Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol now cheaper in the UK than here

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Just seen on the UK news unleaded is now £.99/L in all the major supermarkets in the UK. So that means with the current exchange rate its cheaper in the UK/North!

Unleaded here in my town has gone up to €1.30c/L.

Asda selling petrol at £.99 equates to around €1.21/L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

We pay more road tax, a massive amount more for our cars thanks to VRT, more insurance (maybe this has changed), and more VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

We pay more road tax, a massive amount more for our cars thanks to VRT, more insurance (maybe this has changed), and more VAT.

I keep asking the question- what country has motorists that are taxed more than us?? I think the answer is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there not still some garages down in the 113 range here? As theres been wholesale price cuts since the Revenue hike.

Niall Clarke in Ballymascanlon might have to haul back his 3-4c/litre hike over stations further south though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

cantdecide wrote: »
    I keep asking the question- what country has motorists that are taxed more than us?? I think the answer is none.

Singapore, Massive taxes. it pays for fully integrated public transport however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Petrol is 1.18 in my local...and that was this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course they havn't just had a budget.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Well it looks like he's shot himself in the foot the plonker!
    He said there was huge loss of revenue to Northern Ireland, because of the number of goods and services being purchased there by shoppers from the Republic. The Minister said this substantial expenditure meant the Government had to impose higher taxes for essential public services.

Minister Lenihan said this was the consequence if people opted to buy in another State. He said the only substantial 'compensatory payment' the State was getting for the loss of revenue was from Northern motorists who cross the border for cheaper petrol.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/1015/budgetlenihan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

AntiVirus wrote: »

Yes:rolleyes: it would really be worth the whole country's while to drive however many miles to the border and fill up in the UK:rolleyes:

ninty9er wrote: »
    Yes:rolleyes: it would really be worth the whole country's while to drive however many miles to the border and fill up in the UK:rolleyes:

lol!

I think some one should explain the message to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

AntiVirus wrote: »

You would have thought if he knew this was happening he would try to put measures in to reduce the numbers going cross border.

Not make it even more sense for us to go across the border for our luxurys!!!! Wine now is a must across the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, but as Lenihan points out himself, it is very worthwhile to drive up and do your shopping for the month if you're reasonably near the border.

But again - just like how SIMI are crying about people importing cars -rather than compete, our overpriced retail sector thinks they have a god..actually government..given right to keep ripping off the average punter through price-fixing and cartels, rather than compete for the business like would happen in most countries.

Once again...
    The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated
    QFT... but, not in Ireland apparently :rolleyes: :(

The main point in the link I posted is this:

"He said the only substantial 'compensatory payment' the State was getting for the loss of revenue was from Northern motorists who cross the border for cheaper petrol."

but now there going to stop buying there petrol here so he's shot himself in the foot,

the plonker!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If I didn't know you were a FF "supporter", I'd report you for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The prices being the same will mean gob****e Gormley will now see that the rise in fuel use in Ireland was due to the NIRL motorists purchasing it down here. Cheaper fuel should have been kept as it was the one thing here that was cheaper and encouraged people living on the border to buy it in the south, now that's gone and we're all going to be heading North for the essentials :D. I would love to purchase a massive off license on the border, I would be a multi millionaire within a year.

I was always under the impression that the UK factored the price of VRT into higher petrol taxes. That way motors are still affordable and can be changed every couple of years which will stimualte the economy. Now that Irish and UK petrol prices are the same we are basically paying 25% more than the UK for the "pleasure" of owning a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The situation is temporary, the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer is more than likely to stick something on petrol and wine in his budget as the UK needs the money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Quote:
    He said there was huge loss of revenue to Northern Ireland, because of the number of goods and services being purchased there by shoppers from the Republic. The Minister said this substantial expenditure meant the Government had to impose higher taxes for essential public services.

Minister Lenihan said this was the consequence if people opted to buy in another State. He said the only substantial 'compensatory payment' the State was getting for the loss of revenue was from Northern motorists who cross the border for cheaper petrol.

And these are the people who drummed into us the enormous benefits of EU free markets. I wonder if Mr. Lenihan has any idea what one is?

* apologies for the copy and paste -- couldn't find any other way of doing it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Petrol 1.189 in Jones on the Quays in Dublin, 1.199 in Palmerstown Service Station at the Chapelizod slip on the N4, 1.199 at Texaco Ballydowd on the N4, and 1.229 in Topaz in Lucan village- all this evening.

Not sure where people are paying 1.30- but its definitely not the norm in Dublin......??

Perhaps not the whole country- but there are substantial and increasing numbers of people doing a monthly grocery shop up North- according to a recent report by RGDATA, who can now be reasonably expected to fuel to their list of purchases. Its a growing trend, and in light of VAT increases, and the lack of an effective competition authority down here- likely to snowball......

I never drove from Dublin specifically for fuel- I have done (and do continue to do so) frequently for Sainsburys, M&S (with half their ROI prices), Richersounds in Belfast, Sprucefield etc. etc......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Petrol 1.189 in Jones on the Quays in Dublin, 1.199 in Palmerstown Service Station at the Chapelizod slip on the N4, 1.199 at Texaco Ballydowd on the N4, and 1.229 in Topaz in Lucan village- all this evening.

Not sure where people are paying 1.30- but its definitely not the norm in Dublin......??

Drove past 2 petrol stations today and petrol is still cheaper than diesel. Either the petrol stations didn't change the price boards or they could easily absord the 8 cent rise :confused:

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    Drove past 2 petrol stations today and petrol is still cheaper than diesel. Either the petrol stations didn't change the price boards or they could easily absord the 8 cent rise :confused:

Its actually been increased since yesterday in all of the petrol stations I named- but not by 8c in any of them...... I was most startled at how reasonable Texaco in Lucan had its prices........

Castlebar, westport, BAllinrobe most petrol stations charging between 127-130 for unleaded from today.

And yes 8c was added to the price here. 122 was the price yesterday so 130 is the 8c increase. Same with most petrol stations around town.

DonJose wrote: »

Well- its not the case around here- Diesel is now about 2 or 3c cheaper than petrol in West Dublin...... Its pretty much across the board. Obviously its more competitive here than it is in Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

MYOB wrote: »
    Is there not still some garages down in the 113 range here? As theres been wholesale price cuts since the Revenue hike.

Niall Clarke in Ballymascanlon might have to haul back his 3-4c/litre hike over stations further south though!

Petrol here is notoriously more expensive then the rest of the region because it is the last stop on the way north!

They also own a petrol station in the north on the way out of Newry heading to Belfast so he has the best of both worlds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

miceal wrote: »
    Petrol here is notoriously more expensive then the rest of the region because it is the last stop on the way north!

They also own a petrol station in the north on the way out of Newry heading to Belfast so he has the best of both worlds!

It gives all the more pleasure to pay with a fuelcard and get a Dublin based average price there, has been 5c cheaper a litre once before. Full tank that only saves me 2 quid, but the smugness remains :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Petrol stations between 9 and 10am this morning: No increases.

Petrol stations coming home at 4pm: All increased by 7-8c.

This was from town to south county dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

GigaByte wrote: »
    You're not the sharpest tool in the shed! :P

How so??

Lets see.

60l tank @ €1.21/l
    60l tank @ 99p/l

saving per litre-fuel used to get across the border/sit in a queue for 20 minutes negates any saving. You're not so sharp yourself if you can't see that:rolleyes:

How so??

Lets see.

60l tank @ €1.21/l
    60l tank @ 99p/l

saving per litre-fuel used to get across the border/sit in a queue for 20 minutes negates any saving. You're not so sharp yourself if you can't see that:rolleyes:

Not- if the fuel purchase is on a list of incidental purchases.......
    I save a couple of hundred a month on groceries and clothing by travelling North- if you add fuel into the equation, depending on where you buy, its a few more Euro on the savings list. Nothing startling, but it all adds up......

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Well- its not the case around here- Diesel is now about 2 or 3c cheaper than petrol in West Dublin...... Its pretty much across the board. Obviously its more competitive here than it is in Mayo!

This part of Mayo was always competitive with dublin, heaven knows why in the last few weeks there is such a difference now. And yes, Unleaded around town this morning is trading at 1.29/1.30 and diesel is 1.24/1.25. It takes me 2 hours to get across the border from home. Im not suggesting with my opening post that people drive across the border just for petrol, But i made a statement, that for the first time in many years fuel is the same price or cheaper in the UK than here in the republic.

I drive up to enniskillen once every 6-8 weeks for a big shop. I save a fortune, plus the fact bring booze back for people i work with.

2 bottles of spirits usually cover my petrol expenditure (With the difference in price between south and north)

I fill my freezer up at home, cupboards with food, pet food and my stair cupboard with beer:D

Only thing i buy here is milk, fruit and veg to keep me going for another 6 -8 weeks time when i nip up!!

I purchased a 42" TV mail order from richer sounds not long ago and saved 300e!!!

Thank god for the border!

Asda/Morrisons in Uk selling unleaded for 97.9p now in UK. Was on the breakfast news this morning. Price war is really hotting up there. Sterling at .80 now. It gets better and better.

Advertisement