Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin City Navigator NT Europe 2009 is out

• 15-10-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

You can buy it online for download at garmin shop

Version 2009 features include:

* now with full coverage for Baltic countries (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia)
    * over 8 million km of road coverage
    * more than 1.2 million POIs, including campsites for western Europe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Downloading as we speak ... only 2.5GB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Alun wrote: »
    Downloading as we speak ... only 2.5GB :)

Cool. Let us know major differences wrt 2008.

Does it have N11 Gorey bypass and M6 from Tyrrellspass to Athlone

IrlJidel wrote: »

38 minutes to go :) I'll report back once I have it installed.

N11 Gorey bypass is on there, but as far as the N6 goes, only the bit from Tyrrellspass to the junction with the N52 at Kilbeggan (?) is in there.

I'm less than impressed to be honest. Out of the 5 (local to me) map updates I sent to Navteq back in December 2007 when I first got my nuvi 760, only one has actually made it onto the updated maps. The other 4 are showing in Navteq's MapReporter as having been surveyed by a Navteq rep and put into the database, as per July 2008, but are still flagged as "Pending verification" whatever that may mean.

I really think it's about time Navteq / Garmin re-examined their whole modus operandi when it comes to map updates. I know it takes time to put these things into production, but this really is beginning to get a bit silly.

Also note that this version (apparently) is only for updating a GPS, it won't install the maps into an already installed version of Mapsource for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Also note that this version (apparently) is only for updating a GPS, it won't install the maps into an already installed version of Mapsource for some reason.

Hmm, maybe you can. According to a thread on geocachingireland ,

"I got onto Garmin. They say "Yes!" it does install the maps to Mapsource. If you don't have Mapsource there's a thing called Mapinstall that can be used to view and install the maps."

• Advertisement

Hmm, maybe you can. According to a thread on geocachingireland ,

"I got onto Garmin. They say "Yes!" it does install the maps to Mapsource. If you don't have Mapsource there's a thing called Mapinstall that can be used to view and install the maps."
    I have Mapsource (and Mapinstall), but it didn't install the maps anywhere that I can see, and when the installation ran it very briefly flashed up "Installing to the PC" or something like that for a fraction of a second, and then went on to building the .img file and downloading it to the unit. At the very end it displayed something about there having been some errors during installation (but not what!), and there was also an equally unhelpful event in the Event Viewer, but that's it.

I've fired off an email to Garmin, but haven't heard back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I bought my GPS in July this year (255W), will I be able to get this update for free?

I haven't registered it yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I bought a Nuvi 760 just about 2/3 months ago, haven't done any online updating or anything, would like to know if I can get this for free too :pac:

Can you get just 1 update for free? If not much has improved, I may be better off waiting for the next update and get that for free instead :)

cormie wrote: »
    I bought a Nuvi 760 just about 2/3 months ago, haven't done any online updating or anything, would like to know if I can get this for free too :pac:

Can you get just 1 update for free? If not much has improved, I may be better off waiting for the next update and get that for free instead :)
    I read somewhere that they were going to start going by the unit's first fix time and date rather than from when you registered it, which would put the kibosh on people waiting on registering their units to avail of map updates. There is something on their website about their new map guarantee scheme ...

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/cache/offonce/lang/en/uk/mappingsolutions/numapsguarantee

... and as mentioned, it would appear that you have to have registered it online within 60 days of the first fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Bah, just connected up and got a firmware update alright. But I'm not eligible for the map update. It gave me a €10 voucher to use in their shop but it doesn't apply to map updates.

Ah well.

It's 79.99 for the 2009 update.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Alun, that's a bit annoying, I think, not sure if I got my "fix" yet at all..

Anyway, I wish if they were to upgrade something it'd be their search function, it's really bugging me, half the addresses I search for I can't fine, take "trees road" in stillorgan for example, if you go to search for address and put in city/town as dublin>county dublin and type in a number and then street, once you get to the second e of "tree" it just gives you some other place, so no "trees road" unless you go back and just click "search all" and type in "trees road" it will then come up, but it's totally random the way it works, very annoying and totally unreliable, I've to double check each address I put in online just to make sure it's right :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the reply Alun, that's a bit annoying, I think, not sure if I got my "fix" yet at all..
    (
    A "fix" is when you first bring your GPS receiver into the great outdoors (or indoors!) and have it start to receive data from the satellites. So unfortunately, you're well past your first "fix". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Patrickof wrote: »

It's 79.99 for the 2009 update.

Garmin website is quoting me USD 129.99 which is just under 100 Euros.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How do Garmin know when you first turned on your unit though?

Implicit in what Garmin is saying is that the time and date the unit got it's first fix is permanently stored in the unit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But at what point are they getting that information to be able to stop you buying the updates online?

Admittedly it's a completely different style of unit that I have that comes with no maps anyway, but when I did register it with them I just manually entered the code from the unit to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

Have just updated to new 2009 map for Nuvi 250w.

New roads have been included where I live in the south side of the Dublin Docklands in Dublin 2. Roads now include Horse Fair, Blood Stoney Road, Hibernian Road, Ropewalk way, Hibernian Road, Chimney View and Asgard Road. The only new road missing is Laser Lane. These new roads were opened from the middle of 2007 and were not in the 2008 maps released from Navteq.

This may help some courier companies to find where we live (If they update to the new Navteq maps):)

At last the stretch of Grand Canal Quay to Hanover Quay finally seems to be inaccesable as it has been pedestrianised for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

robinph wrote: »
    But at what point are they getting that information to be able to stop you buying the updates online?

Admittedly it's a completely different style of unit that I have that comes with no maps anyway, but when I did register it with them I just manually entered the code from the unit to their site.

See below extract from their website. They are forcing you to register online and as part of that registation you are required to connect the machine to the PC ( From what I recall)

Guarantee applies to one Garmin nüvi or zūmo unit. Not transferable to any other person or product. You will qualify for the free map update only if (i) you register your nüvi or zūmo online at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of your unit’s first satellite acquisition, and (ii) a newer version of the map data was or becomes available for purchase from Garmin’s website at any time up to 60 days after the date of your unit’s first satellite acquisition. You will not qualify for the free map update if you register your nüvi or zūmo with Garmin by telephone or more than 60 days after your unit’s first satellite acquisition. Limit of one free map update per unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Last year Garmin gave me a free upgrade from UK & IRL maps to full European maps on my Nuvi 300 (just had to buy an SD card to put them on)

Are Garmin doing the same this year for anyone getting the free upgrade on a unit with UK & IRL maps?

Cheers

D-M

invest4deepvalue.com

Once you get a free upgrade you'll have to pay for the next one, they have your serial number and know that you already got a freebie.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Implicit in what Garmin is saying is that the time and date the unit got it's first fix is permanently stored in the unit.
    It is :)

Take a look at the file \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml in the unit's memory (the main memory, not any SD card you have installed).

Scroll right down to the bottom and you'll see a section like this ...

<Extensions>
    <DeviceExtension xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/v1&quot; xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/v1 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensionv1.xsd"&gt;
    <Ifix>563009810</Ifix>
    </DeviceExtension>
    </Extensions>

The highlighted bit is the first fix date and time, encoded as the number of seconds since 1st January 1990.

Whether that's the actual date used for uploading to Garmin's website when you register, or whether there's another version stored somewhere a little less obvious and write protected I don't know.

Oh, another improvement is that they have much more speed limit data in there, so the little speed limit sign that appears on the left hand side of the screen appears mich more often.

Unfortunately, as you can probably guess, it seems to be riddled with mistakes, but it's better than nothing I suppose. It tried to tell me there was a 60km/h limit on the N11 by Kilpedder, when it's 100km/h. I assume they did the survey back when they had the roadworks there for the new Kilpedder interchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

IS this reading of first acquirement date not an invasion of private data, no doubt they try to cover themselves but I wonder what the data commissioner will have to say, either here or a proactive one like in the UK?

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

coylemj wrote: »
    Once you get a free upgrade you'll have to pay for the next one, they have your serial number and know that you already got a freebie.

Sorry if I phrased the question incorrectly, I wasn't expecting to get another free update on the same unit (it's been stolen), rather if I purchase a new 200W would they upgrade the maps from UK & Irl to European as part of the free upgrade in the same way as they did last year.

For anyone elses info it seems they will!

invest4deepvalue.com

It is :)

Take a look at the file \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml in the unit's memory (the main memory, not any SD card you have installed).

Scroll right down to the bottom and you'll see a section like this ...

<Extensions>
    <DeviceExtension xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/v1&quot; xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensions/v1 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDeviceExtensionv1.xsd"&gt;
    <Ifix>563009810</Ifix>
    </DeviceExtension>
    </Extensions>

The highlighted bit is the first fix date and time, encoded as the number of seconds since 1st January 1990.

Whether that's the actual date used for uploading to Garmin's website when you register, or whether there's another version stored somewhere a little less obvious and write protected I don't know.
    It certainly corresponds to my first fix, as reported on the Garmin registration page. Sadly, it's too late for me, as I registered my Zumo last week after reading this thread. ;o(

So a value of 593395200 would be a fix at approx. 12am this morning. Curious to see if it works..

It certainly corresponds to my first fix, as reported on the Garmin registration page. Sadly, it's too late for me, as I registered my Zumo last week after reading this thread. ;o(

So a value of 593395200 would be a fix at approx. 12am this morning. Curious to see if it works..
    Me too. I can't imagine they'd make it that easy though, especially if you've already registered and they have the original date in their records.

Me too. I can't imagine they'd make it that easy though, especially if you've already registered and they have the original date in their records.
    It seems like the new process is an afterthought though. Probably to reduce the number of 'late registration' updaters. It just takes one person to try it out to find out (someone who hasn't already registered).

Are you guys saying for somebody who hasn't already registered to lessen that number (is it editable) and see if it works then? I haven't registered but I've had my fix. I don't want the latest maps I don't think as I'd prefer to wait for another batch.

How often do they come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

You can buy it online for download at garmin shop

Version 2009 features include:

* now with full coverage for Baltic countries (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia)
    * over 8 million km of road coverage
    * more than 1.2 million POIs, including campsites for western Europe

Thanks got the upgrade works well
    it does download maps to mapsource and to your GPS
    under vista it install the upgrade to
    C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\City Navigator Europe NT 2009.gmap
    I would lhave liked being able to choose the directory where the install goes
    to

• Advertisement

Are you guys saying for somebody who hasn't already registered to lessen that number (is it editable) and see if it works then? I haven't registered but I've had my fix. I don't want the latest maps I don't think as I'd prefer to wait for another batch.

How often do they come?
    No, you should increase the number (such as the number I posted in a previous response). Updates are once a year. Problem is, you likely wont get the update after this one anyway(City Nav 2010). Either they'll solve this potential issue/workaround(if it works!), or they'll stop making your GPS receiver model any longer, and they'll have a pretty good idea when they stopped selling them in the shops.

Advertisement