Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning languages for the hearing impaired?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm partially deaf and I have great difficulty in learning new languages as I need to lip read, as well as read from a book, what someone is saying before it will make any sense to me. Classroom situations don't suit me as I can't hear what's going on in crowded situations, although 3/4 people are ok.

I was wondering are there any resources such as DVD/Book learning (CDs/tapes are no good to me re lip reading). I looked into private lessons, but they are astronomically expensive (€65/hr with a minimum commitment of 20 hrs!!!)!

Any thoughts/information on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 irishdeafkids

Hi there,

When i was learning spanish 2 years ago, i found DVDs a great help - not always language-focused DVDs, but mainstream films with subtitles. (i'm the same as you with language learning, need to lipread & read books)

For the basics eg, grammar, try this website, http://www.spanish-bookworld.com/index.html and maybe check if DVDs have subtitles :)

Obviously audio or podcasts wouldn't be great but customer service might advise on identifying suitable products - email to explain your needs anyhow, so they know who's out there & what's needed - my approach!

Good luck with it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

Hi there,

When i was learning spanish 2 years ago, i found DVDs a great help - not always language-focused DVDs, but mainstream films with subtitles. (i'm the same as you with language learning, need to lipread & read books)

For the basics eg, grammar, try this website, http://www.spanish-bookworld.com/index.html and maybe check if DVDs have subtitles :)

Obviously audio or podcasts wouldn't be great but customer service might advise on identifying suitable products - email to explain your needs anyhow, so they know who's out there & what's needed - my approach!

Good luck with it ...

Great, Thanks a mill, I'll try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

Ever think of learning Irish Sign Language? Whilst its not a foreign language as such, its a useful skill and with already being hard of hearing - it might be an area you might be interested in..

www.deaf.ie run classes

vines wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm partially deaf and I have great difficulty in learning new languages as I need to lip read, as well as read from a book, what someone is saying before it will make any sense to me. Classroom situations don't suit me as I can't hear what's going on in crowded situations, although 3/4 people are ok.

I was wondering are there any resources such as DVD/Book learning (CDs/tapes are no good to me re lip reading). I looked into private lessons, but they are astronomically expensive (€65/hr with a minimum commitment of 20 hrs!!!)!

Any thoughts/information on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look up German. After I had started secondary, I found out that I should've taken up German instead of French, as people with hearing difficulties seemingly found German handier. But by this stage, I was one month in, and would be unable to swap.

W@nkers :mad:

But yeah, look into doing German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭vines

the_syco wrote: »
    Look up German. After I had started secondary, I found out that I should've taken up German instead of French, as people with hearing difficulties seemingly found German handier. But by this stage, I was one month in, and would be unable to swap.

W@nkers :mad:

But yeah, look into doing German.

Thanks for that, I've heard that alright although I reckon Spanish is a more useful language, so I battle on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement