Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIMI stepping out of line?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It would have to be concrete.

What about all the new cars that enter the country unregistered and are held in stock and sometimes testdriven before they're registered?

They'd all come under the same umbrella as the UK imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't dealers have to have the value of the VRT of the unregistered cars on their forecourts in an account, or is that an urban myth?

I always thought that it was illegal, for both trade and private people, to sell cars in this country that are unregistered here. Again, is this an urban myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

Is SIMI just out to help garages or the public?

Fey! wrote: »
    I always thought that it was illegal, for both trade and private people, to sell cars in this country that are unregistered here.

Every new car in Ireland is unregistered until someone buys it. It's illegal to drive a car on public roads without a registration number, it's certainly not illegal to own or sell one (what about racetrack-only cars etc.?).

NoSummer wrote: »
    Is SIMI just out to help garages or the public?

That depends on your perspective really. They would say they help the public by helping maintain standards in garages etc.
    Many here wouldn't agree with that view and feel the SIMI is just a lobbying body representing the vested interests of the Irish dealer network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

while I think people should be paying the VRT legally due i don't think its a wise move for SIMI dealers to be going around shopping people to Revenue.

Its unlikely to do them any favours with goodwill in the community especially in smaller towns and rural areas.

In the end people will just pay the VRT and/or penalties, it wont do the dealer any good but will cause hassle.

can only imagine the reaction if people started sending details of cars they bought to the Revenue so that they could check tax affairs of dealers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭sk8board

Heres the letter, was in this weeks Irish Times motoring supplement, front page:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/1015/1223988031202.html

THE SOCIETY of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) has called on car dealers to gather details of locals driving UK-registered vehicles, so they can be given to the Garda and Revenue officials.

In an e-mail sent last week, dealers were asked to direct staff to take note of vehicles with UK plates, driven by Irish residents.

Vehicles imported to the Republic should be registered and vehicle registration tax (VRT) paid by the end of the next working day. However, Revenue allows people up to a week to register. Driving an imported vehicle outside those terms can lead to the impounding of the vehicle, with fines and penalties for the driver.

Revenue rejects the suggestion it is not enforcing regulations. However, SIMI estimates the Government is losing out on between €50 million and €100 million annually due to people failing to pay VRT and road tax. The e-mail began: "We are sick and tired of seeing Irish residents driving UK cars on which VRT, road tax, etc, has not been paid." It went on to decry what it called a "continued lack of enforcement".

"We want to collect information . . . to illustrate the level of the problem. We will forward this information to the appointed official . . . with a demand for action and feedback . . ." The e-mail was signed, simply, "Tom, Director SIMI".

SIMI chief executive Alan Nolan confirmed the e-mail was genuine and said "Tom" was Tom Cullen, director of corporate affairs. Asked if SIMI was asking car dealers and their staff to spy on the public, Mr Nolan said the body would make "no apology" for the e-mail.

But Revenue has rejected what it said was "the suggestion that we haven't enforced the VRT regulations . . . Up to the end of August . . . we had challenged over 12,000 cars. In 72 per cent of these cases the registration was satisfactory. For the balance we issued 2,748 written warnings, imposed 673 compromise penalties totalling €716,090 and obtained 18 convictions with court fines amounting to €18,295.

"Monitoring VRT compliance is part of our day-to-day compliance activity. It is supplemented from time to time by major targeted compliance operations," the body said in a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sk8board wrote: »
    Heres the letter, was in this weeks Irish Times motoring supplement, front page:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/1015/1223988031202.html

THE SOCIETY of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) has called on car dealers to gather details of locals driving UK-registered vehicles, so they can be given to the Garda and Revenue officials.

In an e-mail sent last week, dealers were asked to direct staff to take note of vehicles with UK plates, driven by Irish residents.

Vehicles imported to the Republic should be registered and vehicle registration tax (VRT) paid by the end of the next working day. However, Revenue allows people up to a week to register. Driving an imported vehicle outside those terms can lead to the impounding of the vehicle, with fines and penalties for the driver.

Revenue rejects the suggestion it is not enforcing regulations. However, SIMI estimates the Government is losing out on between €50 million and €100 million annually due to people failing to pay VRT and road tax. The e-mail began: "We are sick and tired of seeing Irish residents driving UK cars on which VRT, road tax, etc, has not been paid." It went on to decry what it called a "continued lack of enforcement".

"We want to collect information . . . to illustrate the level of the problem. We will forward this information to the appointed official . . . with a demand for action and feedback . . ." The e-mail was signed, simply, "Tom, Director SIMI".

SIMI chief executive Alan Nolan confirmed the e-mail was genuine and said "Tom" was Tom Cullen, director of corporate affairs. Asked if SIMI was asking car dealers and their staff to spy on the public, Mr Nolan said the body would make "no apology" for the e-mail.

But Revenue has rejected what it said was "the suggestion that we haven't enforced the VRT regulations . . . Up to the end of August . . . we had challenged over 12,000 cars. In 72 per cent of these cases the registration was satisfactory. For the balance we issued 2,748 written warnings, imposed 673 compromise penalties totalling €716,090 and obtained 18 convictions with court fines amounting to €18,295.

"Monitoring VRT compliance is part of our day-to-day compliance activity. It is supplemented from time to time by major targeted compliance operations," the body said in a statement.

This is absolutely typical of the SIMI. Instead of looking inwards for problems that are obstructing vehicle sales, the first thing they do is look outwards.

Also, I don't you would find it within the job description of any SIMI member employee, to take instructions with regard to this specific request to rat on their neighbours.

This whole request is very obviously being driven by an SIMI member who is really feeling the effects of the recession and could be experiencing trading difficulties, which is grand, but don't take it out on the public...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Also, I don't you would find it within the job description of any SIMI member employee, to take instructions with regard to this specific request to rat on their neighbours.

I haven't spoken to a single ground-level employee who either thought this was a good idea or who contributed to it voluntarily.

It didn't go down very well among my contacts anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

The action advocated by SIMI is illegal under the Data Protection Act. And, how will they be able to tell if it's an English person driving their car over here on holidays? :confused:

I can see it now:
    Dealer: Sir, are you on holidays?
    Guy in a Honda Accord with caravan in tow: Yeah why?
    Dealer: No reason, carry on...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Hmmm reminds me of a Fascist regime that made a similar request 70 odd years ago...Nobody like's VRT! but statements like this IMO have Fascist overtones...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

AudiChris wrote: »
    That depends on your perspective really. They would say they help the public by helping maintain standards in garages etc.
    Many here wouldn't agree with that view and feel the SIMI is just a lobbying body representing the vested interests of the Irish dealer network.

well it is mainly the main dealer network who pay the majority of its income...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The action advocated by SIMI is illegal under the Data Protection Act.

In what way ?

Any individual can copy down a bunch of regs and send them to the Guards, Revenue, Cartell or a little black book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭sk8board

nothing illegal about this at all. Its not nice, but its not illegal. Any BMW dealer watching 'Customs' on RTe this evening was a little happier to see one more guy stumping up the 25k VRT and fine.

My guess is that they are going to submit a list of reg's to the guards and then the guards can use them in the newly kitted out Traffic Corps cars with the car-reg recognition cameras which flag suspect reg's.

theres nothing else they can do, unles they also submit addresses where they see a for example 320d parked in the drive/office car-park for a few weeks, and see if the customs come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Personally I am against the VRT as i see it as a double tax. What other country still charges import duty on cars from another EU state ??? But it seems that this scheme is bringing millions of euros to the Gov so stopping it would be a huge loss to them - which I'm sure they get somewhere else otherwise. But the couple of times I bought my cars in the UK I paid the fees because it's the law - I really don't agree with it and it annoyes me each time I part with my hard earned money to pay the VRT but I do. So I don't see why many of us do while others get away with not paying.

I don't agree with the practice descrived in the article and would leave the garda and customs do their work but I'm sure they are other ways at their disposal to achieve the same without going to the extend listed in the article. Furthermore what about the genuine NI or UK driver who's only here for hols or a few days for business - how do you distinguish them ? the practice in the article - if followed by dealers - would increase admin time unnecessarily instead of time officers could spend on the road.

And to finish I just found out that if you import a car registered in another country pre July 1st 08 the VRT is based on the CO2 which is fine but the roadtax is based on the old CC scheme which is a lot more expensive if you buy a co2 friendly car - if the SIMI were truly serious about making steps to reduce our CO2 emission they would also based the roadtax on the CO2. So is that another money making scheme !!! did this go through the net or is it a mistake ???

parsi wrote: »
    In what way ?

Any individual can copy down a bunch of regs and send them to the Guards, Revenue, Cartell or a little black book.

They are planning to collect information on private citizens (number plates, addresses, type of car etc), and then pass it onto government agencies. I assume they will be registering with the Data Protection Commissioner then as required by law....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slaacer wrote: »
    Personally I am against the VRT as i see it as a double tax. What other country still charges import duty on cars from another EU state ???
    It's not an import duty, it's a registration tax (i.e. if you don't use the car on public roads, you don't pay it!), and by the way both Holland and Denmark do it as well, and at higher rates than Ireland (it's over 100% for luxury cars in Denmark IIRC). There may be others too, I seem to recall Malta had a pretty high one as well.

They are planning to collect information on private citizens (number plates, addresses, type of car etc), and then pass it onto government agencies. I assume they will be registering with the Data Protection Commissioner then as required by law....

You don't need to register with the Data Protection Commissioner before calling the Garda confidential number to report a dangerous driver, how would this be any different?
    They'll collect information in the public domain (e.g. the location and registration of a vehicle) and when they collate the information they'll pass it to the Revenue/Customs. They're not holding any sensitive or private information on any driver.
    Legally I'd expect it's the motor equivalent of train-spotting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Most european countries have VRT (16 out of 25). It is due to be abolished across the EU by 2016. Motor taxes will then probably go up a lot (usage based if possible).

AudiChris wrote: »
    You don't need to register with the Data Protection Commissioner before calling the Garda confidential number to report a dangerous driver, how would this be any different?
    They'll collect information in the public domain (e.g. the location and registration of a vehicle) and when they collate the information they'll pass it to the Revenue/Customs. They're not holding any sensitive or private information on any driver.
    Legally I'd expect it's the motor equivalent of train-spotting...

Totally diffeerent scenario. One is a private citizen and the other is a corporate entity. That's the difference which means the latter is subject to the Data Protection Act. And, of course they are collecting private information.....

If such information is not so private, then why don't you ao anyone else post up details of their car/location here on boards....

And, that's leaving aside the fact that how would they know which cars are tourists, people kliving in the North etc. The SIMI should concentrate on getting their ow house in order and let the Guards/customs get on with their job.

• Advertisement

Totally diffeerent scenario. One is a private citizen and the other is a corporate entity. That's the difference which means the latter is subject to the Data Protection Act. And, of course they are collecting private information.....

I'm not a Data Protection expert, so I'll defer to you if you are.
    I would think that the SIMI consider themselves to be collating data in the public domain rather than collecting private information, but maybe they're not Data Protection experts either...:p
    If such information is not so private, then why don't you ao anyone else post up details of their car/location here on boards....

My car is 08D61136, it's parked in the Bachelor's Walk underground carpark.

You can call the VRO, they won't tell you who it's registered to.
    I won't tell you where I live.
    You'll find the make and model on cartell.ie.
    If you were walking around my carpark you'd also know the colour and the carpark space number.
    You'd also walk out with the registrations of about 200 other cars in the carpark. I'm not sure what good that information would do you though...
    And, that's leaving aside the fact that how would they know which cars are tourists, people kliving in the North etc.

Absolutely, this is a flaw in the plan that will be hard to navigate around.
    The SIMI should concentrate on getting their ow house in order and let the Guards/customs get on with their job.

Advertisement