Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed URGENTLY

• 15-10-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm currently in college on a library computer, I just finished typing up quite a large assignment and the thing has bloody froze before I could save it and send it to my home PC.

The thing plainly is not responding, is there any way at all in thw world that I can fix this without having to type it all out again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Voltwad wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm currently in college on a library computer, I just finished typing up quite a large assignment and the thing has bloody froze before I could save it and send it to my home PC.

The thing plainly is not responding, is there any way at all in thw world that I can fix this without having to type it all out again?

Use ctrl-alt-delete to bring up task manager. click on processes then click on cpu twice to oder the applications using most cpu time at the top. As long as your word processor programme isn't using the most you can close what is top of the list to free up the system.

If that doesn't work you are pretty much stuffed. Sometimes after a hard reboot (hold power switch in until PC turns off then turn it back on) when they are hung the doc can be recovered - but only if you have been saving as you went along.

Moral? Save continuously as you go - it saves heartache later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

If its Word 2007 it has a new feature to restore documents from the last known point! Also, if you can access the computer at all (after ending the non responding program which is more than likely Word) there should be a temp file of the file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The CPU digits are constantly changing =/ Can I shut everything but it?

Edit: It's gone I think...

I can't get into the temporary files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

is autosave not on by default? please tell me you made an initial save..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

autosave in word ?? - they dropped that ages ago for fast save

if you want to keep docs intact then
    turn off fast save - it will then be contiguous and easier to recover
    turn on always create backup copy - so you no longer have one point of failure and can revert back to the previous save

FFS 20 years ago all word processors gave you a second chance and you could nearly always recover a good bit of your docs

if the doc is corrupt then try and open it in open office as it is better at reading .DOC files than word - i'm not sure about docx but there is an openoffice add on for it, and BTW when excel files died in the days of DOS , you had a much better chance of recovering the file with Lotus 123 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement