Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

configure smart broadband for gaming?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I just got smart broadband set up on the advice of people on this forum. I got the 45 euro one. I did two quick tests on speedtest.net and got downloads of 2397kbps and about 4000kbps - it's fast enough. The latency on that site was 79 and 80 ms.

But when I try to connect to servers in steam it's very slow. I get pings of 50-60 some of the time but they keep fluctuating between that and 200+. Is there any way I can cnigure it to improve this?

I've tried it with the cable connected as well as with the wireless connection (surprisingly the faster speedtest speed was with the wireless connection).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Probably a NAT (port forwarding) issue. Check out www.portforward.com and see if your router model is there. There should be instructions for setting up the correct ports for the games. There are Steam tutorials there anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pwd wrote: »
    I just got smart broadband set up on the advice of people on this forum. I got the 45 euro one. I did two quick tests on speedtest.net and got downloads of 2397kbps and about 4000kbps - it's fast enough. The latency on that site was 79 and 80 ms.

But when I try to connect to servers in steam it's very slow. I get pings of 50-60 some of the time but they keep fluctuating between that and 200+. Is there any way I can cnigure it to improve this?

I've tried it with the cable connected as well as with the wireless connection (surprisingly the faster speedtest speed was with the wireless connection).

Thanks

Post a request for them to deactive interleaving and move you to fast mode instead. This may impact your line stability though.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Post on the Smart forums if you continue to have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I set up the port forwarding as per the instructions on that site, but it doesn't seem to have effected the issue at all.
    I posted on the gamers forum on the smart forums.

What effects does turning off interleaving have?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pwd wrote: »
    I set up the port forwarding as per the instructions on that site, but it doesn't seem to have effected the issue at all.
    I posted on the gamers forum on the smart forums.

What effects does turning off interleaving have?

It reduces latency, but at the cost of less resilience to line noise. As to how successful this will be will depend on your line quality.

• Advertisement

I've put in a request to have interleaving turned off.
    If that doesn't work the inter mightn't be the only thing that's leaving :)

Wow that was fast :). Apparently my line is excellent and interleaving should be off in the morning.

working fine now. Don't know if the interleaving was removed already then. Got 5380kbps on speedtest.net now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

All profile changes are sent to the DSLAM overnight so normally you should now have it turned off now. That is the standard response time by Smart Tech support, CS is another can of worms though.

Posting on their forum is about the best way for getting Tech support as the lads and lasses usualy reply quite swiftly to questions and requests.

MC

It's just gone down...hopefully just because they're turning off interleaving..?

• Advertisement

back again now. 5639kbps on speedtest now and 61ms ping.

Advertisement