Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetes and station operative

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

Im trying to find out does anybody know of any countrys in the world that WOULD hire you for a station operative in the railway industry??

Im just trying to do research for a case i have as i was refused employment in ireland as a station operative because im diabetic.Now i want to prove that there is countrys in the world that would hire a diabetic!

Any help would be great.

1 is possibly the uk but not sure

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What would a "station operative" be doing? I don't think you'd stand a chance as a driver or signal man, but can't see why an on platform job would be blocked as well.

I have seen stuff before about diabetics having jobs that you'd not actually normally be able to apply for, sure I've read stuff about a fireman and prison officers before. But they would have had those jobs already prior to being diagnosed and then had to fight to be able to keep their operational status rather than being put behind a desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

good source of info would be the diabetes federation - http://www.diabetes.ie/Website/content/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I would be a ticket man,dealing with passengers,on the intercom etc etc .

In ireland you cannot fly a aeroplane but in canada you can fly a passanger jet..:eek:

Also in ireland you cannot join the garda but yet in israel you can be a armed officer..

and the list of jobs go on that in ireland you "cannot" do but yet other countries you can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I cannot see any reason for them blocking that kind of job.

I know :mad: but im just trying to get a list of the countries that would employ me and have know problem,any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tv3 wrote: »
    I know :mad: but im just trying to get a list of the countries that would employ me and have know problem,any ideas??

Why would it be a problem? It's not something that i would even mention in an interview tbh, especially for the kind of job. We're not going to be anle to give you a list of countries where diabetics aren't allowed to be a station operative...

Why would it be a problem? It's not something that i would even mention in an interview tbh, especially for the kind of job. We're not going to be anle to give you a list of countries where diabetics aren't allowed to be a station operative...
    Its the same way on the driving licence you can put it on it.Also if something happened because of diabetes while you were working,well you would be in serious trouble for not telling them you are diabetic.
    I was trying to see could anybody help me thats all...

tv - i would DEFINITELY contact the idf about this - they may well be able to help. I can't believe they'd turn you down on health grounds! (and btw, I mean it's crazy, i'm not calling you a liar - other posters are the same)

I did and put me onto the equality tribunal...LONG STORY but basically cant mention to much here at the minute;)but i need to find out what other countries would employ me???

ok, understood. Folks, lets limit replies to examples and not rail at the injustice. Op, i think it's a long shot, there probably isn't a web-page with information that specific, but if anyone can help, I'm sure they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

AFAIR you can become an airline pilot in canada if you have good control so I guess a station operative could potentially also be allowed. Cant remember where i read this though

EDIT:Linky

edit 2: note to self "read previous posts"

SeaSide wrote: »
    AFAIR you can become an airline pilot in canada if you have good control so I guess a station operative could potentially also be allowed. Cant remember where i read this though

EDIT:Linky

edit 2: note to self "read previous posts"
    Yes you can be a airline pilot,armed police,emergency services and the army etc in other countries but NOT in ireland.Im sure you can challange either of the companies that refuse you with equality.

Unless they specifically mention it as an exclusion during a medical then there is no reason to mention diabetes when applying for any job. If there is no medical required then it is not an issue.

robinph wrote: »
    Unless they specifically mention it as an exclusion during a medical then there is no reason to mention diabetes when applying for any job. If there is no medical required then it is not an issue.
    If you drive you must have it on your licence that you are diabetic because if you have a accident you are actually driving without a licence !
    Yes they ask in the medical ie..do you have asthma..do you have diabetes..etc etc

Advertisement