Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF Voters - Please apologise here.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Notorious wrote: »
    I voted FF before, I'm not sorry and I will be voting them in again.

Anything to keep Enda Kenny out.

An absolutely rubbish reason to keep the same low-grade bunch of mediocre tossers in government.

Honestly... asking some voters to even consider the other options is like asking a mule to wash your car using a pack of staples. It just isn't going happen...

How can you knock the alternative government till you've tried it? It's like saying, 'ah sure... I'll always shop in Tesco... I won't EVER check out Dunnes because they "might" be more expensive'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

BluntGuy wrote: »
    An absolutely rubbish reason to keep the same low-grade bunch of mediocre tossers in government.

Honestly... asking some voters to even consider the other options is like asking a mule to wash your car using a pack of staples. It just isn't going happen...

How can you knock the alternative government till you've tried it? It's like saying, 'ah sure... I'll always shop in Tesco... I won't EVER check out Dunnes because they "might" be more expensive'...

bingo. People are so unwilling to give the other side a chance that they'll keep voting in the same band again and again. No government should be in power for over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The HSE - An Anthem

Yo ho, yo ho, I've joined the HSE

We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot
    Drink up me hearties, yo ho
    We lie and cover up and don't give a hoot

We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack
    Maraud and embezzle and even high-jack
    Drink up me hearties yo ho

We hire all our mates, its really great
    We've unlimited funds and answer to none

We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves
    We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs

We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do-well cads
    Aye, but we're loved by our Fianna Fail friends

Lol... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

bingo. People are so unwilling to give the other side a chance that they'll keep voting in the same band again and again. No government should be in power for over 10 years.

It's called democracy, FF got more votes and formed a government, that's the system (might be about to fall but that's another thread :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Kenny wouldn't lead a pissup in a brewery. As sh1te as FF have been in government there is no viable alternative.

Since when is the ability to lead a pissup a required attriubte in a Taoiseach? :rolleyes:

I mean FFS. People talk about how Bertie looked like a fella you could see yourself having a pint with as if it was some kind of qualification for office. Exactly how many times did you sit down and have a drink with him then? How often does the chance to have a pint with the leader of your country realistically arise?

This idea that the leader of the country must be someone you think you might get on with is so irritating. You'd think that after years where it looks like the government was drunk at the wheel, that a Taoiseach who wouldn't lead a pissup in a brewery would be a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

javaboy wrote: »
    Since when is the ability to lead a pissup a required attriubte in a Taoiseach? :rolleyes:

I mean FFS. People talk about how Bertie looked like a fella you could see yourself having a pint with as if it was some kind of qualification for office. Exactly how many times did you sit down and have a drink with him then? How often does the chance to have a pint with the leader of your country realistically arise?

This idea that the leader of the country must be someone you think you might get on with is so irritating. You'd think that after years where it looks like the government was drunk at the wheel, that a Taoiseach who wouldn't lead a pissup in a brewery would be a nice change.

I think it was more the ability to lead in general that aidan24326 was talking about.
    I wouldn't have any confidence in Enda Kenny being able to lead or rule, or make any important decisions with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And yet you DO have confidence in Biffo?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think it was more the ability to lead in general that aidan24326 was talking about.
    I wouldn't have any confidence in Enda Kenny being able to lead or rule, or make any important decisions with confidence

Enda Kenny doesn't really inspire anybody, it has to be said...

But I have even less confidence in Biffo, to be perfectly honest. Are you saying he is in any way a great leader? What about him running back apologetically to Europe claiming that the Irish didn't "understand" the Lisbon Treaty, and licking the asses of his European counterparts? I feel so insulted by that. What is he trying to suggest? The Irish are too stupid to make the "correct" choice. I voted "no" and I perfectly understood the treaty. What kind of leader is that?

So think about it. Biffo and Bertie... where have they led us? They haven't displayed the ability to make coherent decisions with confidence. Rather... arrogance has been the hallmark of their decision making process. They made decisions knowing full-well the public wouldn't give a toss, and rather sadly, they were right...

And as for being able to have a pint with the leader... well, what the hell does that matter? I wouldn't care if the leader of the country was less sociable than a pack of nails... if he can do a good job, that's all that matters.

Enda Kenny doesn't really inspire anybody, it has to be said...

There's a lot of pro FF sentiment on this thread that seems to be built around the fact that Enda Kenny is a lightweight, has no charisma and does not inspire any confidence.

While its certainly no defence against the charge of backing incompetent morons - they do have a point. What sealed it for me was in the run up to the election where Bertie had to keep leaving the campaign trail to sit in a fcuking witness box and Enda Kenny still couldn't get in his knock-out punch :eek: FFS a 7 year old girl with a passing interest in politics could have ended that one in the first round [?]

Fine Gael had created a situation where many voters felt that the situation was Hobsons choice..... They need to wake the fcuk up and send Kenny to Siberia or somewhere and put Bruton to the fore.
    BluntGuy wrote:
    But I have even less confidence in Biffo, to be perfectly honest. Are you saying he is in any way a great leader? What about him running back apologetically to Europe claiming that the Irish didn't "understand" the Lisbon Treaty, and licking the asses of his European counterparts? I feel so insulted by that. What is he trying to suggest? The Irish are too stupid to make the "correct" choice. I voted "no" and I perfectly understood the treaty. What kind of leader is that?

Lisbon was an absolute joke - but then I suppose we were partially to blame after voting for Nice II like particularly obedient sheep. Why wouldn't they expect us to vote in Lisbon on the strenght of the fact that they paid people to hang photos of themselves on each and every lamppost in the land ???

As an afterthought - does anyone remember the incident where Mary McAleese flew to the US one day and told anyone that could be persuaded to listen that [paraphrase]The Irish were a pack of miserable, useless, slovenly alcoholics but we're working on it[/paraphrase] - link please, remember reading it and was absolutely disgusted in much the same way as mentioned above. Somebody please hide that girls passport so she can just concentrate on building that jetty of hers :rolleyes:
    BluntGuy wrote:
    So think about it. Biffo and Bertie... where have they led us? They haven't displayed the ability to make coherent decisions with confidence. Rather... arrogance has been the hallmark of their decision making process. They made decisions knowing full-well the public wouldn't give a toss, and rather sadly, they were right...

The public always knew that they were crooked - but there was always a "nod and a wink" attitude to this because people thought they were going to be rewarded by these tactics through low taxes etc. etc.
    BluntGuy wrote:
    And as for being able to have a pint with the leader... well, what the hell does that matter? I wouldn't care if the leader of the country was less sociable than a pack of nails... if he can do a good job, that's all that matters.

Yeah - "Bertie Ahern a real man of the people, you could have an auld pint with him on a Friday evening......." :rolleyes:

Truth is that Bertie was paying some gal [AFAIR] ~€400 a day to do his make-up and the day he passed through our office a few years ago everything that came out of his mouth was scripted - he even had a girl with a clipboard whose job it was to be 8 feet in front of his eyeline at all times choreographing his every action, comment and emotion.

- He was no man of the people in person, I guarantee you that......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    And yet you DO have confidence in Biffo?

To be frank, no, but I didn't vote for him :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

I am no fan of Enda , and think Bruton would be a better choice - but Kenny Looks and acts like a statesman - he doesnt look like a pancaked corrupt sellout like Bertie did - or a fat arrogant pig head like El Biffo .

Enda would do well with a good team around him - and its time for change - christ - the local bingo hall would manage the country better than these overpaid fcukwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Kenny wouldn't lead a pissup in a brewery. As sh1te as FF have been in government there is no viable alternative. Let Kenny and that crowd into power and you'll be crying for Cowen and the boys to come back. We are faced with different shades of grey at this stage.

how do you know he wouldn't lead a pissup in a brewery? he hasn't had the chance to lead because of people such as yourself who assume he can't. how about we give him a shot and if you're right they'll be turfed out at the next election and never get back in.

if nothing else it'll stop fianna fail being so complacent and when they get back in as you predict they'll do a better job because they actually have some fear of consequences for their actions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Raiser wrote: »
    There's a lot of pro FF sentiment on this thread that seems to be built around the fact that Enda Kenny is a lightweight, has no charisma and does not inspire any confidence.

While its certainly no defence against the charge of backing incompetent morons - they do have a point. What sealed it for me was in the run up to the election where Bertie had to keep leaving the campaign trail to sit in a fcuking witness box and Enda Kenny still couldn't get in his knock-out punch :eek: FFS a 7 year old girl with a passing interest in politics could have ended that one in the first round [?]

Fine Gael had created a situation where many voters felt that the situation was Hobsons choice..... They need to wake the fcuk up and send Kenny to Siberia or somewhere and put Bruton to the fore.
    Pretty much sums up what I feel about fine gael. They're hugely ineffectual and seem to get in on the back of farmers wives liking kenny. All they ever seem to do is moan and whine and do sod all concrete. They're like an organised(barely) version of the Irishman in the pub bemoaning his lot. I wouldn't vote for him so why would I vote for kenny and his ilk? FF are a bunch o muppets too. Major screwups over the last few years of plenty with regard to keeping an eye on the future and current infrastructure. It was like watching an 18 year old win the lotto and blowing it on a clapped out ferrari and a champagne lifestyle. The greens? Don't make me laugh. I wouldn't use them to make up the numbers at the back of a late late show audience waving inanely at themselves to the camera. Labour and the other left leaning types? Some sympathy there, but like 99% of the left winger brigade they have great ideas about spending the money wisely on social aspects, but bugger all clue about earning it in the first place.

TBH I have no clue who the hell I would vote for next time around. I'll do what I did the last time, treat it like a local election and fire in the guy I reckon is good for my area. Party politics in this country has largely descended into farce. It's like that to one degree or other everywhere mind, just I don't live everywhere so...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There was a view at the time though that if Inda Kinny was to launch an attack on Bertie, it would have been seen as opportunistic mudslinging politics. Especially when Bertie threw out the domestic problems line. To many people it would have been seen as kicking someone while they were down about a personal and very emotional issue that happened years in the past.

I don't agree with it but there is a good chance that if Inda went for the jugular at the time, people would have resented him for attacking "the people's Taoiseach" over an issue that some people thought should have stayed private.

IIRC Inda got a bit of a roasting for what would have been a fairly mild attack on the Taoiseach's finances in the Dáil.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am no fan of Enda , and think Bruton would be a better choice
    I would agree.
    but Kenny Looks and acts like a statesman
    Jumping Jesus, if Enda Kenny is an example of looking and acting like a statesman then we are truly boned.:eek::eek:

In the running of a business, the highest position I would award someone like him is middle management, as a buffer to keep all the other Dunnes stores suit wearing, meeting obsessed, flow chart drones away from the people who would and could actually run the company.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I am no fan of Enda , and think Bruton would be a better choice - but Kenny Looks and acts like a statesman - he doesnt look like a pancaked corrupt sellout like Bertie did - or a fat arrogant pig head like El Biffo .

Enda would do well with a good team around him - and its time for change - christ - the local bingo hall would manage the country better than these overpaid fcukwits.

The thing is Bruton as Minister for Finance would be hugely influential in a FG government without being distracted by the trappings of the office of Taoiseach. He wouldn't have to partake in as many state visits. He wouldn't have to be the frontman for every crisis that arises etc.

Imo Richard Bruton would be far more beneficial to the country as MoF than as Taoiseach. I'm not the biggest fan of Inda Kinny's. I still think he would do a competent job and he has a decent team around him.

I'm sick of people defending FF by attacking the alternative. "Who else would you vote for?" "At least it's not the other shower" and "Enda Kenny is a sap" are not valid defenses of FF.

I vaguely recall a poll shortly after the election which showed that over half the people who voted no did so because they didn't know what the treaty was about, despite endless ads and campaigns from both sides to inform them
    As an afterthought - does anyone remember the incident where Mary McAleese flew to the US one day and told anyone that could be persuaded to listen that [paraphrase]The Irish were a pack of miserable, useless, slovenly alcoholics but we're working on it[/paraphrase] - link please, remember reading it and was absolutely disgusted in much the same way as mentioned above. Somebody please hide that girls passport so she can just concentrate on building that jetty of hers :rolleyes:

I doubt she was being deadly serious when she said that....

Yeah - "Bertie Ahern a real man of the people, you could have an auld pint with him on a Friday evening......." :rolleyes:

Truth is that Bertie was paying some gal [AFAIR] ~€400 a day to do his make-up and the day he passed through our office a few years ago everything that came out of his mouth was scripted - he even had a girl with a clipboard whose job it was to be 8 feet in front of his eyeline at all times choreographing his every action, comment and emotion.

- He was no man of the people in person, I guarantee you that......

He turned up at my workplace two summers ago. He got out of the car on his own, walked around on his own, talked to people on his own, and then after a while got back into the car.

Don't get me wrong. I certainly wouldn't defend FF. I think they've wasted so much on so little. I just dont see an alternative in FG. I really don't. Yes there may be some change, but the same back and forth gobsheenism would be there. If nothing else then I would like to see them get the chance to prove me wrong. I won't hold my breath for that change though. I suspect a blue whale would have difficulty holding his breath for that long.

Mark200 wrote: »
    I doubt she was being deadly serious when she said that....

[?]

I was talking about Mary McAleese? - President, nice shoes?

- She's not exactly on the same circuit as Jason Byrne and Tommy Tiernan now is she?
    Mark200 wrote:
    He turned up at my workplace. He got out of the car on his own, walked around on his own, talked to people on his own, and then after a while got back into the car.

Are they still hiring down at the High Courts actually Mark? - PM me please :D

• Advertisement

[?]

I was talking about Mary McAleese? - President, nice shoes?

- She's not exactly on the same circuit as Jason Byrne and Tommy Tiernan now is she?

Clearly not since what she said isn't funny. But it doesn't mean that she meant that to be taken literally, and so you shouldn't be offended or disgusted by it
    PM me please :D
    No :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

We need a new party.

Anyone know how you go about doing that, you need to get a certain amount of signatures or something, don't you?

We need a new party.

Anyone know how you go about doing that, you need to get a certain amount of signatures or something, don't you?

Probably

I'll sign if you get the form!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »

Meh.....Sounds like work....but come here, given that this is Ireland - if I give you €50 will you pull a few strings and get something registered for us???

- Get us sorted and when we're in power at top stride and breaking all our promises I'll have a park & playground re-zoned for the shopping centre of your choice :D

So what will we call the party?

the Boards for Political Change Party? :cool:

I duno, we need something that has a cool acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was listening to the radio earlier and some oul wan was giving out about FF. Said she had always voted for them, but won't vote for them again because of the pension debacle.

Funnily enough she didn't seem bothered about the hole the rest of the country is in.

Typical Irish selfishness.
    Only change your vote when something affects you.
    Everyone else can piss off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

because any of the other partys would have done better? LOL
    Labour running the country....your kidding me right? They can't even run a party

So Sinn Féin it is then?

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio earlier and some oul wan was giving out about FF. Said she had always voted for them, but won't vote for them again because of the pension debacle.

Funnily enough she didn't seem bothered about the hole the rest of the country is in.

Typical Irish selfishness.
    Only change your vote when something affects you.
    Everyone else can piss off.

Why? :rolleyes:

Why do some people feel this need to have unconditional loyalty to a party no matter what they do?

They seriously need to wake up. There are other choices (this doesn't just apply to people that always vote FF, but people who ALWAYS vote FG, ALWAYS vote Labour, ALWAYS vote Greens... and don't consider what they're actually voting for).
    because any of the other partys would have done better? LOL
    Labour running the country....your kidding me right? They can't even run a party

How do you know?

FG and Labour (as unlikely as it seems tbh) could have done a superb job with the economy and other areas. Labour were actively calling for an end to the wasteful and immoral co-location programme (as were the greens before they tasted power).

But the majority of people felt that FF were doing a wonderful job with the economy and voted for them on that basis. And that is a sad enough fact in itself. :(

Advertisement