Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars priced at €1 on Carzone

Options
  • 15-10-2008 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Look! Some good deals to be had on here, especially if you haggle. I reckon you could get some of them down to 80 cents:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&businessID=1672

Seriously though, what's the story with people pricing cars at €1 on Carzone? Are they leaving themselves open to legal action? Is the posting of a misleading price on a website the same offence as if that misleading price was posted on the item itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

fricatus wrote: »
    Seriously though, what's the story with people pricing cars at €1 on Carzone?

They want to appear top of the list when sorting by price, it would put me off instantly.

Why would anyone looking for a cheap car get an 08 Audi A4!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

brb, grabbing 10 cars for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah they need to cut that out, sick of seeing boy-racer POSs topping the list at a couple of hundred grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

At least you can filter it out by putting in a minimum price but the thing that bugs me most is not being able to filer against non vrt cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

bennyc wrote: »
    At least you can filter it out by putting in a minimum price but the thing that bugs me most is not being able to filer against non vrt cars.

+1 them no VRT paying (private selling) pikies should be weeded out one by one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

notice how it's all dealers that are doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I hate the way some put in a price per week if you were to take Finance with them VRT is really annoying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

steve06 wrote: »
    notice how it's all dealers that are doing it!

Noel Thurley autosales - seems to be the main one, advertising yourself as a complete changer and short-cut artist can't be good can it???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone rung them up and asked to buy it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Nice. Way to beat the recession!

For €1 I'll take it.

Surly, if you advertised it for €1 on ebay and you won the bid, they would legally have to see it to you for that price, whats the difference here?

I bought a webcam in PC and it was advertised at something like €12.99 (can't remember exactly) but it rang up at about €29.99, but when I shown her the price it should have been, they had to sell it to me for that price, at €12.99!

SOOOOO... that'll be one Auid A4 S-Line... I only have a €2 coin, do you have change? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

DanGlee wrote: »
    Nice. Way to beat the recession!

For €1 I'll take it.

Surly, if you advertised it for €1 on ebay and you won the bid, they would legally have to see it to you for that price, whats the difference here?

I bought a webcam in PC and it was advertised at something like €12.99 (can't remember exactly) but it rang up at about €29.99, but when I shown her the price it should have been, they had to sell it to me for that price, at €12.99!

SOOOOO... that'll be one Auid A4 S-Line... I only have a €2 coin, do you have change? :D

Legally they didn't have to sell it at that price yet as no transaction had yet taken place, or some such nonsense I read about on the Consumer Issues forum :/

I would imagine the same would hold true here. However surely this is false advertising?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the difference is that it's an invitation to treat and if you accept the invitation, then the dealer has to accept the payment before it's legally binding!

With an auction the final outcome is legally binding - although a few year ago I won an auction on a car at Merlin and when I went in to pay a while later I was told that the guy didn't like the price so he took the car and left. And I'd met the reserve too!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

anyone rung them up and asked to buy it ?
    I sent one a mail saying "One euro? I'll buy it!" Blackguard never got back to me.
    Perhaps carzone should just ban dealers idiots that try to work around the system like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Carzone are just greedy. They will continue to list cars with silly €1 prices, non vrt'd and POA as long as sellers pay for it.

It's not in their [carzone] interest to not accept ad's regardless of what the price or listing is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

You get a funny responce when you call them and offer to buy the car :D for the euro of course.

Advertisement