for the pipe and hanger for the smoking jacket too:pac:

Advertisement