Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol now cheaper in the UK than here

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

ninty9er wrote: »
    How so??

Lets see.

60l tank @ €1.21/l
    60l tank @ 99p/l

saving per litre-fuel used to get across the border/sit in a queue for 20 minutes negates any saving. You're not so sharp yourself if you can't see that:rolleyes:

Still not very smart I see! :D

You where the one pointing out you about driving across the border. He pointed out that Northern drivers now won't be buying there petrol in the South because of the price increase.
    He said the only substantial 'compensatory payment' the State was getting for the loss of revenue was from Northern motorists who cross the border for cheaper petrol.

Do you understand?

Ah I've just seen you're sig, no need to explain the lack of grey matter. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

GigaByte wrote: »

Have a look at my sig.

Grey matter indeed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You where the one pointing out you about driving across the border. He pointed out that Northern drivers now won't be buying there petrol in the South because of the price increase.

Do you understand?

Bingo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Have a look at my sig.

Grey matter indeed :D:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do you understand?

**Lightbulb**:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ninty9er wrote: »
    How so??

Lets see.

60l tank @ €1.21/l
    60l tank @ 99p/l

saving per litre-fuel used to get across the border/sit in a queue for 20 minutes negates any saving. You're not so sharp yourself if you can't see that:rolleyes:
    A few years ago, when I lived in the North, I used to travel about 50 miles to get petrol in Muff. We had a Clio with a 40 litre tank. If I just filled the car it was not much of a saving. However, when I filled the car and the 200 litres of jerry cans I carried it was well worth it. I knew a lot of people that were doing the same.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MrPudding wrote: »
    A few years ago, when I lived in the North, I used to travel about 50 miles to get petrol in Muff. We had a Clio with a 40 litre tank. If I just filled the car it was not much of a saving. However, when I filled the car and the 200 litres of jerry cans I carried it was well worth it. I knew a lot of people that were doing the same.

MrP

Feck- thats a lot of fuel.......
    Count yourself lucky you were never involved in an accident......

Looking at fuel prices in West Dublin this morning- they all seem to have reaccessed their prices. Topaz in Lucan village is now 123.9 for both Petrol and Diesel, Esso at Palmerstown is 122.9 for both, Palmerstown service station (serviced by Apple) is 122.9 for petrol and 121.9 for diesel, and that place on the quays is 119.9 for both petrol and diesel.

It looks like they are cross subsidising the 8c increase p/l in petrol by increasing the price of diesel, and trying to apply a similar price to each........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

MrPudding wrote: »

MrP

Most car inurance is invaladated if the car carrys more than 1 gallon of extra petrol

200 liters or 40 gallons ??? words fail me

me I use E85 @ 1.00 euro in my non fuel flex 1998 suziki swift with no problems

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Ferris wrote: »
    Singapore, Massive taxes. it pays for fully integrated public transport however.

Singapore cannot be compare to Ireland though. I have been there and it is like what Ireland would have hoped to be like if FF had spent the boom money correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Same is happening here in MAyo. They put the 8c on a litre of unleaded on wednesday, Took it off again thursday and then put diesel up 2c yesterday. So at the moment unleaded is still 1 c cheaper than diesel, most confussed. As of today here:
    Unleaded 121.9/l
    Diesel 122.9/l

Whats going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

smccarrick wrote: »
    It looks like they are cross subsidising the 8c increase p/l in petrol by increasing the price of diesel, and trying to apply a similar price to each........

Can that be legal, I am all for competitiveness but the garage owners are taking the mickey, I think the government should set a standard fuel charge across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DonJose wrote: »
    Can that be legal, I am all for competitiveness but the garage owners are taking the mickey, I think the government should set a standard fuel charge across the board.

I have to say all this bull**** makes me laugh.

Why on earth should the government set any standard price for fuel?

There is no standard price for cigarettes, alcohol, books, clothes, cars, electricity, gas, etc etc etc

What makes fuel any different.

And even if they did 'set some price' how do you suggest it could be done?

How do you set a price that allows a service station to make money when you have a little old station in the back end of donegal with 3 staff and one pump and no loans, and then you have a twelve pump, 3 car wash, 2500 Sq foot brand new state of the art tecnology and health and saftey compliant site in Dublin city with 35 staff and a 6 million euro setup cost?

Petrol is a product like all other products, people need to stop bleating on about it and stop being like sheep running around in circles giving out and making up things about a subject they know nothing about.

I repeat here for the thousandth time GARAGE OWNERS MAKE AN IRRELEVANT AMOUNT OF MONEY ON FUEL. Its not even a consideration in the scheme of things. The overall margin on fuel is under 2%, there is no other industry in the world where the margins are so miniscule. Fuel is essentially a loss leader to get you in the door to buy some sweets sandwiches, minerals etc thats where the serious money is made. And a good garage does make serious money upwards of 150k+ a year, but not on fuel, NOT ON FUEL.

Fuel will be 114c a litre on both derv and unl within the next week, yet ballygowan water is selling at about 1.89 a litre, coca cola is 2.25 a litre, beer is about 6.00 a litre, wine is about 12 a litre, vodka is about 25 a litre and these are ALL made from water. Which is free.

People really need to look at the picture here and understand for once and for all that petrol station owners make sod all on fuel, its a horrible awkward product to have to deal with and sell, its running costs are huge, the financials behind dealing in it are very difficult, and I repeat yet again there is no profit in it.

So complain about being ripped off on the price of a mars bar, a bottle of water, a sandwich, a pint, clothing, electrical goods, pharmaceuticals, road tax, mobile phone tariffs, stamp duty, bank charges and the hundred other things we get hammered for daily.

But cop on and realise that abusing some 18 year old girl on a till on a saturday morning over the fact that you've bought petrol for 2 cents dearer than the station down the road, is a bloody stupid way to live your life.

Rant over.

You may all abuse me now. But I'd rather if you did it on the forum rather than the PM's I've been getting.

Thanks.

P.S. If it really upsets you that much then shop buying fuel from people who are 'too dear', instead of posting on an internet forum and shaking your head when you drive past a garage, yes their are profiteers out there, but if no one walks into their shops they will soon change their tune. But like all things Irish we just follow the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm still paying €1.15

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got diesel @ 115.9 yesterday in Oldcastle, Meath. Petrol was 112.9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm going to name and shame here because I find it ridiculous:

Topaz (Dock Road Limerick)
    Unleaded is now at €1.30 a litre!!

Can anyone tell me how that is reasonable? Its profiteering of the lowest order...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

DarkJager wrote: »

Can anyone tell me how that is reasonable? Its profiteering of the lowest order...

absolutely agreed jager.

but the people still buy it

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Something is seriously wrong with some irish people, a petrol station is a business, business's are there to make money, if i ran a business i'd put the prices at what people would pay not at a price where i'd make just enough profit to keep me going

If a staion is at €1.30 then obviously people are paying that.
    Would you like your boss to say that he's giving you a pay cut because you're making more than you need to?

Pay the price and put up with it
    Pay the price and moan
    Shop around
    Drive less

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hammertime wrote: »
    I have to say all this bull**** makes me laugh.

Why on earth should the government set any standard price for fuel?

There is no standard price for cigarettes, alcohol, books, clothes, cars, electricity, gas, etc etc etc

What makes fuel any different.

And even if they did 'set some price' how do you suggest it could be done?

How do you set a price that allows a service station to make money when you have a little old station in the back end of donegal with 3 staff and one pump and no loans, and then you have a twelve pump, 3 car wash, 2500 Sq foot brand new state of the art tecnology and health and saftey compliant site in Dublin city with 35 staff and a 6 million euro setup cost?

Petrol is a product like all other products, people need to stop bleating on about it and stop being like sheep running around in circles giving out and making up things about a subject they know nothing about.

I repeat here for the thousandth time GARAGE OWNERS MAKE AN IRRELEVANT AMOUNT OF MONEY ON FUEL. Its not even a consideration in the scheme of things. The overall margin on fuel is under 2%, there is no other industry in the world where the margins are so miniscule. Fuel is essentially a loss leader to get you in the door to buy some sweets sandwiches, minerals etc thats where the serious money is made. And a good garage does make serious money upwards of 150k+ a year, but not on fuel, NOT ON FUEL.

Fuel will be 114c a litre on both derv and unl within the next week, yet ballygowan water is selling at about 1.89 a litre, coca cola is 2.25 a litre, beer is about 6.00 a litre, wine is about 12 a litre, vodka is about 25 a litre and these are ALL made from water. Which is free.

People really need to look at the picture here and understand for once and for all that petrol station owners make sod all on fuel, its a horrible awkward product to have to deal with and sell, its running costs are huge, the financials behind dealing in it are very difficult, and I repeat yet again there is no profit in it.

So complain about being ripped off on the price of a mars bar, a bottle of water, a sandwich, a pint, clothing, electrical goods, pharmaceuticals, road tax, mobile phone tariffs, stamp duty, bank charges and the hundred other things we get hammered for daily.

But cop on and realise that abusing some 18 year old girl on a till on a saturday morning over the fact that you've bought petrol for 2 cents dearer than the station down the road, is a bloody stupid way to live your life.

Rant over.

You may all abuse me now. But I'd rather if you did it on the forum rather than the PM's I've been getting.

Thanks.

P.S. If it really upsets you that much then shop buying fuel from people who are 'too dear', instead of posting on an internet forum and shaking your head when you drive past a garage, yes their are profiteers out there, but if no one walks into their shops they will soon change their tune. But like all things Irish we just follow the herd.
    Excellent post Hammertime.

I think one reason that people get worked up about the prices is that cartels appear to exist even though it's always strenuously denied by the fuel retailers. In my area, all the forecourts have the exact same prices, whether they are small family run enterprises or large multi-nationals so it's not that easy to shop around without driving a long way and therefore negating any possible saving.

In saying that, I am probably a 'useless' customer as I never buy anything other than the fuel! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't abuse any poor staff members about the price of fuel- I nip down to the local taxi-rank and ask the friendly (or not so friendly) taxi drivers where they buy their fuel from.

No-one has any right to abuse staff about the price of fuel- its displayed prominently outside- you entered the premises in full knowledge of what you were going to be charged.

I'm beginning to wonder just how difficult it is to make your own biofuel...... I was discussing it with a Garda friend a while back and he said the reason more people don't do it is the vast amounts of glycerine produced as a by-product, among other reasons.........

Hmmm- a little research to do, I think........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

topaz's very own fuelcard will get that for you at 118.91c/litre

I actually wonder how the fuel card system works out for privateer stations that charge higher than the norm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Excellent post Hammertime. Very well put across.

I work in the drinks industry (spirits) and due to excise you wouldn't belive the profit on a litre bottle of whiskey, its tiny.

I drive alot, yet have always thought that car tax and insurance should be abolished and the the money put on the fuel. That way the journey is taxed, and everyone is covered (state insurance) and compliant (tax). This is obviously a belief that could only become a reality if there was a viable, efficent and reliable public transport system in place across the whole of the island of Ireland, which I doubt will happen in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That is the Key ,having a relient public transport system which in early 21rst century ireland ,should be the norm instead of the dream and would go a long way to reducing the amount of cars on the road and balence out the whole structure of how people move around .But ireland is small and always was a me, individual , first society .Other european countrys with effiecent railway /public transport systems have the bank manager and the middle classes using it .It's quick and reliable .Think of the paris tube and amsterdam tram systems . The luas imo has being a big improvement in the way to get around a city .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

, coca cola is 2.25 a litre, .

No problems with the rest of your post but I hope thats not what your selling coke for. It's €1.99 for 2 litres in my local shop and €2.29 in the Texaco out on the bypass. Nitpicking I no but I had to find fault with the post somewhere.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Until you experment wih bio fuels the oil companies have you by the ****s
    I experimented and put Bio ethanol E85 fuel into my car a non flex fuel car not sopposedly able to run on ethanol but it ran OK no major issues

I got the info from the net that lots of cars will run on Ethaol E85 fuel or E85 with normal petrol mixes of sy 50/50 but the car companies under pressure from oil companies wont tell you that

But most modern Irish are scaredy cats not like the olden days when mechanics were real mechanics instead of jumped up fitters and so wont research and find out the info

The real guys laughing in your faces are me running around for 1 euro a liter for the last few months on E85 fuel and the bio deisel guys who know mix 50% diesel with 50% cooking oil for 1 euro liter in the shops and bring costs down without having to involved with the big messy operation of using 100% bio diesel with the left over glycerol

Come on with the internet and some research you can even get the car to run from going around town with a pooper scooper and fermenting the gas from that

So whiners on fuel or car forums on about the price are their own victims helpless babes in to be screwed buy the oil companies

Quit whining and get out your pooper scooper or similar solutions the solutions do exist
    Convertion kits exist to make cars run on E85 methanol natural gas bio diesels you name it but often kits are not needed if you do 50% mixes

Even add on electric drive units exist that drive the normal petrol car 20 miles in a day at 30mph which would be enough for most commuters needs

There are many solutions but if you want your petrol 200HP Merc then don't complain about the cost of the juice

Latest predicytions are fuel will drop to 80 cent for petrol and similar for diesel

Then all the fuel price whiners twots will forget the bad old days and get complacent and then in few years time the oil companies will ramp up the price and rip your faces again because you didn't plan to out manoever the oil companies

Suckers

Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How can one garage charge 114c for both diesel and petrol and the garage 500m up the road charge 124c for petrol and 128c for diesel. I don't give a flying sh!t about the cost of a mars bar cos I've never shop in a rip off garage shop. I am pissed off that the government increased the price of petrol by 8c and the garage owner decides to add half of this onto petrol and the other half onto diesel.

Rant over. Given the cost of oil now and the increase of 8c in petrol, what should a garage be charging for petrol and diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I don't think a lot of people realise this, but if it is cheaper to buy petrol here than in the North, then it means that those in the North won't buy petrol and we can tell the EU, Kyoto etc that we're cutting our transport related Co2 emissions without actually having done anything, which will reduce the amount of carbon credits etc we will have to buy, and ultimately will save us from decisions that could be take to make motorists' lives even more miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How can one garage charge 114c for both diesel and petrol and the garage 500m up the road charge 124c for petrol and 128c for diesel. .

Because they are private businesses who can charge what they like for the stock they own. Jut like every other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CL32 wrote: »
    car tax and insurance should be abolished and the the money put on the fuel
    I wouldn't think it's fair that I pay the same rate as a 17 year old male who statistically poses a much greater risk! :eek:
    How can one garage charge 114c for both diesel and petrol and the garage 500m up the road charge 124c for petrol and 128c for diesel
    It 's very simple. It's because some idiots are willing to pay it.

If more customers voted with their feet, the prices would drop.

(At least you have a choice - in my area, they all charge the same price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I wouldn't think it's fair that I pay the same rate as a 17 year old male who statistically poses a much greater risk! :eek:

Do you have those stats?

Not that I dont believe you ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement