Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with getting a mortgage

Options
  • 15-10-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

With the country in a recession, how is house buyers finding it in a getting a mortgage, or are buyers even thinking of buying now? Is there many problems facing house buyers in a getting a morgage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

TBH apart from no one doing 100% mortgages and the loan to value changing the banks are very open to lending people money. I've had people giving out to me regarding the lack of 100% mortgages, and the papers blame the bank. People still want 100% mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Yes one can still get a mortgage but they might not lend as much. They have differing criteria based on your occupation, industry etc. One of the problems is valuations. I have seen a number of loans recently scuppered by valuers where they have valued properties a lot lower than in previous months.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

im i right in saying if you are in the construction, finance, banking industries and probable more , your chance of getting a mortgage would be slim due to the uncertainty hanging over your industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

People still want 100% mortgages
    Those people should cop on and start saving up a decent deposit..

All the while sitting back and watching prices fall all around them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

im i right in saying if you are in the construction, finance, banking industries and probable more , your chance of getting a mortgage would be slim due to the uncertainty hanging over your industry?

Nope, thats rubbish.

You get looked at as an individual not as part of the industry you work in.

• Advertisement

if lenders not giving 100% mortgages, what is the most they are willing to loan out now?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The most I've heard of now is 90%, I think that was with IIB or something. I know a lot of banks are only doing 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Toots85 wrote: »
    The most I've heard of now is 90%, I think that was with IIB or something. I know a lot of banks are only doing 80%.

IIB still doing 92% afaik, AIB still doing 90 odd per cent loans also although I've been told it's mainly professionals that get that rate from them.

is interests rates at the present time good or bad?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

IIB still doing 92% afaik, AIB still doing 90 odd per cent loans also although I've been told it's mainly professionals that get that rate from them.

Yeah, I think most places seem to be quoting on a case by case basis. My sister in law is looking for a mortgage at the moment and she's finding most places are saying 80-85%, then that they can possibly appeal for more depending on how strong an application they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement