Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Containing a stream...

Options
  • 15-10-2008 1:57pm

...a stream runs inside an elevated bank around the garden. Its starting to seep through the bank and I'm afraid the whole thing will burst, so want to lay something along the channel of the stream to contain it. Was thinking of simply cutting large piping in half, or even using gutter pipes (though any I've seen are way too small), but that might look ugly. Could lay concrete I guess. Is there anything, say like concave sections that can be bought in a garden store, that can be laid along the bed of the stream?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Conor74, how big a stream? It it a natural brook or a man-made feature? Have you seen evidence of seepage before now? Does it flood in bad weather? How high is the bank? Is that area of your garden that falls below the level of the stream quite swampy? What have you got planted in that area?

Lots of questions, but you can go to your local garden centre and see what they have in stock and ask their advice any time - if you give us some more info, some of the more experienced landscapers may be better able to provide advice and guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Gabion baskets?

Google is your friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

How would gambions prevent seapage, a bit like expecting a strainer to hold liquid?

Surely a gambion would only be useful to prevent errosion but given the porosity of gambions, pretty useless to prevent seapage?

I've seen gambions used to great effect on retaining embankments etc.

OP - I would without knowing how large and strong the current is, but some temporary diversion of stream would be necessary to permit sealing of embankment, iew use of butyl rubber or sand/cement seal and topdressed in rounded pebble. Ther are also membranes/liners available which would also effectively mak ethe embankment impervious. The advantage of using liners/membranes is that no diversion of stream would be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

How would gambions prevent seapage, a bit like expecting a strainer to hold liquid?

Surely a gambion would only be useful to prevent errosion but given the porosity of gambions, pretty useless to prevent seapage?
    Perhaps your right Sonnenblumen. It depends on the scenario. If the 'seapage' has only occurred now - but not before, how has this occured? ie. has some erosion occured?

Conor74, how big a stream? It it a natural brook or a man-made feature? Have you seen evidence of seepage before now? Does it flood in bad weather? How high is the bank? Is that area of your garden that falls below the level of the stream quite swampy? What have you got planted in that area?

Not big. Live on the side of a hill, with a few houses above and behind me. The houses were built in a boggy area, so guess there's a lot of water running through the area anyway. As the neighbours have developed gardens, water coming onto my site increased. Last year I cut away lots of earth to make a level area for a garden, leaving a steep bank to the rear of the house. In the middle of the bank a channel was made that goes around the garden, but can see water seeping through the bank anyway. The bank runs from about 8 foot high where the water comes into the site, to level with the garden where it leaves the site in the opposite corner. I don't think the flow is big or anything, maybe like a tap left on full. Its not that I'm worried about being swept away in a flood or erosion prevention is an issue, a 'stream' may have been overstating it. But I am afraid that if water builds up under the garden over time it might weaken it and cause a slide of earth, or even structural damage to the house. Maybe I should put up photos to illustrate the area. Will go to the local garden centre alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Maybe I should put up photos to illustrate the area. Will go to the local garden centre alright.
    Photos would help a lot. :-)
    Have you thought of making a feature out of the water flow? You could direct the water to feed a small pond with the overflow from the pond being piped through to the bottom of your site?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement