Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Walcott short intro and conclusion to his poetry about half page?!

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Right I'm studying the poetry of Derek Walcott and I want to prepare a general intro and conclusion to his poetry.I was thinking several people could contribute ideas and we could all benefit.This is what i have so far

I enjoyed the poetry of Derek Walcott because the rich nature of the language used throughout his poems made them very accessible to me.Seamus Heaney once stated that Walcott "possesses English more deeply and s more sonorously then most of the English themselves". I agree with this view as i feel Walcotts writes majestically particularly in "Summer Elegies" and "Norlene". Both focus on relationships and i enjoyed this because relationships play a big part of my life and of course every other teenager in this country.I also appreciated Walcotts use of visual tactile and aural nature imagery throughout "For Adrian" and "Endings".The varience of themes these poems encompass is very impressive and relevant to me personally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

(Seamus Heaney has a lot of opinions doesn't he? I just used him in a Larkin question the other week!)

Also do your own homework :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, writing someone else's personal response to a poet is certainly a difficult task...

Main things to remember about writing intros and conclusions:

1. Don't be listy in the start, ie, "The poems I studied are x, y, z, a, b". Weave them in.
    2. Relate it back to the question! Always back to the wording of the question.
    3. Concusions - basically just summarise what you already said, once again, relating back to the question.
    4. And try and sound sincere, and not like the mere thought of this poet puts you in ecstasy. Saying things are fantastic all the time becomes hollow very quickly. (Having a good vocabulary of positive words makes this easier to manage.)

Not saying the OP did these things or anything, I'd just much rather give general help than specific answers. (Also I study science now, I don't intend on writing any more essays ever again ever.)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

OMG!!!!!

whatever you do do not, butter your intro up with either accquired language or copied statements. the opening has to be simple and must refer back to the question asked eg why you enjoy his poetry and you must respond with "I enjoy because" and the outline clearly three reasons why you enjoy his poetry also explaining why you are choosing the reasons you enjoy then follow the chronology of your intro through the essay!

Make sure it's informative, clear, and refers to the question asked that has been baited into me and our class!!!!
    :D

Advertisement