Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVER Colored

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

14uubmc.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really like your use of colour and it's very interesting to see the pencils you started from - did you have a rough sketch you used for the colour work or was it all done from scratch?

The only complaint I have is that there are too many lens flares, they really distract the eye away from the artwork itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote: »
    The only complaint I have is that there are too many lens flares, they really distract the eye away from the artwork itself.

definitely overkill on the lens flares, they aren't adding anything and are spread very evenly over the piece thus taking away from the depth.

The colouring is very good but the you've coloured the whole image with the exception of the main foreground character with almost the same tones. Again it takes away from the depth of the piece. With the strong black on the foreground character he pops out and away from the rest of the figures but everyone elses reads like they are on the same level perspective wise when clearly they are not. Disney layout artists and background painters use the 70/30 rule to create a feeling of depth in a piece - if 30% of the piece is dark then 70% of it is light or the other way round [or 65/45] but never 50/50. Artwork needs conflict to be interesting and to make your eye more around, light and dark, solid via negative shape pushing againist each other. Image a photo that shows land and sky if 50% of the photo is land and 50% is sky its boring, there's no push or pull from either but if its 30% land and 70% sky its now interesting, theres conflict between the sky pushing down on the land and the land trying to push back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kilmyneo

Hello Fish and ztoical ;) thanks for such a reply!, the characters are scramble in different situations and becouse of that, different positions.
    This is for a cover but a middle one cover whitout title.
    Here is two samples, one without the sparkles and the other with the sparkles in the green guy wich i consider necesary becouse the light that he projected.
    111p10m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

it reads so much better without the heavy black border, it feels much bigger. I don't mind the flares on the green guy cus as you say it fits his character but if your putting them on him I wouldn't add them anywhere else in the piece. I do still think you can knock back the very very background of the piece [sky and clouds] as they are very close to the characters in colour and tone. You've also got a couple tangents that can take alittle from the sense of depth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's more like it - the white border suits it better and allows the strong black in the bottom right corner to anchor the whole piece a bit. Combined with the reduced use of flares the whole piece fits together better.

Personally I'd still like to see a bit more distinction between foreground and background (maybe by using thicker lines or more pronounced colour in the foreground, and more faded colours in the background).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dmcloughney

Hey Kilmyneo, I have to agree to Fysh and ztoical I think if you added a few more depth cues this piece would become more exciting. That said the actual picture itself is very cool, in my opinion it's your best work I've seen yet. I like the way you have your cartoony characters blended with more realistic ones ( like the guy on the horse), and the hot girl with the skeleton reflection is sweet. All your characters are very unique and all look really interesting. The colouring style suits your art aswell, its looks like a load of work to colour in, how long did it take you? These Montages can be very tricky to do and I think you have filled the page really well, good work. So whats the story? Are you realeasing this comic on the web or in print.

Hello Dmcclouhney, yes, has you guys said it need more depth, im just thinking how to do it...more depth with hard shadows in the foreground characteres? maybe this can work, becouse i really love the sky and i dont want to change it hehe.
    About the color work it took me 1 day to colour all the cover and 1 day to do the pencil and ink, all these character are in the same page as a unit. ( sometime it took me more becouse i dont have much time, this is my hobby , im a graphic designer full time ).
    This is a comic there i plan to introduce in my website .
    Thanks again for the reply´s !.
    Here is other sample with a tweak in the color and shadows.
    2zppe79.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Slothman

the colour is fantastic, and the use of the lens flare is great

Here is a Rough sketche with a Rough Color

281ycee.jpg

Advertisement