Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow UPC/NTL Broadband Order Rant

Options
  • 15-10-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I placed an online order for Chorus/NTL/UPC cable broadband in early August. Today (two and a half months later) I got this response:
    Thank you for your online order. Unfortunately not all products you requested are available at your address. We can provide you with Digital Television but the Broadband service is not currently available. When your area is upgrade to Broadband you will receive written notification from us.

Would you like to proceed with your TV order? If so, please contact us and we will schedule in the installation for the nearest available date.

Regards

Chorus ntl Online Sales
    The online utility told me it was available in my area back when I placed the order. I understand that it can't be 100% accurate but does it have to take 10 weeks to tell me this?

As well as that, the From: address in the email is Upc_ie@mphasis.com. Can they not even get it sorted to use their own domain instead of some consultancy firm's address? Why not give up altogether and go with upc_rocks_2008@hotmail.com?!

Luckily, I twigged that the UPC order would be doomed to failure back at the end of August after a few phonecalls to their customer 'service' cowboys. Since then I have ordered a new Eircom line, had it installed, ordered Smart Broadband and had that activated all within the time it took these jokers to compose this semi-literate response.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

eoinshan wrote: »
    I placed an online order for Chorus/NTL/UPC cable broadband in early August. Today (two and a half months later) I got this response:
    -- quoted text cut --
    As well as that, the From: address in the email is Upc_ie@mphasis.com. Can they not even get it sorted to use their own domain instead of some consultancy firm's address?

Just got a similar response from the same crowd (Upc_ie@mphasis.com) posing as UPC, but thankfully only 3 days later. However, while my confirmation email and printout (thankfully I have one) said "Total once off cost €0.00" these jokers want to extract €25 from me ...
    Thank you for your online order for Upgraded Digital value for 20€, Broadband Value for 22€ & a Phone service for 5€, a 25€ Connection fee applied for Upgrade from Cable TV to Digital value, this has now been processed. The services you requested are all available at your address.
    I suspect I'll be cancelling the DD very soon and then starting the slow process of getting my money back. They're not getting inside my door til they gimme back my €25.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

novice wrote: »
    Just got a similar response from the same crowd (Upc_ie@mphasis.com) posing as UPC, but thankfully only 3 days later. However, while my confirmation email and printout (thankfully I have one) said "Total once off cost €0.00" these jokers want to extract €25 from me ...

I suspect I'll be cancelling the DD very soon and then starting the slow process of getting my money back. They're not getting inside my door til they gimme back my €25.

Did they dd you without advance notice? If so you should make a complaint to your bank and ask the bank to reverse the dd. make a complaint to ipso (www.ipso.ie) if the bank refuse to cooperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

Looks like Mphasis handle all upc online queries, they are based in india and handle stuff for microsoft,Novell, Oracle and IBM etc, Certainly discourages Me from ever doing a query online, Then again I always prefer to have a Name for The person Giving Me information.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

Looks like Mphasis handle all upc online queries, they are based in India and handle stuff for microsoft, Novell, Oracle, IBM, etc, Certainly discourages me from ever doing a query online, Then again I always prefer to have a name for the person giving Me information.

I sent several emails to UPC (both sales@upc.ie and the India address) asking about the connection charge and never got a reply, and sent an email cancelling my order. Still no reply.

I then rang 1908 and they told me I would have to pay, and that my invoice for zero connection fee was a mistake, so I told them to cancel too.

Guess what - I got a card in the door the day after the scheduled connection date to say UPC had called.

After a few more conversations and a visit I got connected without the extra fee. Also learned that the folks on the call centre number (1908) don't have access to the online database, so although I entered my contact details online the 1908 folks can't see them. And they seem to be in competition too - I was asked to put my order over the phone so the business doesn't go to "another company."

Still one problem - my €20 credit never arrived yet - the DD might still be cancelled.

Why does everything with these companies take a dozen calls and an hour online to sort out?

Advertisement