Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar: Has anyone got Digiweb Metro yet??

Options
  • 15-10-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I am at the moment with imagine now i have no prblem with them only i tried changing my package with them today and they wanted me to start a new 12 month contrac im actually only changing from "up to 7.6mb" broadband which i cant get due to being to far from exchange to "up to 3mb" which has been ok for me but i would really like to go faster and im wondering has anyone been brave enough to try Digiweb Metro in mullingar as this seems to be the only way to go faster (other than move house of course)
    So in conclusions does anyone have any thoughts or experence of Digiweb Metro in mullingar or something faster than 3mb

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

e21man wrote: »
    I am at the moment with imagine now i have no prblem with them only i tried changing my package with them today and they wanted me to start a new 12 month contrac im actually only changing from "up to 7.6mb" broadband which i cant get due to being to far from exchange to "up to 3mb" which has been ok for me but i would really like to go faster and im wondering has anyone been brave enough to try Digiweb Metro in mullingar as this seems to be the only way to go faster (other than move house of course)
    So in conclusions does anyone have any thoughts or experence of Digiweb Metro in mullingar or something faster than 3mb

Thanks

Hey e21man -

I would imagine that there would be no difference. Wouldn't Digiweb be using the same lines and exchange (I'm assuming that this is a fixed line service).

If its not a fixed line service its not something that I would go for if I were you as the pings on fix wireless/ satellite connections can be insane in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

iRock wrote: »
    Hey e21man -

I would imagine that there would be no difference. Wouldn't Digiweb be using the same lines and exchange (I'm assuming that this is a fixed line service).

If its not a fixed line service its not something that I would go for if I were you as the pings on fix wireless/ satellite connections can be insane in my experience.

The OP is referring to the Digiweb Metro which is totally independant to Eircom's phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

thanks for the reply no i was thinking maybe the wireless metro its the fastest ive seen that i can get, sadly my telephones line aint up to scratch to far from the exchange so i thought wireless was the way to go unless someone decides to rip up my road to put some fibre optic down or build an exchange next to my house lol.
    so you think wireless aint worth it than so in the future what can i get ????
    or is that the million dollar question of late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

im in Mullingar also, its weird though as they had metro available there on their website last year and removed it for a while and its back again now

I have mates that use Metro and it seems very good( obviously completely depending on line of sight to the mast which is on top of the post office in Mullingar ), my mates get low pings and the speeds are great. The guys i know that have it arent living in Mullingar though

I also have the same problem with distance from exchange and only synch at 4096/386 so id be interested in checking this out

Hi lmimmfn,
    i only noticed metro was in mullingar when i called them about testing my line to see how fast my line could go she said they could offer me 6mb thats when she told me about metro someone behind me has it i think, was gonna ask them(i live in greenpark) im hoping my line of sight is ok, didnt relalise the mast was on the post office now i really might go for it. only thing that puts me off is the upload speed if that is off at all i dont want to be uploding at 5kbs :D.
    are your friends who have it far from town do you know what kinda speeds there getting??.
    by the way im only syncing at 3074/384 cant go any higher which is a pain considering im paying for "up to 7.6mb" and imagine wont let me downgrade without starting a new 12 month contract frustrating as hell:mad:

• Advertisement

hi,
    6Mb isint bad on metro if youre only getting 3Mb now, metro is over the air btw so digiweb shouldnt be testing your line for that, are you sure its metro and not dsl they were talking about?
    If you can get metro it should also improve your pings,i would say your pings are crappy now also after the exchange was upgraded( i.e. considering mine are 50ms to boards.i.e and im in Ardilaun which is closer to the exchange, my attenuation is 50, the exchange is roundabouts the train station ), im with utv and for the moment i dont mind paying for upto 7.6mb as i download at 430kbytes/sec.

Metros upload speed is upto 512mbit which would be higher than the 386mbit i presume you have now. Remember though that trees and crap can interfere, so id make sure there are none in your way.

The guys i know that use metro have it in letterkenny and athlone and theyre very happy with it, pings are around 20ms to uk servers, they wouldnt be very far from the masts though( dont have exact distances but would be closer than you are from the postoffice )

Imagine shouldnt be doing that regarding the 12month contract, if youre paying for something you cant get then you shouldnt have to renew your contract to fix that problem. Contact Imagine again with that information and if they completely refuse contact comreg. While comreg are useless its the fact that youve done that should push Imagine to allow you to downgrade without a new contract( i got this tested in my previous address in mullingar with utv and they were ok with me downgrading if i wanted it witout a new contract )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlike HSDPA or EDGE or RipWave, the mast distance makes no difference to Metro ping time. If the signal is good enough, it works, otherwise usually it's not installed.

thanks for the replys im rreally leaning towards metro to be honest but there is this bad feeling im gonna get caught with terrible speeds.
    Yea its metro alright because she said that its wireless broadband she said she has it she said its great lmao of course she has it of course its great:D
    Actually were do those first nice people go when you first call to get setup on a new isp they seem to disappear?:D
    regarding imagine there phone tactics are amazing they know nothing about what there selling i had a one girl telling me she know s nothing a bout the packages and all those and i quote "megabyte things" i was telling her i wanted to downgrade but they keep saying your paying for this that and the other they confuse the life outta yea infairness support were helpfull the first fella was the second one hadnt a clue what i was talking about this is support now she should know the deal with line attention but she didnt and than referred me to customer service who refers you to support and the never ending cycle continues lol.

as far as i remember with metro, you pay 80 if the guy calls out and figures it doesnt work properly( a guy was supposed to call out at my old address 16 months ago, still waiting, lol ) instead of being locked into a contract, so test it there and then while the guys there and if youre not happy tell him to take the lot with him( maybe make sure you keep your current BB until thats sorted )

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have just ordered 6mb Metro in Navan after mulling over it for two years, a number of my neighbors have it.

Digiweb were pleasant over the hpne and told me that in my area there is a 71% success rate they even listed the house numbers that have it working.

I will be keeping my existing BB until Metro is installed, the reason for the change is that since the exchange was upgraded my connection has gone to hell. I've been downgraded to a flimsy 1mb connection instead of being upgraded to 3mb.

Anyway the I should ahbve it installed in 10-15 days, Digiweb don't give you a specific install date rather they call you 3 days beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

lmimmfn wrote: »
    im in Mullingar also, its weird though as they had metro available there on their website last year and removed it for a while and its back again now

I have mates that use Metro and it seems very good( obviously completely depending on line of sight to the mast which is on top of the post office in Mullingar ), my mates get low pings and the speeds are great. The guys i know that have it arent living in Mullingar though

I also have the same problem with distance from exchange and only synch at 4096/386 so id be interested in checking this out

The Digiweb transmitter in Mullingar is actually located in Forest Park Industrial Estate in the ESB Substation, to the south west of the town.I had a site survey in Austin Friars Street in the centre of town and could not get a good enough signal. The engineer said it is a very bad location for the transmission site and only a small part of the town has clear line of sight.

The Digiweb transmitter in Mullingar is actually located in Forest Park Industrial Estate in the ESB Substation, to the south west of the town.I had a site survey in Austin Friars Street in the centre of town and could not get a good enough signal. The engineer said it is a very bad location for the transmission site and only a small part of the town has clear line of sight.
    Jebus, Digiweb need to get their house in order, they told me last year it was at the post office in town. Thats actually south east( down by the train station ) as im in the south west, dunno if id even get a signal from where i am as thats lower than the sourrounding area

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Maybe it moved or maybe that was a different Digiweb system?

yea thats seems like a bad place the way mullingar is with hills they should of opted for higher ground i really wanna go with digiweb my pings times with imagine are 90 this upgrade has been nothing but hassle up to 7.6mb my ar*e gonna give digiweb a call see if i can sort out an enigneer for befor xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Jebus, Digiweb need to get their house in order, they told me last year it was at the post office in town. Thats actually south east( down by the train station ) as im in the south west, dunno if id even get a signal from where i am as thats lower than the sourrounding area

Its a good bit further down than the train station, ( Google Maps 53.512546,-7.371) just off the Athlone Road. The Engineer said they only have successful installs in western end of town, ie: Patrick Street, Ardeligh,Green Park areas and in the immediate Mullingar Buisness Park Area. Id imagine you should also get it in the Ballinderry & Lynn areas too as the site is not far off the Tullamore road as the crow flies.

Im in greenpark meadows i have noticed someone behind me has what looks like wireless internet on there roof.
    im gonna go for it see how i get on because im really getting sick of my pings times and the fact that my telephone line cant go higher than 3mb due to distance from exchange

Its a good bit further down than the train station, ( Google Maps 53.512546,-7.371) just off the Athlone Road. The Engineer said they only have successful installs in western end of town, ie: Patrick Street, Ardeligh,Green Park areas and in the immediate Mullingar Buisness Park Area. Id imagine you should also get it in the Ballinderry & Lynn areas too as the site is not far off the Tullamore road as the crow flies.
    Ahh right i see it now( further south than i thought ), im just north of that in Ardleigh area. That seriously has to be one of the stupidest places to put it in town lol

lmimmfn,

I had to walk to get the train this morning for work i noticed 4 wireless antennas in greenpark avenue (i think its called that )all pointing towards the bridge when i got to the forest park industrial estate there is a massive group of aerials or aerial i dont know what you call it transmitter?? anyway its behind arramount furnature store so im more than sure i can get it due to the people behind me having it.
    are you really far back in ardleigh thats you cant get it??
    the worst thing about mullingar is the way its laid out they should put the transmitter on top of market point best place for it lol

Advertisement