Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying on line avoiding duties

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am curious as to how much people have spent in line, where they have not paid duty in Ireland. I would be also interested on your opinions as to the effect the extra .5% will have your attitudes. Or do you just buy on line because you feel retailers here are rip off merchants

How much spent on line purchaces avoiding duties this year 7 votes

€0.00 - €100.00
    0% 0 votes
    €100.00 - €250.00
    28% 2 votes
    €250.00 - €500.00
    0% 0 votes
    €500.00 - €1000.00
    57% 4 votes
    over €1000.00
    14% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just buy where ever is cheapest. Doesn't mater if it's here, up North/England or online.

But certain items I'll buy here, even if more expensive, in case they don't work and don't want to have the bother of organising to return something that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have no idea how much I've bought online in the last year, that should have been assessed for VAT, but wasn't. Most of what I buy, and what most people buy (I'd imagine) would either be sourced in the EU, or would be exempt. Any package below 22euro is exempt, anything below about 45 is usually exempted and anything sourced within the EU is already VAT paid.

For everything else, if I get a bill, I pay it, if not, I don't. I've had to pay about 50 euro this year.

The extra 0.5% will not make a lot of difference to me or my attitudes towards buying, either online or locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'd say at least 80 - 90% of my purchases are online as I save a fortune this way. I bought an LCD tv and new amp and speakers from Richersounds online and saved about €1,500 over what I would have paid in this country.

DVD'S, blu rays, games, books etc are sooooooooo much cheaper online. I guess I'm being unpatriotic (ask Brian Lenihan) in not spending thousands more in this country but sod it. I'm getting screwed when I go to the pub, the petrol pumps, restaurants etc so I save money buying online whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

If you buy online from any site (EU Based at least) that sells a significant amount to Ireland (more than about €100k per year I think) they have to be VAT registered here and charge you whatever the Irish rate is. Amazon would be an example that comes to mind.

That's not to say that lots of things aren't cheaper online in spite of the same VAT rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The vast majority of my purchases on-line are because I can't source the goods locally. Most are EU based and no DUty has therefore been "avoided".
    The attitude that we buy on-line because we are getting screwed here and don't want to spend any more money in the state is totally self-defeating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement