Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered item online - they cancelled

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ordered 3 items online from play.com and I got a reciept email for my order. Today they contacted me and told me it was mispriced and that the order was cancelled.

Under Irish law would they have to honor the purchase for the quoted price if the ammount hadn't been subtracted from the CC yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

was it the james bond boxset?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Deaddude wrote: »
    Under Irish law would they have to honor the purchase for the quoted price if the ammount hadn't been subtracted from the CC yet?
    To my knowledge the answer is no until they deduct the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nody wrote: »
    To my knowledge the answer is no until they deduct the money.

And even then it can be a bit dodgy. Miss-prices have often come up as a bargain, and more often than not the order is canceled and any money paid refunded. There seems to be very little that can be done to make them honor the sale too.

Given that Play.com operate out of Jersey (outside Ireland and the EU), Irish or EU law will be meaningless to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If you actually bothered to read the e-mail order confirmation that they sent you it states that no contract for sale exists between you and them until they dispatch the item, at which point they will debit your card for the price of the sale

Under the law in the UK and Ireland, a retailer is not actually obliged to sell you anything and you are in fact giving them an invitation to treat which they can accept or reject. This protects shops against accidental staff or IT errors which lead to misprices.

In the case of the James Bond boxset. it was obviously a mis-price as somebody had left out a 9, so the item was priced at £9.99 rather than a more believable £99.99. Anyone who actually tried to pre-order this item, should have known that it was more than likely a mis-price and that they were very unlikely to get it at this price

Advertisement