Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this reasonably repairable on a '97 car?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a thread on the main motors forum and got no help, really. I know you're the guys who will know if this damage is repairable. My sisters modern car (prelude) got vandalized recently- a guy gave it a fine hoofing on the quarter panel. I don't think it's straightenable. What do you think?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/daftphunck/12102008010.jpg

I'm worried that the panel beaters will assume cos it's a '97 that a mediocre job will do. The other side already had a recent 'budget' repair and another will make the whole car look like a POS (I told here to think about repainting both sides of the car now).

Is it fantasy to think a repair section from a donor might be the answer? The shape is completely lost on the swage (?) line and you can see the shut line has jumped toward the dent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to motors. This really doesn't belong in classic cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

cantdecide wrote: »
    I posted a thread on the main motors forum and got no help, really. I know you're the guys who will know if this damage is repairable. My sisters modern car (prelude) got vandalized recently- a guy gave it a fine hoofing on the quarter panel. I don't think it's straightenable. What do you think?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/daftphunck/12102008010.jpg

I'm worried that the panel beaters will assume cos it's a '97 that a mediocre job will do. The other side already had a recent 'budget' repair and another will make the whole car look like a POS (I told here to think about repainting both sides of the car now).

Is it fantasy to think a repair section from a donor might be the answer? The shape is completely lost on the swage (?) line and you can see the shut line has jumped toward the dent.

A decent panel beater would not have any difficulty reshaping the panel, problem is that to match the paint he will have to repaint the whole panel which, on a prelude, runs to the back and to the roof. This will make it expensive to do. Best option is to ask for someones recommendations for a decent bodyshop in your area and take it along for a quotation. Panel beaters will generally not do a shoddy job as they don't want to be associated with poor work.

Advertisement