Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless router

Options
  • 15-10-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can someone recommend to me the best wireless router to use for xbox live,
    My broadband connection is 3mb so i know that the router will slow down a little bit when it reaches the xbox.
    I've been looking at the Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless which looks like a powerful router at 300mbps but when I look it up on the xbox website for compatibility it's not listed.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Any router these days would be compatible with an Xbox, sure it's only the receiver.

They're a great router, easy to setup as well. You will have to use 802.11G because that's all the Xbox can detect. Which will be still great because it's a Range Max anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭travispickle8

Username! wrote: »
    Any router these days would be compatible with an Xbox, sure it's only the receiver.

They're a great router, easy to setup as well. You will have to use 802.11G because that's all the Xbox can detect. Which will be still great because it's a Range Max anyway.

Ok thats great so it doesn't matter if its not listed on the official website as been compatible then ??
    Is it easy to upgrade firmware for it because I never seen or used a router before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Ok thats great so it doesn't matter if its not listed on the official website as been compatible then ??
    Is it easy to upgrade firmware for it because I never seen or used a router before.
    Yeah it is, most common routers just have an upgrade button and it does it all for you.

Wireless is wireless, if you have a (modern) G router and G receiver - they'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hi All,

Can someone recommend to me the best wireless router to use for xbox live,
    My broadband connection is 3mb so i know that the router will slow down a little bit when it reaches the xbox.
    I've been looking at the Netgear RangeMax Next Wireless which looks like a powerful router at 300mbps but when I look it up on the xbox website for compatibility it's not listed.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know Range Max is a propitiatory Wireless protocol used by Netgear so unless the Xbox adapter supports Rangemax you wont get the full speed they advertise and doing a google on a couple of them they dont support it -Also if you have a 3MB DSL coming in to your house even if your signal is 802.11B it will be more than handle a 3meg connection - I recommend any decent branded router as the XBox adapter is as basic as they come and you will only get up to 802.11G speeds which is theoretically 54Mbps but in real life best case your really looking at 25Mbps

Advertisement